Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Nice politicians answer there. Or rather non answer.

My original post stands, nothing you've offered shows otherwise. I understand it, you don't.

To answer your question, If you're offside, you're offside - the tech they're using doesn't prove it on marginal calls though as there's a significant margin of error when using a paltry 50 fps.

My opinion on tech in football has always been goalline tech and gross misconduct only, nothing has changed that opinion this season, merely strengthened it
What non answer? You have stated that fps can't show when the ball left the players foot...
Mate that's not how it works, when you understand offside and var, please come back.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know VAR isn't perfect, but is it only there because of the abuse the officials got before it's implementation?
Previously fans/managers/players complained how crap the officials were constantly and how wrong they were etc.....now it's VAR. Wheres the respect for the offcial, whether theyre right or wrong?
Rugby manages to maintain respect, why cant footy?

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyway onto the actual game

Impressed with Coady at the back for Wolves , he was superb - as was Gomez for us - not sure why Coady hasn’t been given a call up yet

Wolves have a lot of talented players but they are also physically strong team and can see it was a very good battle. Happily have Traore or Raul at Liverpool

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
What non answer? You have stated that fps can't show when the ball left the players foot...
Mate that's not how it works, when you understand offside and var, please come back.

OK, well 50 fps can't show when it touches the foot. Same thing.

You might understand offside to the letter (pat on back and gold star) but you don't understand VAR and the limitations of tech for use to judge offside.

The direct question was the one you dodged. You know, ends in punctuation '?'

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
OK, well 50 fps can't show when it touches the foot. Same thing.

You might understand offside to the letter (pat on back and gold star) but you don't understand VAR and the limitations of tech for use to judge offside.

The direct question was the one you dodged. You know, ends in punctuation '?'
No they are not even close to being the same thing.
Is it perfect? No I don't suppose it is, but it's way better than anything an assistant ref can manage.
What is it you don't like about it? The chance the offside is wrong or the fact it's being given at all for the tiniest of margins?

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
No they are not even close to being the same thing.
Is it perfect? No I don't suppose it is, but it's way better than anything an assistant ref can manage.

You either choose the first frame the ball is in contact with the foot, or the last one. You've proved its the first, that's fine, but it's literally the same generalpoint.

At 50fps there's a 20cm margin of error.

VAR is then calling it as literal, black and white, no error margin, when it clearly isn't. Anything at less than 20cm is guessing - and suddenly were back to my very first post.

If it continues to be used for offside they need to introduce the equivalent of umpires call to acknowledge the current limitations of the technology.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ll say from the offset that I always believed that VAR couldn’t work in football and right now it’s shocking

One of the things that is good in regards rugby , cricket and even hockey is people can hear what is going on - they can hear the discussions between the ref and the VAR ref - that allows any confusions to be cleared up

This is how they do it for football in Aus

takes under a minute , you can hear why VAR is being used and you can hear why they changed to a red - simple , clean and quick

With offsides - need to have a tolerance and have a “ref call” - also remove the lines

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Arteta has realised what a big job he has. I thought Arsenal were looking lethargic again in the last twenty minutes and perhaps even thinking the game was run. Really can't see them getting any form of European football next season.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
You either choose the first frame the ball is in contact with the foot, or the last one. You've proved its the first, that's fine, but it's literally the same generalpoint.

At 50fps there's a 20cm margin of error.

VAR is then calling it as literal, black and white, no error margin, when it clearly isn't. Anything at less than 20cm is guessing - and suddenly were back to my very first post.

If it continues to be used for offside they need to introduce the equivalent of umpires call to acknowledge the current limitations of the technology.
The problem is the focus on just the very tight calls and overlooking the improvements.
Assistants are told to keep the flag down if it's tight in the knowledge that VAR will be there if needed.
Think how many attacks were stopped in the old days due to an offside call that never was. Now they are encouraged to go on.
No doubt it can be improved but it is a million times better than a assistant can be in real time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think Arteta has realised what a big job he has. I thought Arsenal were looking lethargic again in the last twenty minutes and perhaps even thinking the game was run. Really can't see them getting any form of European football next season.

You think he realised today? What did he learn today that wasnt blatantly obvious before? Think the one with the realisation today might have been Lampard!

We were way better today, so much better than we have been, better structure, better formation, better Ozil, Torreira was brilliant, Aubam chased every ball back, we just didnt last the 90 out with yet another defensive injury, a joke referee decision not to send Jorginho off, a couple of individual errors and a general lack of confidence.

We have a defense that consists of an 18 year old winger at left back, a 21 year old midfielder at right back, Sideshow Bob and Mustafi in from the cold after 20 mins and you think they thought the game was done at 1-0 against a top 4 side? Was the complete opposite, nervous and lacking in confidence in a game they couldve long since put away!

Europes long been gone, staying up and planning for next year is all we have to play for and have had for a while, hopefully we can strengthen with a defender or two and a midfielder in January and build for next season

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anyway onto the actual game

Impressed with Coady at the back for Wolves , he was superb - as was Gomez for us - not sure why Coady hasn’t been given a call up yet

Wolves have a lot of talented players but they are also physically strong team and can see it was a very good battle. Happily have Traore or Raul at Liverpool

Coady would get destroyed in a back 2, needs to play in the middle of a three and cant see the system changing.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not talking about VAR.

Thought considering the changes we made today we gave an excellent account of ourselves. Kilman and Bennett have hardly played all season and slotted in nicely. Vinagre is going to be a special player too.

Onto Watford.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is the focus on just the very tight calls and overlooking the improvements.
Assistants are told to keep the flag down if it's tight in the knowledge that VAR will be there if needed.
Think how many attacks were stopped in the old days due to an offside call that never was. Now they are encouraged to go on.
No doubt it can be improved but it is a million times better than a assistant can be in real time.

So youre still not going to explain to those less educated amongst us why we are wrong and youre right?

D

Deleted member 15344

Coady would get destroyed in a back 2, needs to play in the middle of a three and cant see the system changing.
England have at times played with a three - he was impressive today

Will also add your manager has a touch of glass about him

Just seen the first City goal - that appears to be shocking from the ref to not stop play

D

Deleted member 15344

So West Ham have gone back to Moyes - I can see them getting relegated