Powakaddy C2i Electric Golf Trolley

HairyBullet

Visit site
Are there any users of this trolly?Pros/Cons appreciated.I have the FW7 but its just a little bit too big in my Fiesta boot.
Thanks

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Are there any users of this trolly?Pros/Cons appreciated.I have the FW7 but its just a little bit too big in my Fiesta boot.
Thanks
I've had a C2 for about 15 months.

Pros:
- folds up very small (stands upright in my Skoda fabia estate boot)
- folding requires just a couple of clips (cf. Motocaddy equivalent which has 5 clips)
- plug-n-play battery is convenient
- auto 15/30/45 yard feature is quite useful

Cons:
- slightly tail-heavy and easily tips backwards
- poor storage capability
- on/off button is easy to unintentionally knock on (like all Powakaddies)
- £50 more than the equivalent Motocaddy

The biggest issue I've had is an obvious design flaw. The central bracket that holds the trolley together is a clam-shell arrangement that clamps around the frame. It's plastic, and it is held together by self-tapping screws *into the plastic* on the other half. Couple that with its habit of tipping backwards, and eventually those screws are bound to break the plastic, the bracket falls apart, and you're stranded with a trolley that cannot stay together. It happened to mine after about 10 months, and Powakaddy fixed it quickly under warranty. But when (not if) it happens outside warranty, I will just drill through and replace the screws with bolts & nyloc nuts.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had one and got rid, the new motocaddy m series fold up smaller and the build quality is better in my opinion.

I also like the motocaddy bags with the easy lock system which means no bag twisting and no bottom bag strap

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have one. The main thing I would say is if you are 6 foot plus you may struggle to get under an umbrella when it is in the holder.

To get round this I bend the middle slightly which makes it a few inches taller. Not ideal but a work around. By this I mean there is an angle in the middle bracket. It is not locked straight.

winteriscoming

Visit site

Pros:
- folding requires just a couple of clips (cf. Motocaddy equivalent which has 5 clips)

Cons:

The biggest issue I've had is an obvious design flaw. The central bracket that holds the trolley together is a clam-shell arrangement that clamps around the frame. It's plastic, and it is held together by self-tapping screws *into the plastic* on the other half. Couple that with its habit of tipping backwards, and eventually those screws are bound to break the plastic, the bracket falls apart, and you're stranded with a trolley that cannot stay together. It happened to mine after about 10 months, and Powakaddy fixed it quickly under warranty. But when (not if) it happens outside warranty, I will just drill through and replace the screws with bolts & nyloc nuts.
The exact same thing has happened to my C2.
When it first occurred it was frosty ground, and with the trolley having the tendency to tip on uneven ground (basically every golf course), the impact of the handle hitting the ground (most of the weight is at the handle end), caused the bracket to collapse.
On inspection, we could see that it was connected with plastic connecting lugs which had sheared.
Powakaddy repaired it under warranty and returned it.
Less than a year later, I had an umbrella in the standard Powakaddy umbrella holder, I went to take a shot, when a gust of wind blew the trolley over and hey presto, the exact same component failed again. I was stuck out on the course. Then having to walk in and ask someone to retrieve the lot for me.
I wrote to Powakaddy, stating they had a design issue and that the trolley wasn't fit for purpose, that it has a tendency to tip, and then can't withstand the impact of that.
I received a terse and arrogant response that Powakaddy were so happy with the design that they were bringing out a GPS model, totally ignoring the queries I'd raised or even acknowledging any of them.
They have repaired the trolley again and delivered it back to our club pro.
It is still in it's box, nicely packaged just as Powakaddy had sent it out.
I'm refusing to accept it as I am not going to get caught out on the course again, and the pro is using it as a small display table for his wares.
It is nice to know that I am not the only one that this has happened to.

Advice to other users, steer clear of the C2 Compact. Not fit for purpose.

