Preferred Lies - Winter extension

D-S

Visit site
Given the incredibly wet March and first half of April, it is likely that some clubs will be looking for extensions of preferred lies beyond the sanctioned 30th April end of month cut off.
Is there any advice as to how long extensions may be granted and rationale for extensions given? Over and above Club/HC/Greenkeeper opinion of course.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure there is, whenever clubs I have been involved with have asked it's been granted based on quite flimsy submissions. County Associations generally are fully aware of local course conditions and will grant genuine requests. Pretty sure one year our county gave a general extension for the whole of May as it had been so wet.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your County Union or Association will extend the limit if approached with sensible information. Depending on the size of the county, members of the county board should be familiar with local (and often club) conditions. We have extended to end May before now.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We frequently keep preferred lies until the start of June - with County approval of course. We ask & County approves. I think its a shame when we have to but it's often necessary

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

England Golf​

As of 1st October 2022, through to 30th April 2023 (inclusive), preferred lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less are permissible. Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they are to seek approval from their County, who would look at things on a case-by-case basis.​

Until 30 April no special permission is needed

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
dont Think our club asks for any kind of permission. Just decide on the day if it is merited

If you mean outside of the allowed period any club can do this if they wish but all comps would be non qualifying and nobody would be allowed to put in a general play card. It is a handicapping rule.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It is usual for a 1 month extension to be granted by the County when a club applies.
Think it depends on conditions at the time and clubs needs. I expect here in the East Midlands our county will give us a full month, but with the proviso if conditions improve quicker than expected that we don't use the full month. Might be wrong though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was one of those responsible for the decision, we would usually have a very good knowledge of the courses making an extension request. Sometimes we would suggest that PL was restricted to those specific holes we knew had issues. Those courses always knew what to expect.

badgergm

Visit site
If you mean outside of the allowed period any club can do this if they wish but all comps would be non qualifying and nobody would be allowed to put in a general play card. It is a handicapping rule.
Yes, I’m aware of the rule. But I doubt its paid any attention.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I’m aware of the rule. But I doubt its paid any attention.

We get reminders from the club fairly often and within the swindles that I play in most will remind others if they try to put one in.

It is hard thing for clubs to monitor as most use the EG app these days.

I suppose it is like golf itself it relies upon players own honesty to abide by the rules.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Placing irritates me in South Africa because you can ( https://www.handicaps.co.za/hna-newsletter-july-2022/ ) and irritates me in England because you can't. Just the other day, I decided to do a risk-and-reward shot over a bunker from a long way back (long way for me :)) which succeeded but when I got there, the ball was in a divot the depth of the Grand Canyon but narrower than a club head. I don't really understand how anyone could have actually made that chasm.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
EG have now extended the time for PLs to 14th May before having to ask for permission.

Edit: Please be advised that ‘PREFERRED LIES’ may continue to be used by all clubs affiliated to YUGC / YLCGA until midnight on the 14th May.

Last edited: