Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The offside rule hasn’t changed but the level of detail that VAR go down to is very subjective and can cause issues - I think there have been 3 or 4 times someones “armpit” has been offside which to me seems ridiculous but it appears it’s part of the rules.

The main issue for me is using the lines and still pictures - it got to be so hard to find the “exact” moment the ball leaves the players foot and then aligning that to when forwards movement

the changes I would like to see are

1. You hear the communication between the ref and video ref so we all know what’s going on

2. Offside - there needs to be a tolerance, a “refs/linesman” call for example where is that tight they go with the call made on the pitch - they also don’t show the lines to everyone as it confuses the matter

3. Maybe go to a “clear daylight” rule - only offside if there is clear daylight between the defender and attacker

4. Handball - if it hits the handball it’s a foul - accident or not
The frame used is first contact with the ball , rather than when the ball leaves the foot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s sensible until someone is onside by a baggy shirt etc, it’s still a mm decision, moving the mm in favour of the attacker will cause more issues for a defender.
Until the technology is sorted there will still be controversy.
Possibly right.
But it would help the attacker to stay onside if he is visibly level .
If he is 100% offside he can’t really complain.
There really isn’t an answer technology wise, you are off or not shown by the tech correctly.
It’s the rule that needs changing.

D

Deleted member 16999

Possibly right.
But it would help the attacker to stay onside if he is visibly level .
If he is 100% offside he can’t really complain.
There really isn’t an answer technology wise, you are off or not shown by the tech correctly.
It’s the rule that needs changing.
But we should be helping all players on both sides, not just the attackers.
Defenders will start getting slated for mistiming their movements etc.
The whole thing is a shambles!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But we should be helping all players on both sides, not just the attackers.
Defenders will start getting slated for mistiming their movements etc.
The whole thing is a shambles!
Agree the last bit.
It’s entertainment apparently but chalking off goals is putting people off the game.
It might stop teams playing for offside and just mark your man.

AS for helping all players the handball rule discriminates between them!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
So why was the Wolves goal canceled out ?

And more so, like many instances like this, where’s the actual advantage and to whom ?

I go back to my original point. Look how thick the lines are they use, it's down to an individuals interpretation where they put them. Is that blue line exactly on the edge of the Liverpool players knee? Doesn't look like it to me, looks to be an inch or so onto his kneecap. And how many milimeters was the Wolves player "offside" by?
It's a shambles at the minute and too open to how good an individual can draw a thick line accurately on a fuzzy picture.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking out loud - what about only the goal scorer can be offside. So that would stop goal hanging etc. Can't recall which dodgy VAR (Wolves?) but the player deemed offside was in the build up...

Or a 20yd line or something - can't be offside unless inside that...

It'll never happen but perhaps football needs to have a radical rethink.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I go back to my original point. Look how thick the lines are they use, it's down to an individuals interpretation where they put them. Is that blue line exactly on the edge of the Liverpool players knee? Doesn't look like it to me, looks to be an inch or so onto his kneecap. And how many milimeters was the Wolves player "offside" by?
It's a shambles at the minute and too open to how good an individual can draw a thick line accurately on a fuzzy picture.
Line thickness is not relevant and the VAR refs use a 1 pixel line for the measurements.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Line placement is relevant though, that's where it comes down to interpretation. The photo Fish posted shows the line inside the kneecap of the Liverpool player IMO, not on the edge as I'm guessing it should be.
Ok fair enough, so we scrap it for a year and come back with a new fangled 100% accurate super high def, AI powered , machine learning super system.
It's still gonna give offsides for wafer thin margins and people are still going to lose their mind over it.
I don't know how you get around that.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok fair enough, so we scrap it for a year and come back with a new fangled 100% accurate super high def, AI powered , machine learning super system.
It's still gonna give offsides for wafer thin margins and people are still going to lose their mind over it.
I don't know how you get around that.

Definitely ?
I'm just pointing out the flaws in the system, it's supposed to reduce human error but by design it has introduced it into the system.
Imo if the line had been drawn correctly onto the edge of the defenders knee the goal would have stood.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I've go to plenty of games and no I don't get angry. Time is added on for VAR stoppages, I'd agree the offside seems really harsh, but that's not VAR , thats the offside rule as it stands being implemented and VAR being used to check it.
Line thickness is not relevant and the VAR refs use a 1 pixel line for the measurements.
Is a 1pixel line used when the ball has left the passer of the balls foot.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You think he realised today? What did he learn today that wasnt blatantly obvious before? Think the one with the realisation today might have been Lampard!

We were way better today, so much better than we have been, better structure, better formation, better Ozil, Torreira was brilliant, Aubam chased every ball back, we just didnt last the 90 out with yet another defensive injury, a joke referee decision not to send Jorginho off, a couple of individual errors and a general lack of confidence.

We have a defense that consists of an 18 year old winger at left back, a 21 year old midfielder at right back, Sideshow Bob and Mustafi in from the cold after 20 mins and you think they thought the game was done at 1-0 against a top 4 side? Was the complete opposite, nervous and lacking in confidence in a game they couldve long since put away!

Europes long been gone, staying up and planning for next year is all we have to play for and have had for a while, hopefully we can strengthen with a defender or two and a midfielder in January and build for next season
I think you summed it up perfectly.
It must be so frustrating to here people talk total garbage.
To get Arsenal actually playing decent football and to look relatively solid after 2 games deserves credit.
Both goals for Chelsea could quite easily have been have been avoided and problems if the first never went in the 2nd wouldn’t have.
Even DT was pleased with the performance.

D

Deleted member 1740

Taylor blew because he believed he saw Lallana use his arm, that was a definite infringement in his mind and therefore he can blow immediately.

Yes that's understandable but this is the same ref that thought he seen Alonso foul gazzaniga last week ?? Had he blew the whistle before the ball is in the net VAR would not have been able to overturn it.

I go back to earlier in the season when Aubamayeng was offside but the liner kept his flag down as he was told too at the start of the season, Matip put the ball out and Arsenal got a corner they shouldn't have had because Aubamayeng was offside.

Until we get a better standard of refs nothing will improve.