Preferred lies...

D

Deleted member 15344

Preferred lies will help the golfers, not the course.

Amazing how Bigga and our greenkeeper and i suspect other greenkeepers think differently

It’s the same when courses go to mats is it not - the grass won’t be growing so they take away the impact

D-S

Visit site
Amazing how Bigga and our greenkeeper and i suspect other greenkeepers think differently

It’s the same when courses go to mats is it not - the grass won’t be growing so they take away the impact
I know a lot of green keepers who do not think that.
Basically moving a ball from a piece of ground that is need of repair to another one which does not has the nett effect of creating two pieces off ground that are now in need of repair.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wild ?

Surely you have seen courses where the fairways haven’t had water for 2 months , the picture of the whole country should give you a good picture

And these are parkland , inland courses where the soil underneath reacts differently to a links course - the ground at courses are cracking , divots won’t be able to repair for weeks maybe months , when the rain does come some of these fairways will turn to mud.

We are very lucky we are able to put water on the course - but not every course is that lucky and preferred lies will help those courses

The picture you posted of southern England is absolutely wild.

I'm in ireland. 2 months with no rain is non existent.

Big cracks appearing on fairways is something I haven't encountered. Even when I lived in liverpool.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep. But I'd much rather be playing a softly flighted chip over a greenside bunker from a preferred lie than a fairway mat.
Much better chance of a 4 for 3 on the way to 46 points.
Cushty.
Interesting. At my club everyone remarks how easy it is to play a flop shot over a bunker from a mat.
The long game into the wind is a different story as the spin is off the charts.

D

Deleted member 3432

Interesting. At my club everyone remarks how easy it is to play a flop shot over a bunker from a mat.
The long game into the wind is a different story as the spin is off the charts.

Chipping off mats can make you feel like Seve at times, it's just so easy.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The picture you posted of southern England is absolutely wild.

I'm in ireland. 2 months with no rain is non existent.

Big cracks appearing on fairways is something I haven't encountered. Even when I lived in liverpool.

We're fortunate in having fairway irrigation - from our own borehole - so the fairway grasses are fine. But we are based on horrible London Clay. The irrigation system is only good enough for the grass & isn't enough to stop dessication & shrinkage of the clay subsoil. Which means we do now have some impressive cracks in the ground. And they are deep. There's plenty of cracks big enough to lose a ball down, and some almost big enough to put your foot in. Fortunately the worst of the cracking is just off fairways.

The real trouble is that the clay subsoil is now so dessicated, that it won't be remedied (ie rehydrated) without prolonged periods of wet weather. A couple of good downpours won't be enough. And for us, prolonged wet weather means mud ...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
thats the tee…watered…halfway towards the green the first cut rough changes to watered fairway
Most of the holes at my course are tree lined and run N/S S/N. The odd few that have E/W W/E trees are noticeably greener.
Although we have our own aquifer we don't water the fairways.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The top pic is our 4th at the beginning of July. The others from last week. Not the best pics but you get the idea.

We have massive cracks in the rough, the fairways are starting to crack, most of the ponds are dry or nearly dry. We’ve just started drilling on a 120m deep borehole.

The rough hasn’t grown like it normally does. A good lie anywhere other than a tee or green complex is hard to come by.

30-C3-DE04-33-C4-4-A1-D-AFF2-F4520702-E173.jpg

579301-C9-9-D81-4-C75-B6-A8-656-BA17-CADA4.jpg

EF277-ABC-B26-A-4-AEA-8-B47-C4153-F4-DDB86.jpg

greenone

Visit site
I started playing golf when I was a kid in the middle East and I would have killed to play on courses in the conditions shown in the pics above.

Rules of desert golf: If it was on the fairway (a mixture of sand and crude oil rolled with a roller) you got to use a mat, if it was off the fairway you played it as it lies. The browns (crude and sand mixed together and brushed) had to be brushed after every group, and if you stepped on someone's line on the brown you'd get some serious stick!