Post-match etiquette?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have been picked to play for the Seniors team this week.

There is a meal afterwards which we are expected to stay for, which is fine.

Whats the normal etiquette when it comes to drinks? Do the hosts buy them, or the losers? And is it just the one drink, or more if someone wants another?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sit outdoors
Large metal bucket or pail, half full with bottles of beers and cider, top off with ice... Don't forget the bottle opener, enjoy

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Have been picked to play for the Seniors team this week.

There is a meal afterwards which we are expected to stay for, which is fine.

Whats the normal etiquette when it comes to drinks? Do the hosts buy them, or the losers? And is it just the one drink, or more if someone wants another?
Here in Devon the etiquette is that the hosts buy the drinks. Match result doesn't influence it.
It was the same in Middlesex when I was playing there.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play for my club’s seniors and I always offer to buy a drink, home or away, win or lose. I don’t think there is any real etiquette. If in doubt, offer if you are the host.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our etiquette is that the hosts by the drinks and it is reciprocated for the away match and it is normally a second drink, if wanted. Normally means one player out of the pair buys one round and the other the second round.

At one time it was one player buys the pre dinner round and the other buys the wine for the meal.

We also expect that if a player plays the away match first they are expected to play in the home match.

On a personal basis I never want more than one alcoholic drink and often find it is the same for the visitors although if they are not driving things may be different. I know (from experience) 2 pints and I am over the limit.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our etiquette is that the hosts by the drinks and it is reciprocated for the away match and it is normally a second drink, if wanted. Normally means one player out of the pair buys one round and the other the second round.

At one time it was one player buys the pre dinner round and the other buys the wine for the meal.

We also expect that if a player plays the away match first they are expected to play in the home match.

On a personal basis I never want more than one alcoholic drink and often find it is the same for the visitors although if they are not driving things may be different. I know (from experience) 2 pints and I am over the limit.

That makes sense.

We have a strange fixture list in that we only play each club in the league once a season, I guess the venue rotates every year.

evemccc

Visit site
Interesting thread Q

What’s the etiquette at your club in intra-club matchplay KO matches, winner pays?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey even golf has to have etiquette rules to buy a pint!!!!!!
When you're all walking towards the bar decide to go the bathroom. Come back and drink on table. JD ?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played an inter club match today at home. We bought both rounds but I have played in games where the away team are first in bar and get the beers in.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I remember well when I was in my early 20’s (my first time playing golf, and there’s been a few breaks in between) playing in an I terclub match, away, end of match I offer to the drinks in for the four of us. Another plyer, probably 60 ish (RAF officer) says ‘No, you’ve got 3 young kids to feed, I insist). He knew this because we’d had a good afternoon and nice conversation on the way round.

Anyway, I’m mid 50’s now, very far from rich but probably won’t miss a tenner, so every time, always, inter club, KO, club, playing with mates, whatever, I always off to get the first drinks in, and often we only have one! It’s amazing though, the vast majority of people (I try not to play with knobs, life’s too short) will remember and say ‘no, my turn’. And those that don’t I don’t fret about I just buy them a drink and hope they enjoy it!

Mandofred

Visit site
The way understand it, home team supplies the drink. I can live with that. I played an away Seniors match last week since they were desperate for a couple extra players (long drive was the cause I think). I got talked into another Senior match tomorrow night.....I'll try to offer that drink as per custom.

There are a number of golf "customs" that drive me nuts. This constant offer to buy other people drinks is one of them. Now granted, I'm peculiar.....but if someone buys me a drink I am then honor-bound to buy them a drink....I have to. I don't like owing people a debt. The people I play with understand my weirdness and don't offer to buy me a drink (nor I, them)....I explained my warped way of thinking and they are fine with it.

I tend to try to stay away from matchplay events, partially because of my dislike of gimmies.....I won't give anything over a foot, and on a number of our greens anything over a foot can be a real butt-clencher. The guy I was partnered with last week tried to explain the "etiquette" of giving a gimme.....I just smiled and said I understand the etiquette, I just think it is wrong.....I let him give whatever gimme he wanted to them.