practice swing in a hazard?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I believe that would be a 2 stroke penalty.

Cant remember the number of the rule, im not that good :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you allowed to take practice swings in a hazard ( water) and the club touch grass growing in there?

Yes you are!

See Decision 13/4-4 here http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=CF062D30-4976-4117-8E1A-D579C4732916

Not quite a myth, but very often penalised when it shouldn't be.

If, however, the practice swing is sufficiently hard that it breaks the grass, it's almost certainly a breach of 13.2 - improving the lie.

Touching is Ok. Scything isn't!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the rule. In my awful foursomes match yesterday we made the 18th (36th) and were in a dry hazard - yellow stakes. My young partner was unsure what club she'd need and, as is her way, viewed the shot with a different wedge in each hand. Our horrid opponents shouted to her "you can't ground your club in the hazard" and totally phased her. She was stood way behind her ball, one club in each hand deliberating the shot and if they had even touched the hazard they certainly wouldn't have broken the rules - or so I thought. She was very anxious afterwards though and twice asked me to check with them that it was ok as she felt they might think it wasn't. I told her I'd deal with it and not to worry and she had done nothing wrong...

Reading the rule I was right - right??

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the rule. In my awful foursomes match yesterday we made the 18th (36th) and were in a dry hazard - yellow stakes. My young partner was unsure what club she'd need and, as is her way, viewed the shot with a different wedge in each hand. Our horrid opponents shouted to her "you can't ground your club in the hazard" and totally phased her. She was stood way behind her ball, one club in each hand deliberating the shot and if they had even touched the hazard they certainly wouldn't have broken the rules - or so I thought. She was very anxious afterwards though and twice asked me to check with them that it was ok as she felt they might think it wasn't. I told her I'd deal with it and not to worry and she had done nothing wrong...

Reading the rule I was right - right??

If she was resting the club on the ground inside the hazard and the grass was compressed and taking the weight of the club, then that is grounding the club and liable for the penalty. If she just held then out in her hand and they were merely brushing the top of the grass then that is OK

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes you are!

See Decision 13/4-4 here http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=CF062D30-4976-4117-8E1A-D579C4732916

Not quite a myth, but very often penalised when it shouldn't be.

If, however, the practice swing is sufficiently hard that it breaks the grass, it's almost certainly a breach of 13.2 - improving the lie.

Touching is Ok. Scything isn't!

Thank you Foxholer i incorrectly thought anything growing in the hazzard was part of it and i couldnt touch it .. learn something new here regularly .. good to know.. Ta

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thank you Foxholer i incorrectly thought anything growing in the hazzard was part of it and i couldnt touch it .. learn something new here regularly .. good to know.. Ta

Anything growing in the hazard is 'part of the hazard'. The prohibited actions that might apply are 'grounding the club', 'testing the surface' and 'improving the lie'. Touching stuff that is growing is not deemed to be doing any of those, though touching or moving a Loose Impediment is (with a couple of exclusions).

@Amanda. Did you consider suggesting to the opposition that might care to take a 2 shot penalty for offering advice? It's generally not (there may be some wordings that actually are!), but it would have certainly put the wind up them! :whistle:

And it's quite legit to take your entire bag into a hazard! Just make sure you don't do any of the prohibited actions. In particula, make sure you final selection of club before taking your stance - as subsequent change would result in a Penalty for 'testing the surface'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In particula, make sure you final selection of club before taking your stance - as subsequent change would result in a Penalty for 'testing the surface'.

[h=2]13-4/26[/h][h=4]Taking Stance in Bunker and Then Changing Clubs[/h]Q.A player takes his stance in a bunker and firmly places his feet in the sand. He then leaves his position to change clubs and thereafter takes his stance a second time. Is the player considered to have tested the condition of the hazard, contrary to Rule 13-4?
A.No. Rule 13-3 allows a player to place his feet firmly in taking his stance in a bunker or elsewhere. There is nothing in the Rules to prohibit changing clubs or taking a stance twice in a bunker.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

this rather depends on where you 'scythe' in relation to your ball!

there's a philosophical argument that once you have cut the grass it's become a loose impediment - so it you subsequently touch it with your club it's a penalty; but that aside, the real 'risk' in swinging in such a manner in a hazard is that there is a loose impediment where you are swinging ie a blade of detached grass, small twig etc

IMO it's definitely to be avoided unless you want a pythonesque argument with fellow competitors or opponents. However, on it's own it's not a breach of the rules.