Preferred Lies - Winter extension

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our greenkeeper has been reporting for some time that ground (as opposed to) air temperatures have been too low for proper germination and growth. He has had similar comments from around the county from others. Apparently it was a common topic at the recent BTME.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had an extended period of PL.
Two round major this weekend.
Saturday PL,Monday No PL
There will be a few caught out by this no dought.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our greenkeeper has been reporting for some time that ground (as opposed to) air temperatures have been too low for proper germination and growth. He has had similar comments from around the county from others. Apparently it was a common topic at the recent BTME.
Yes this is true.
if you have a mix of grasses in your greens they grow at different rates depending on the ground temp at night not during the day.
This is what can make them a bit bumpy early in the season.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Amusingly our website has a big banner on the course status tab saying, "Winter Rules no longer apply "

Above it it says "buggies not permitted " which means mucky in places.

Going up for a social game this afternoon, I wonder what I'll find?😁

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We’ve not asked for an extension. We need one as the fairways are still a bit of a mess.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played at 3pm. Virtually every shot off the fairway would have needed varying degrees of a "clean."

No idea why we haven't asked for an extension.
I don't think there is a restriction on "Muddy Ball" Lift, Clean and Replace.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry.... I don't follow.

We've had winter rules suspended. Play it as it lies. If there's muck on it, too bad.

Unless I'm missing something
I'm suggesting Local Rule E-2 Cleaning Ball could be used instead of E-3 Preferred Lies

E-2 Cleaning Ball​

Purpose. When ground may cause mud to stick to the ball, the Committee can choose to allow the player to mark, lift, clean and replace the ball in the general area.
Such relief should be limited to those portions of the course where needed.
eg It could be restricted to the fairway

D-S

Visit site
I'm suggesting Local Rule E-2 Cleaning Ball could be used instead of E-3 Preferred Lies

E-2 Cleaning Ball​

Purpose. When ground may cause mud to stick to the ball, the Committee can choose to allow the player to mark, lift, clean and replace the ball in the general area.
Such relief should be limited to those portions of the course where needed.
eg It could be restricted to the fairway
So this local rule could be limited to closely mown (fairway height or less) areas? This would seem like the simplest solution for “mud balls” that I am surprised it is not used more often.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So this local rule could be limited to closely mown (fairway height or less) areas? This would seem like the simplest solution for “mud balls” that I am surprised it is not used more often.
I am guessing because too many members would not see the subtle difference between replace and place.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am guessing because too many members would not see the subtle difference between replace and place.
When we have either or both both in operation we highlight the significant differences on the "Winter Conditions" notices (on the two boards, on the website and emails sent to all members.