Practice on the course

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we set up/allow the back 9 of of our course to be used for general play rounds. Is player playing holes on the front 9 before hand to be considered as practicing on the course?
They will have learnt speed of greens as one example.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would say no. You have designated the back 9 as a separate course, presumably with its own course and slope rating. Speed of greens can be learnt from the putting green.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can't do this for competitions, see rule 5.2b as the course is defined as the whole whole course (18 holes) as described by the committee but model local rule I-1.2 can be modified to allow the front 9 to be played beforehand

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can't do this for competitions, see rule 5.2b as the course is defined as the whole whole course (18 holes) as described by the committee but model local rule I-1.2 can be modified to allow the front 9 to be played beforehand

Not worried about competitions and 5.1 actually says

5.1 Meaning of Round
A “round” is 18 or fewer holes played in the order set by the Committee.

We would only be setting it up for 9 hole General Play Rounds. The course layout does not lend itself to using the front 9 for this purpose, players often cut from 5 green to 10th tee in the evening.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not worried about competitions and 5.1 actually says

5.1 Meaning of Round
A “round” is 18 or fewer holes played in the order set by the Committee.

We would only be setting it up for 9 hole General Play Rounds. The course layout does not lend itself to using the front 9 for this purpose, players often cut from 5 green to 10th tee in the evening.
But you also need to take into account the definition of the 'Course' so the committee would need to define just the 9 holes as the course but if not a competition this may cause issues when referring to the full course?

salfordlad

Visit site
If we set up/allow the back 9 of of our course to be used for general play rounds. Is player playing holes on the front 9 before hand to be considered as practicing on the course?
They will have learnt speed of greens as one example.
No. For example, if there is a back 9 competition, playing/practicising on the front 9 is not a breach of Rule 5.2. This was confirmed on the USGA Rules of Golf F/b page recently.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about stableford? If you're "out of the hole", can you chuck a ball down and just play for something to do until the next hole? I can't find anything in the rules that covers stableford only stroke play and match play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about stableford? If you're "out of the hole", can you chuck a ball down and just play for something to do until the next hole? I can't find anything in the rules that covers stableford only stroke play and match play.
From the R&A a couple of years ago
"We have been discussing this for a while and the consensus is that the last bullet of 5.5a applies."

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once u finish s hole (finished once ur out of) u can practice on that hole not causing delay , so to play out should b fine i think
Apologies i see rule fan has already given u the refrence .

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once u finish s hole (finished once ur out of) u can practice on that hole not causing delay , so to play out should b fine i think
Apologies i see rule fan has already given u the refrence .
The only practice you can do during a round is chipping or putting on or near the last green played or the next tee to be played. Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the R&A a couple of years ago
"We have been discussing this for a while and the consensus is that the last bullet of 5.5a applies."
My reference above was to the situation in 4BBB where a player is 'out of it' but his partner is still 'in'.
5.5a contains the words Colin has quoted "Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice" but it doesn't cover the 4BBB situation. This has now been clarified.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only practice you can do during a round is chipping or putting on or near the last green played or the next tee to be played. Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice.
Thanks Colin im a bit lost now . If its not practice what does it come under and is it ok ? Thank u

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
My reference above was to the situation in 4BBB where a player is 'out of it' but his partner is still 'in'.
5.5a contains the words Colin has quoted "Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice" but it doesn't cover the 4BBB situation. This has now been clarified.
Hi Rulefan , as ive asked Colin if its not practice what is it , thats a genuine question by the way , is it allowed , it happens alot , thank u

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Rulefan , as ive asked Colin if its not practice what is it , thats a genuine question by the way , is it allowed , it happens alot , thank u
If you are referring to 4BBB, the R&A have said it is not practice but is treated in the same way as the words quoted by Colin.
"Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice"

As it is not practice it is not forbidden. The old adage comes in here - "If the Rules don't say you can't, then you may"

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are referring to 4BBB, the R&A have said it is not practice but is treated in the same way as the words quoted by Colin.
"Playing out a hole the result of which has been decided is not practice"

As it is not practice it is not forbidden. The old adage comes in here - "If the Rules don't say you can't, then you may"
Thank u for reply ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Just to be sure, if you're "out of the hole" but your partner's is not, you can play out the hole because the "result of the hole", in your case, "has been decided"?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to be sure, if you're "out of the hole" but your partner's is not, you can play out the hole because the "result of the hole", in your case, "has been decided"?

Nope. The result is not decided until the hole has been won, lost or halved. In the case of the fourball partner who is out of the hole, what I think is being said by the R&A is that the situation is sufficiently similar to the result being decided that any strokes made by the out of the hole partner are not practice strokes.