Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The technology is nowhere near precise enough to know the exact moment the ball left the foot. So when you're talking mm difference there is huge impact in frame by frame. On the close ones they're guessing.
I'd agree with that, with the addition that it's taking 3 minutes to arrive at the decision as well which is far too long. If the referee looking at a screen still couldn't separate the players then they're level and that should be onside, in my opinion. If the forward's ear is a mm beyond the defender's toe he is not gaining any advantage and we do not need to waste 3 minutes of our lives trying to rule it to that ridiculous degree.

D

Deleted member 16999

Well if it wasn’t for VAR Wolves would of won 1-0 because of 2 human errors.

VAR isn’t perfect, but the technology is the same for everyone, same margin of errors, same fps, nobody moans about it when it goes in their favour.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well Wolves certainly deserved a point from that and that Offside goal is far too marginal to call and it just doesn’t seem right , the first one was how VAR should be used to correct an obvious error but the offside- nah it’s just not right and just like the Pukki goal imo shouldn’t be disallowed.

On the last two performances you can see Wolves well in for a CL spot

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd agree with that, with the addition that it's taking 3 minutes to arrive at the decision as well which is far too long. If the referee looking at a screen still couldn't separate the players then they're level and that should be onside, in my opinion. If the forward's ear is a mm beyond the defender's toe he is not gaining any advantage and we do not need to waste 3 minutes of our lives trying to rule it to that ridiculous degree.

You play competitive 11 a side as well don't you?
When you're up against the last defender you're not thinking "are my toes onside" "is my armpit onside" you go with the general line of your torso or head. It's crackers at the minute, it should be a fixed position on the body which is offside not any goal scoring part. As for margins of error, is what we see on TV the same as what they see in the VAR studio? The lines they use look really thick and its total guesswork (from what I can see) as to where they place the lines.
And I was all for VAR before the season started.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Well if it wasn’t for VAR Wolves would of won 1-0 because of 2 human errors.

VAR isn’t perfect, but the technology is the same for everyone, same margin of errors, same fps, nobody moans about it when it goes in their favour.

It was the same for everyone before VAR?

If the technology can't guarantee a correct decision then why do we use it?

'Minimum interference, maximum benefit' was their laughable promise.

D

Deleted member 16999

It was the same for everyone before VAR?

If the technology can't guarantee a correct decision then why do we use it?

'Minimum interference, maximum benefit' was their laughable promise.
You can only go with the technology available, it’s not the fault of the technology if there is no margin for error, the fault lies with the PL and the FA.
When VAR is used and it shows an attacker is onside by the narrowest of margins nobody complains, show they are offside by the same amount and people moan.

VAR itself is not the issue, it’s the people using it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So it's perfect and there is no margin of error?
In cricket they have umpires call where the decision is so close that they allow for a bit of wriggle room. The offside by 1cm should really come under that territory. I don't believe the tech can be as precise, the lines as sharp, as they are currently working to.

D

Deleted member 16999

In cricket they have umpires call where the decision is so close that they allow for a bit of wriggle room. The offside by 1cm should really come under that territory. I don't believe the tech can be as precise, the lines as sharp, as they are currently working to.
And in Cricket they still get it wrong, see the Aus v NZ test this weekend.

D

Deleted member 16999

That one passed me by ?. I don't expect perfection, there will still be judgement calls on decisions, but the Norwich game the other day was embarrassing and Wolves have had 2 bad ones in 2 games.
That’s because it’s only the wrong that are highlighted.

It’s absolute ar5e, but the issue is with the rules and the way VAR has been implemented.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
You can only go with the technology available, it’s not the fault of the technology if there is no margin for error, the fault lies with the PL and the FA.
When VAR is used and it shows an attacker is onside by the narrowest of margins nobody complains, show they are offside by the same amount and people moan.

VAR itself is not the issue, it’s the people using it.

Why do you have to go with the technology available?

D

Deleted member 16999

Why do you have to go with the technology available?
The guys in Stockley Park can only use the equipment in front of them they’ve been trained on. I’d hope as the technology improves and becomes available it will be brought in.

VAR isn’t going away, what are you suggesting?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I thought Souness was talking sensibly about VAR. He said that football was about entertainment and on that basis he believed that the rule needed to be changed so that if any part of the player was onside, then he was onside.
Seems reasonable to me. Gives benefit to the attacking side.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Youre ranting about a system you don't understand.
I'm happy with it for offsides, are you suggesting we allow people to be just a little bit offside?

Nice politicians answer there. Or rather non answer.

My original post stands, nothing you've offered shows otherwise. I understand it, you don't.

To answer your question, If you're offside, you're offside - the tech they're using doesn't prove it on marginal calls though as there's a significant margin of error when using a paltry 50 fps.

My opinion on tech in football has always been goalline tech and gross misconduct only, nothing has changed that opinion this season, merely strengthened it