Preferred Lies - Winter extension

D-S

Visit site
It does seem odd that a properly drafted and worded Local Rule is not applied by Clubs, despite their own perceived need for it, as they think their players will not be able to adhere to it. Does this apply to any other rules? Should rules that are considered too easily broken exist in the first place?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It does seem odd that a properly drafted and worded Local Rule is not applied by Clubs, despite their own perceived need for it, as they think their players will not be able to adhere to it. Does this apply to any other rules? Should rules that are considered too easily broken exist in the first place?
Personally I would prefer to avoid as far as is sensible having to consider sanctions on players for breaking the rules in club golf. Constantly changing LR's when there are well recognised alternatives doesn't seem sensible to me. We all know that club golfers generally have very little grasp of the rules. Over this last winter I have had to correct players at least half a dozen timed on the procedure for relief from a plugged ball. Was rolling the ball out of the hole was ever the right way?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Over this last winter I have had to correct players at least half a dozen timed on the procedure for relief from a plugged ball. Was rolling the ball out of the hole was ever the right way?
Do you mean there is actually a 'way' ? Surely not ? If there is, then no wonder most golfers have given up playing by the rules as written and just play with a bit of common sense. Rules really need to have a serious look at themselves.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The ball needs to be dropped in accordance with the procedures in Rule 14.3 in the relief area described in 16.3b. It isn't all that complex or mysterious.
Aware of that. (Most, though not all, golfers probably are")

I thought you meant that taking relief from the plug mark by rolling it out of it was verbotten, and that the roles specified a specific extraction method !

A la :

Procedures for taking Relief from a Plugged Ball
14.7f
Removing the ball from its plug
This Rule applies to the deliberate “lifting” of a player’s that is plugged. The ball must be extracted by an exclusively vertical lifting motion, with the ball gripped by the thumb and forefinger. Either digit may extend into the ground, to, but no deeper than the bottom of the ball. Artificial tools or implements may not be used, nor, the ball simply rolled, scooped, or otherwise prised in an angular or twisting manner, out of the hole. If the player lifts in a manner other than described herein, the player gets one penalty stroke.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Aware of that. (Most, though not all, golfers probably are")

I thought you meant that taking relief from the plug mark by rolling it out of it was verbotten, and that the roles specified a specific extraction method !

A la :

Procedures for taking Relief from a Plugged Ball
14.7f
Removing the ball from its plug
This Rule applies to the deliberate “lifting” of a player’s that is plugged. The ball must be extracted by an exclusively vertical lifting motion, with the ball gripped by the thumb and forefinger. Either digit may extend into the ground, to, but no deeper than the bottom of the ball. Artificial tools or implements may not be used, nor, the ball simply rolled, scooped, or otherwise prised in an angular or twisting manner, out of the hole. If the player lifts in a manner other than described herein, the player gets one penalty stroke.
Can you provide a source for that "rule"? I don't ever recall seeing that in the Rules of golf?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hope it has occurred to ours to do the same. I may give a nudge.

Very often, 4 of us in social games will decide to have preferred lies, if no one is submitting a general play.
I’ve been told that our club applied to Leicestershire, but they have not given an extension as under WHS it would not give a level playing field. Played a match on Monday and had to play the ball several times with mud on it. That doesn’t appear to give a level playing field compared to courses that drain better.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I’ve been told that our club applied to Leicestershire, but they have not given an extension as under WHS it would not give a level playing field. Played a match on Monday and had to play the ball several times with mud on it. That doesn’t appear to give a level playing field compared to courses that drain better.
Our club website today says preferred lies.
When our course still needs preferred lies, I prefer not to play in handicap qualifiers. It just tells me the course is not yet fit.
First comp for me looks like being the 20th.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As EH have given a national extension Leicestershire should not be overruling it.

E-2 Cleaning Ball does not need County approval

D-S

Visit site
As EH have given a national extension Leicestershire should not be overruling it.
I haven’t seen anywhere that EG have given a national extension (indeed our Regional Advisor told us on 24/4 that there were no plans to do so from EG as it is down to the individual Counties - have they changed this policy?), although of course any County can give extensions either to individual clubs or to blanket ones.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Played at Alford yesterday (with preferred lies in a counting competition) and queried with the starter if they had asked for an extension for preferred lies.

His response - the greenkeeper had decided it should be preferred lies after heavy rain Monday.

As it was there was a PCC of 3

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven’t seen anywhere that EG have given a national extension (indeed our Regional Advisor told us on 24/4 that there were no plans to do so from EG as it is down to the individual Counties - have they changed this policy?), although of course any County can give extensions either to individual clubs or to blanket ones.
Seemingly EG have given Yorkshire permission to make an extension for their clubs. I assumed it would be countrywide. Apparently not.
The CONGU Guide does not say just what the National Associations have delegated to the Regional Associations re course conditions.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Really we are in Leicestershire and have been given an extension of up to 2 weeks.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ll be very surprised if there is any course that hasn’t asked for an extension for Preferred Lies , we have all had a lot of rain , cold days and a lack of consistent growing weather. GK reckons we are about 3/4 weeks behind but it’s going to change and over the next 2 weeks the growth will start

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We got this on an email update a few days ago:
"Middlesex County Golf Union have extended the preferred lies period to Midnight on Sunday 14th May."

Everywhere I've played in the last few weeks is still very muddy. That kind of sticky mud that absolutely cakes your golf ball as well.