Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Look you can argue all day and night what’s right and wrong with VAR. The bottom line is that in its present format is it is crap. You can argue all day that we know what is and isn’t offside. But If someone said at the start of the season you can be offside by a finger am sure that something would of been said. Here’s a thought let’s have players running like sodden penguins. It is crap. Accidental handball by a forward that led to a goal. VAR disallowed. Accidental handball by a defender play on. The game is dying on its arse.
Am off coz Ave just come back from a game that armchair fans couldnt watch. ? But don’t worry VAR turned up again.
Me am off coz am surfing the net looking for a comfy chair for next season.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Look you can argue all day and night what’s right and wrong with VAR. The bottom line is that in its present format is it is crap. You can argue all day that we know what is and isn’t offside. But If someone said at the start of the season you can be offside by a finger am sure that something would of been said. Here’s a thought let’s have players running like sodden penguins. It is crap. Accidental handball by a forward that led to a goal. VAR disallowed. Accidental handball by a defender play on. The game is dying on its arse.
Am off coz Ave just come back from a game that armchair fans couldnt watch. ? But don’t worry VAR turned up again.
Me am off coz am surfing the net looking for a comfy chair for next season.
Your fingers, hands, arms , can't be offside. So no one would've said that.
What would be good is if people took the time to understand the offside rule.
How VAR is applied to it.
The steps that are gone through to make it as accurate as possible.
How it hands the advantage to the attacker, which is What I'm told people want .

Last edited:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So why was the Wolves goal canceled out ?

And more so, like many instances like this, where’s the actual advantage and to whom ?
Not for his hand...
I don't understand the anger , you're either offside or not.
This is just TV being used to implement the existing rule.
VAR isn't a rule.
I'm 100% sure it can be improved, but unless you change the rules then you're going to continue to get these tight decisions.

D

Deleted member 15344

And more so, like many instances like this, where’s the actual advantage and to whom ?

It’s the left foot/toe that is offside

As for the advantage - as with most of the VAR offsides so far there is next to zero advantage.

By the “letter of the law” he is offside but it just doesn’t seem right

D

Deleted member 1740

Probably because the wolves players foot is ahead of the Liverpool defender.

One thing for sure VAR has been consistent with the offside decisions.

On a separate point, why did Taylor blow for the goal, I thought refs were told to let play run then if they score then they’ll look at it for any fouls etc.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not for his hand...
I don't understand the anger , you're either offside or not.
This is just TV being used to implement the existing rule.
VAR isn't a rule.
I'm 100% sure it can be improved, but unless you change the rules then you're going to continue to get these tight decisions.

Go to a game where VAR is used. Stand around for a minute or so once your team have scored, like sheff Utd did last night. See the implementation of var in the offside rule and tell me you dont get angry. If the current offside rule is so good, why Is Graham sounesses idea being touted as better than the current VAR/ offside ruling. Answer, coz its rubbish

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Go to a game where VAR is used. Stand around for a minute or so once your team have scored, like sheff Utd did last night. See the implementation of var in the offside rule and tell me you dont get angry. If the current offside rule is so good, why Is Graham sounesses idea being touted as better than the current VAR/ offside ruling. Answer, coz its rubbish
I've go to plenty of games and no I don't get angry. Time is added on for VAR stoppages, I'd agree the offside seems really harsh, but that's not VAR , thats the offside rule as it stands being implemented and VAR being used to check it.

D

Deleted member 16999

As Carragher pointed out to Souness there would still be a “line” all Sousness’s idea was, any part of the attacker being onside means he’s onside, ie, the measurement will move front the front of the attacker to the rear.
It’s not an answer it’s another smudge!

D

Deleted member 16999

Probably because the wolves players foot is ahead of the Liverpool defender.

One thing for sure VAR has been consistent with the offside decisions.

On a separate point, why did Taylor blow for the goal, I thought refs were told to let play run then if they score then they’ll look at it for any fouls etc.
Taylor blew because he believed he saw Lallana use his arm, that was a definite infringement in his mind and therefore he can blow immediately.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Carragher pointed out to Souness there would still be a “line” all Sousness’s idea was, any part of the attacker being onside means he’s onside, ie, the measurement will move front the front of the attacker to the rear.
It’s not an answer it’s another smudge!
It would make it easier for a striker to stay onside / level and not be offside by an armpit/ toenail.
It’s a sensible suggestion imo.
As it’s very controversial now.

D

Deleted member 15344

The offside rule hasn’t changed but the level of detail that VAR go down to is very subjective and can cause issues - I think there have been 3 or 4 times someones “armpit” has been offside which to me seems ridiculous but it appears it’s part of the rules.

The main issue for me is using the lines and still pictures - it got to be so hard to find the “exact” moment the ball leaves the players foot and then aligning that to when forwards movement

the changes I would like to see are

1. You hear the communication between the ref and video ref so we all know what’s going on

2. Offside - there needs to be a tolerance, a “refs/linesman” call for example where is that tight they go with the call made on the pitch - they also don’t show the lines to everyone as it confuses the matter

3. Maybe go to a “clear daylight” rule - only offside if there is clear daylight between the defender and attacker

4. Handball - if it hits the handball it’s a foul - accident or not

D

Deleted member 16999

It would make it easier for a striker to stay onside / level and not be offside by an armpit/ toenail.
It’s a sensible suggestion imo.
As it’s very controversial now.
It’s sensible until someone is onside by a baggy shirt etc, it’s still a mm decision, moving the mm in favour of the attacker will cause more issues for a defender.
Until the technology is sorted there will still be controversy.

D

Deleted member 16999

The offside rule hasn’t changed but the level of detail that VAR go down to is very subjective and can cause issues - I think there have been 3 or 4 times someones “armpit” has been offside which to me seems ridiculous but it appears it’s part of the rules.

The main issue for me is using the lines and still pictures - it got to be so hard to find the “exact” moment the ball leaves the players foot and then aligning that to when forwards movement

the changes I would like to see are

1. You hear the communication between the ref and video ref so we all know what’s going on

Only those watching on TV will know what’s going on, won’t help those in the ground.

2. Offside - there needs to be a tolerance, a “refs/linesman” call for example where is that tight they go with the call made on the pitch - they also don’t show the lines to everyone as it confuses the matter

You can’t have a tolerance without a measurement, the only people that see the lines are the viewer, so again has no impact on those there.

3. Maybe go to a “clear daylight” rule - only offside if there is clear daylight between the defender and attacker

My worry with that is you’d still have a pause to measure and what if an attackers trailing arm or heel is in line with the defender, so offside when 99% of his body is onside.

4. Handball - if it hits the handball it’s a foul - accident or not

Giving a penalty for an accident would be unfair to me. But agree the law needs clarifying.

D

Deleted member 16999

Leave VAR alone until the end of the season and then carry out a full review.

Nothing off the table, ie, Bin it, Change the laws etc.

Involve Refs, Players and supporters.