Practice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure we have a dedicated thread for those that like to work or tinker with their games. If so can the mods please close this or merge

As you may know from the playing thread, my golf is in a very good place AT THE MOMENT!!!! since I started utilising the Eureka Swing and my back is not suffering at all. This means I've been able to practice this week. I hit some balls on Tuesday to play around with the Eureka swing and set up and try and see where the boundaries were in terms of set up etc and managed to find something very interesting that has helped so feel that is in a good place ready for the weekend

Long time forummers will know it is the short game that has plagued my game for years. It comes and goes but when it goes it really does. I went up there last night to work on the chipping (Dan Grieve method). Whether it is coincidental that my game is in a good place but I really found something and my short game is as on point as it has been for ages. Of course the proof will be at the weekend when I play

As a serial practicer and tinkerer and with the season in its infancy I thought it would be interesting to hear what other forum members are working on, and why, and how they are getting their game honed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just can't stick with it. After I had that lesson in Jan I was going to the range once a week for a little while - but it's like going to the gym, I just get bored before very long and stop making time for it. If I was going to work on something right now it'd be driving, as I developed something of a two-way miss - but even then, hitting range balls that don't spin off a fat rubber tee which I'm not sure is the right height doesn't really appeal! Haven't been to a range in a month now I don't think.

One thing I have enjoyed doing lately is popping down to my club's putting green with my wife tagging along - we had a little putting competition against each other so that was a far more enjoyable way to practise. Hopefully we'll be able to keep doing that, my putting seems to fluctuate wildly between very good and 'completely lost the plot', so if I can stay on top of it, even that should have a positive effect on scores this year.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Normally practise a lot over the winter, but this year was non-existent due to the weather, simulator bore’s me and I prefer grass to mats.
So I feel I am 4-6 weeks behind starting this season.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just can't stick with it. After I had that lesson in Jan I was going to the range once a week for a little while - but it's like going to the gym, I just get bored before very long and stop making time for it. If I was going to work on something right now it'd be driving, as I developed something of a two-way miss - but even then, hitting range balls that don't spin off a fat rubber tee which I'm not sure is the right height doesn't really appeal! Haven't been to a range in a month now I don't think.

One thing I have enjoyed doing lately is popping down to my club's putting green with my wife tagging along - we had a little putting competition against each other so that was a far more enjoyable way to practise. Hopefully we'll be able to keep doing that, my putting seems to fluctuate wildly between very good and 'completely lost the plot', so if I can stay on top of it, even that should have a positive effect on scores this year.

I bet she’s frilled with the opportunity to watch you leave it short in damp conditions!

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I only really tend to use the range in winter when course time is more limited. Other than that, most of my practice is done out on the course. I’m afraid I just find range work boring, and even Trackman doesn’t stimulate my grey matter greatly, as I really don’t trust a lot of the feedback it gives, especially yardages.

The only exception is my short game. I do work quite a lot on my chipping and putting, as that is the area of my game where I tend to throw away the most shots.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My practice usually consists of me spraying my 7i club face with strike spray, then hitting a ball, checking where on the face I hit the ball - re-spray - repeat 24 more times. I’m not bothered about backswing or follow through…just stance and address position, then the strike.

I want it to be just toe side of centre and not off the bottom grooves. That’s it. And I decide before I hit each time whether straight or fade - only very occasionally towards the back end of the session do I think about trying to hit a draw.

Mandofred

Visit site
I like to practice, but currently don't have a field I can practice on. Driving range close to the course, but I'm too cheap to use it unless I'm desperate. I need a field of up to 100yds....I put out cones at various distances from 20 to 90 yds and just work on hitting to certain distances. I LIKE to use my own golf balls and actually like to go pick them up....breaks up the practice session.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Practice twice a week, usually before work

55 range balls on half a dozen shots with every other club through the bag with extra on whatever club misbehaved last time out. Takes about 45 mins
Then 20-30m mins at short game area, its usually quiet so that's about another 50 balls in chips from various lies
Then 15 minutes or so putting (putting is a strength so gets less time) one putting green is big and flat the other has slopes so I choose which one I want to work on

This mornings practice went pretty well (which is ominous for tomorrows game!)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I let technique overtake my mind and spent the last two years with a coach who could simplify it for me. I’ve since done some clay Ballard top speed golf work which has fixed some foundations and I’m playing well.

Presently I’m working on Dan grieve short game techniques.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to practice loads, but mainly short game stuff and putting. Not so much long game unless I need to change something. However, I always make sure that I hit balls before a competition. Not practice per se but just to find out which way the ball is going for the day. You don’t get to single figures by just pounding ball after ball down the range. ⛳

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Short game was sharp in March, I actually love short game practice so spent a couple of hours down the chipping green. Short game has deserted me….

It’s all mental I know, golf is a game of confidence!

Albo

Visit site
When I do practice, which isn’t nearly often enough, I spend a lot of time trying to hit different shots or different parts of the club face.
So I may stand there and try to hit a fade, then a hook, then a slice, straight, draw, one heel side, one out of the toe etc. Then I’ll start to try and refine which part of the club face I access, slightly toe side of centre, the more toe side, then more toe side.
I find it helps on days when you are on the course and everything is going right, you have an awareness of how to correct things and what a fade versus a slice feels like, or if everything is coming out toe side, you can work it back towards the heel as you know what that feels like.

mister v

Visit site
I had a lesson early this year from my son. I was massively over swinging, arms bent , too fast, no rotation and generally all over the place. He got me to shorten up the back swing which lead to a much more controlled shot and un surprisingly is a game changer.
The big positive about the shocking weather we’ve all been experiencing in the uk is that I could only go to the range for my golf addiction
I have put the effort in and have kept practicing the shorter swing, arms straight etc and I’m really chuffed with the results I’m getting and I’m going to stick with it.
Im currently at 13 hcp but hopefully can get down a shot or 2 this season