Preferred Lies in Winter

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are too far from a links course, try a heathland course, the drainage is almost as good :)

Having said that, Swinley Forest have preferred lies all year round according to the notice board!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As regards cleaning the ball when it's plugged in the rough, this is what we do at my club, then drop it no nearer the hole within a clublength. I was under the impression (from the tv I think) that anytime you have the ball in your hand, you can clean it. With the exception of if you have to move it to let someone else play a shot when you hold it between thumb and forefinger before replacing it. There's not much point dropping from a plugged lie if you've still got half the course stuck to your ball.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an aside to that are you happy to be paying for, at best, 9 months golf a year?

This has to be one, if not, the best reasons for playing at a links course. Along with the fact that we only have placing on the fairways as the greenkeepers are busy straightening out tee boxes and building new bunkers :p
Think its just something we have to accept living in ireland tho isnt it ? dont even know where the nearest links is to me mate . Dublin i persume , not a fan of links golf at the best of times tho , as said a while back i just dont get it .. each to their own tho , the idea of the 13 holes is so everybody get a round in , thats a time thing rather than any fault with the course , as in reply to a stevek post before our course is in good nick at the min , we suffer with hard running fairways & tight lies in the summer but the upside is we very seldom have to close after rain ..

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think its just something we have to accept living in ireland tho isnt it ? dont even know where the nearest links is to me mate . Dublin i persume , not a fan of links golf at the best of times tho , as said a while back i just dont get it .. each to their own tho , the idea of the 13 holes is so everybody get a round in , thats a time thing rather than any fault with the course , as in reply to a stevek post before our course is in good nick at the min , we suffer with hard running fairways & tight lies in the summer but the upside is we very seldom have to close after rain ..

Not really at my place we never are on a reduced course unless it is frosty when they throw us on 1 temp normally. I wouldnt be happy shelling out to only play the full course 9 months of the year at best.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you accomadate all your members tho, surely last time away is 12ish if everybody plays 18.. can add another hour on if everybody plays 13 & everybody plays in the comp , .. as i said the only reason for reduced course is time constraints , course is playable ..

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally PNP short grass only, winter rules require flag in or out (no attending) to prevent wear around the hole, rarely have we had PNP everywhere.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
our time sheet goes up 10am 8 days in advance of club comps . by 11 there would be very few times left .. do ye not have many members or do they just not play in the comps ? even in the summer our comp sheets fill up fast but then times run til 4 - 4.30pm so there is no panic geting a game .

Apologies im drifting away from OP ..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The answer to this is to not have comps in winter. Can't see why you would want to compete in a qualifier with lumpy slow greens anyway. Especially if the ground is wet enough for pnp.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The answer to this is to not have comps in winter. Can't see why you would want to compete in a qualifier with lumpy slow greens anyway. Especially if the ground is wet enough for pnp.

They are not qualifiers at our place though, simple turkey comps before Christmas where winners get Turkey only reductions by 3 shots, second place gets a 2 shot cut and 3rd gets 1. Winter league then kicks on the first week of the new year for 10 weeks or so using standard handicaps, again non qualifying as lift, clean and place all over the course is in force. Just a cruel fact of winter golf for parklanders.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mate of mine won a comp at Highwoods a couple of years ago. Playing off 9, he shot a nett 62. Great going I thought....until he told me they were playing "preferred lies" in the rough too!
Took a bit of the gloss off of it, that did.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't see an issue with running comps as qualifiers throughout the year providing it isn't on temp greens. I have no issue with putting on winter greens. Play less break and hit it harder. If it bobbles then swear a little, kick your partner in the shin and move on