Preferred lies...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On some of our fairways it would make no difference (same applies in Winter).
Got to be honest, it won't really help at ours!!
I'm playing in an open at Effingham on the 22nd. I'm hoping that as it's a parkland, there might be a little more grass on the fairways than there is at Cooden at the moment...???

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Would make little difference at the course I officiated at yesterday, a combination of slopes and burnt grass meant fairways were almost impossible to find, even by the skilled players on show.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why we don’t play proffered on fairways all year round has always boggled me. Pro’s get it after heavy overnight rain on perfectly manicured and tested courses yet the club hacker playing on over used, under maintained tracks do not- if a pro can’t play of a damp fairways they should change career!

Preferred lies at the moment for courses in my area.

D-S

Visit site
Burnham and Berrow have, I understand, just introduced mandatory mats on the fairways. I would like to think they are discounting the £130 green fee but can't see mention of it on the website.

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Come on smiffers, it’s good to talk. Get it if your chest.
Pampered bloody pros, that's all.
Perfect fairways, perfect greens, perfect rough, perfect bunkers, perfect weather, hundreds of spectators to find their ball, yet they shout "mud ball" if the bloody thing goes offline by ten yards.
If we played regularly in those conditions we'd all be ten shots lower than we are now...
?????

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pampered bloody pros, that's all.
Perfect fairways, perfect greens, perfect rough, perfect bunkers, perfect weather, hundreds of spectators to find their ball, yet they shout "mud ball" if the bloody thing goes offline by ten yards.
If we played regularly in those conditions we'd all be ten shots lower than we are now...
?????

And we’d get some serious ribbing from our p/p’s!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We have introduced preferred lies on fairways only at Westerham, following the recommendation from England Golf. According to the advice, it will help with playing out of old divots. Grass has a chance to recover in "normal" conditions, but in a drought or severe dry weather, it will stand no chance.

D-S

Visit site
We have introduced preferred lies on fairways only at Westerham, following the recommendation from England Golf. According to the advice, it will help with playing out of old divots. Grass has a chance to recover in "normal" conditions, but in a drought or severe dry weather, it will stand no chance.
Doesn't this mean that players will move their ball from a scruffy area (or divot) into the best bit of grass within 6" and then destroy that? will that really help recovery?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Doesn't this mean that players will move their ball from a scruffy area (or divot) into the best bit of grass within 6" and then destroy that? will that really help recovery?
Possibly, possibly not. Just stating the advice from England Golf.