Preferred lies...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a lot of green keepers who do not think that.
Basically moving a ball from a piece of ground that is need of repair to another one which does not has the nett effect of creating two pieces off ground that are now in need of repair.
That depends on if the original divot has been filled with seed and sand.
But if it hasn’t then you are correct.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep. But I'd much rather be playing a softly flighted chip over a greenside bunker from a preferred lie than a fairway mat.
Much better chance of a 4 for 3 on the way to 46 points.
Cushty.

Or a divot that has had no growth or recovery and crumbles as soon as you look at it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Am I correct in saying that you’re a member at Farnham?
Played against your Hogs Back league team last Saturday! Good group of lads!
Correct…I’ve played a couple of times for our Hogs Back team but not for a couple of years, I know them all pretty or very well…just typical Farnham members in truth.

Visit site
Correct…I’ve played a couple of times for our Hogs Back team but not for a couple of years, I know them all pretty or very well…just typical Farnham members in truth.

The poor chap that I played against (Stu off 3) fell over on one of our hills whilst playing a shot out of the heather, he landed awkwardly on top of his wedge - almost had to concede, it looked pretty painful. Your team captain, Paul I think, was less sympathetic ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place has roped off pretty much every approach to every green, large areas of fairways and common areas. The membership is up in arms about it. It does make using a trolley hard work (having to leave it and walk to and from your bag). The old boys on their "scootays" are ready to lynch someone

D-S

Visit site
Our place has roped off pretty much every approach to every green, large areas of fairways and common areas. The membership is up in arms about it. It does make using a trolley hard work (having to leave it and walk to and from your bag). The old boys on their "scootays" are ready to lynch someone
I assume this to decrease wear? I know this is common when courses are wet but I have never seen it when they are bone hard.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume this to decrease wear? I know this is common when courses are wet but I have never seen it when they are bone hard.
When it’s this dry you can just separate the blades from the roots.
This can cause disease in the grass.
The wheels of scooters are the worst more so than a trolley just because of the weight.
And all the seniors doing wheelies!;)
Tbh this is worse than wet conditions grass in this country is not used to such high temps.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All approaches to our greens are lined ensuring that trolleys and buggies do not go onto the aprons, sensible move and doesn't affect play.

sunshine

Visit site
If the fairways are rock hard like concrete, what’s the point of a trolley / buggy ban and roping off areas?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I
If the fairways are rock hard like concrete, what’s the point of a trolley / buggy ban and roping off areas?
I didn't mention a ban, trolleys and buggies are just being directed away from the aprons which are mainly still benefitting from the greens being watered.