Preferred Lies - Winter extension

D-S

Visit site
My county has received requests for extension from less than half the clubs - extensions for 2 weeks have been granted to all those that have asked, the others are either playing with a lot of mud balls, not playing qualifiers or breaking the rules.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Essex Golf Union have been given permission and extended to 28th May. Clubs can decide between this period whether they remove prefer lies or not.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have Essex on their own initiative give permission or did EG give permission to Essex?
It reads as follows on their notification:

"England Golf have now confirmed that as Area Authority for Essex we are able to extend the current period within which the use of preferred lies is allowed. An extension of the normal preferred lies period through to 28th May 2023 is now available. This is due to the exceptional weather conditions which have prevailed over the last few months."

So I'd say EG have given them the go ahead.

D-S

Visit site
However, this is from England Golf’s recent update:-
Preferred lies update

As of 1 May 2023, through to 30 September 2023 (inclusive), preferred lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less are NOT permissible.

Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they should seek approval from their County, who will look at each situation on a case-by-case basis.​
Also from the EG Winter Golf Checklist published in January:-
Preferred Lies
Ensure that all members and visitors are aware of the preferred lies period, which runs from the 1st of October through to 30th April each year. Any extension of preferred lies past the 30th of April, must be approved by the relevant County.

So Essex had this authority all along anyway.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My county has received requests for extension from less than half the clubs - extensions for 2 weeks have been granted to all those that have asked, the others are either playing with a lot of mud balls, not playing qualifiers or breaking the rules.
....or don't have any soft condition issues, or are happy to play the ball as it lies.

Our ladies asked yesterday if there was any decision to extend the "Wet Lies Ruling" :rolleyes: , I've genuinely taken less than half a dozen preferred lies through our April medals and hardly seen anyone else do so either, the short answer was of course no.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm tired, but I can't see why there is a 'preferred lies' rule and also a 'winter rules' one.
Winter rules - in place for all for a set period
(General) Prefered lies - need to ask relevant association for an exception to playing the ball down outwith the "winter rules"

wjemather

Visit site
I'm tired, but I can't see why there is a 'preferred lies' rule and also a 'winter rules' one.
The two things are often conflated; however, one has a specific meaning, while the other does not.
Preferred lies (MLR E3) is one of many seasonal local rules that are commonly referred to as winter rules. Others include lift clean and replace (MLR E2), compulsory use of fairway mats (MLR E12), etc.

Last edited:

tobybarker

Visit site
The two things are often conflated; however, one has a specific meaning, while the other does not.
Preferred lies (MLR E3) is one of many seasonal local rules that are commonly referred to as winter rules. Others include lift clean and replace (MLR E3), compulsory use of fairway mats (MLR E12), etc.
so, E2 (possibly anywhere on the course) means mark first, E3 (closely cut areas only) don't need to mark....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll be very surprised if there is any course that hasn’t asked for an extension for Preferred Lies , we have all had a lot of rain , cold days and a lack of consistent growing weather. GK reckons we are about 3/4 weeks behind but it’s going to change and over the next 2 weeks the growth will start

We removed winter rules on the 1st May. There was a lot of growth the week before, fairways had been fertilised and there had been rain. Trouble was on the 1st May (Bank Holiday weekend) there had been minimal maintenance and the fairways were like playing from the first cut rough.

Jason.H

Visit site
Today was our monthly medal. Terrible mud balls and I must of had 5 plugged balls. We should of still had placing imo. Though someone shot a gross 70 with mud balls...