I am the only loser as Powakaddy couldn't give a flying f.f.f.f.f.f.f......golf trolley!

winteriscoming

Visit site
Ive been keeping an eye on these, they look to be a good trolley. Will be interested in what people have to say.
They have a tendency to fall over.
As most of the weight (Club heads), will be at the top of the trolley, the impact of it hitting the ground causes the plastic bracket to shear away from the main chassis.
Mine has been repaired twice.
I'm refusing to accept it back, which they appear to be okay with, so the only loser is me.
I have Arthritis in my hips so cant lug a bag around and it isn't worth the risk of that thing falling over and collapsing again.
Not only was I out of the comp, I then had to ask someone to go out and retrieve all of my gear, which wasn't a nice thing to ask.

Not fit for purpose

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The exact same thing has happened to my C2.
I wrote to Powakaddy, stating they had a design issue and that the trolley wasn't fit for purpose, that it has a tendency to tip, and then can't withstand the impact of that.
I received a terse and arrogant response that Powakaddy were so happy with the design that they were bringing out a GPS model, totally ignoring the queries I'd raised or even acknowledging any of them.
I too sent a message to Powakaddy telling them they have a design flaw, but they never had the courtesy to respond.

If and when it happens again, I will drill out the bracket and install full length bolts & nyloc nuts - just like it should have been designed in the first place.

winteriscoming

Visit site
I too sent a message to Powakaddy telling them they have a design flaw, but they never had the courtesy to respond.

If and when it happens again, I will drill out the bracket and install full length bolts & nyloc nuts - just like it should have been designed in the first place.
Shouldn't have to do that though should you?
The lack of owning up is nothing short of disgraceful for an International Company.
I did acutally get a response but it was a terse arrogant reply.
I queried the design issue, the response from 'Alan Ainscow' was, ''we are so happy with it we're bringing out a GPS model''!
The photos I sent them are below

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Pros:

Cons:

I've got one and had it it for approaching a year. I've not come across the tipping issues seen in some of the other posts here thus far, but am now certainly aware of it, and will ensure to hold on to the trolley when going over really uneven ground.

I wrote a review when I bought it, and a short addendum after, worth a quick read here https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/powakaddy-compact-c2i.97540/ There are a few more cons in there regarding battery use/ storage, winter wheels not fitting in the carry bag, and the size of the plate the bag sits on. I subsequently called Powakaddy about the case not fitting with winter wheels, and was told that I could buy a normal size case, it would fit that.

Another thing that I found recently, is the auto 15/30/45 yard feature doesn't go anywhere near the yardage mentioned. It seems more like a 15/30/45 second feature, the trolley sets of on speed level 3, so barely makes 6 yards on the 15 yard setting.

As I said in my review, I still kinda like it, it's a sleek looking bit of kit, but, I' guess I've just gotten used to the cons mentioned and work around it. It has been a pain through the winter having to remove the wheels after every use though.

My lad works at AG, he reckons the new Motocaddy equivalent is literally two clicks to fold down quicker, easier and smaller. No idea about any comparisons with any of the cons mentioned though.

winteriscoming

Visit site
Yes certainly hold onto it. You are correct, the auto distance measurement is shorter than you would measure, but be careful using that feature as it could cause the trolley to tip over, and the risk of that impact causing those fixings to shear off.

My first car was an old Austin Maestro.
It was forever breaking down causing me no end of grief.
I get angry now 30 years later thinking of the times it tripped me up.
“When I’ve got a few quid together......etc”
Now a drive a nice Audi, which never breaks down.
All you want is reliability.
Get that Powakaddy?
Reliability!

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had both the c2 and now the new motocaddy m1, and the m1 is streets ahead of the c2. Build quality is better, the bag sits better on the trolley and is much more stable. And it's easier to fold. When folded the m1 is a bit longer than the c2, however with the wheels inverted it fits better in my boot.

winteriscoming

Visit site
I have had both the c2 and now the new motocaddy m1, and the m1 is streets ahead of the c2. Build quality is better, the bag sits better on the trolley and is much more stable. And it's easier to fold. When folded the m1 is a bit longer than the c2, however with the wheels inverted it fits better in my boot.
And the main thing, it doesn't fall to bits if it tipples over!!

winteriscoming

Visit site
Powercaddy in the past had a reputation of poor build,d quality. Looks as if they have not improved.
I will never buy another powercaddy. Its motocaddy for me from now on.
The Freeway models don't look too bad. I've not seen many complaints about them. Seen a few battery issues though