POSITIVITY THREAD ??

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today marks my 25,000th day alive. Happy Big Birthday me! ?
In that total I have notched up
17236 days as a husband?
16002 days as a father?‍?
2596 days as a Grandad??
12954 days serving in the RAF✈️
2127 days as a retiree??‍♂️
1258 days as an OAP £££
So is that a Happy 73rd Birthday?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Today marks my 25,000th day alive. Happy Big Birthday me! ?
17236 days as a husband?
16002 days as a father?‍?
2596 days as a Grandad??
12954 days serving in the RAF✈️
2127 days as a retiree??‍♂️
1258 days as an OAP £££
Bit of time on your hands then ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some wines are to be savoured over a couple of years, some will last for years and years.How did you know yours would last ?
All wines change over time! Some improve; others do not! One of the 'interesting' aspects of being a collector - as i once was, but 'sadly' no longer am, was to do research, and purchase early those wines likely to improve - quality/price-wise over time. My 'collections' certainly paid off overall, though there were some unexpected inflation-adjusted losses that surprised me! The best result was a 1947 Cheval Blanc (with dodgy/leaking cork) - the profit from which paid flight to UK! There were other big profits (83 Ch Margaux) and some 'losses' too, but some wonderful drinking as well! Old - perhaps too old - Ch La Lagune 82 particularly.

High end Rioja is one of the 'to be kept/special occasion' wines imo. I have a couple 'hidden' from my grasp in my 'store'!
There's still plenty of great value/high quality wine to be had though! Tesco Finest Argentine Malbec is my current favourite - especially when both reduced and at 6* discount! Kiwi Sauvignon seems, to me (Kiwi born/raised) too expensive for 'everyday' drinking but I'm sure there are bargains (from 'new brands) to be had. Cloudy Bay SB (including Te Koko) is vastly overpriced - and has been for years! When last tasted - quite some time ago, the Chardonnay (still (too) expensive!) was much more impressive!

Oh..And as an afterthought, one of the best wines we tasted on a riding holiday (many years ago!) 'based' in Sarlat was a Cahors! Even the 'I want my full English' Ipswich drongo liked it! Malbec again!

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
looking forward to a nice few away golf days this year now. Woking, then onto Cooden with Camberley Heath and Blackmoor to follow.

2 new courses and 2 I’m very happy to be going back to play. Hopefully play with some new faces off here as there are a lot I’m yet to meet.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All wines change over time! Some improve; others do not! One of the 'interesting' aspects of being a collector - as i once was, but 'sadly' no longer am, was to do research, and purchase early those wines likely to improve - quality/price-wise over time. My 'collections' certainly paid off overall, though there were some unexpected inflation-adjusted losses that surprised me! The best result was a 1947 Cheval Blanc (with dodgy/leaking cork) - the profit from which paid flight to UK! There were other big profits (83 Ch Margaux) and some 'losses' too, but some wonderful drinking as well! Old - perhaps too old - Ch La Lagune 82 particularly.

High end Rioja is one of the 'to be kept/special occasion' wines imo. I have a couple 'hidden' from my grasp in my 'store'!
There's still plenty of great value/high quality wine to be had though! Tesco Finest Argentine Malbec is my current favourite - especially when both reduced and at 6* discount! Kiwi Sauvignon seems, to me (Kiwi born/raised) too expensive for 'everyday' drinking but I'm sure there are bargains (from 'new brands) to be had. Cloudy Bay SB (including Te Koko) is vastly overpriced - and has been for years! When last tasted - quite some time ago, the Chardonnay (still (too) expensive!) was much more impressive!

Oh..And as an afterthought, one of the best wines we tasted on a riding holiday (many years ago!) 'based' in Sarlat was a Cahors! Even the 'I want my full English' Ipswich drongo liked it! Malbec again!

FLIPPIN ECK, Where do I start. For Tash I like Italian. My friends Alfredo and mainly Lisa with a little bit of Pino ( Giuseppe ) have advised me well. Mainly re DOC, DOCG and IGPT re standards of wine. I remember once reading about people advising you re wine but find someone who has similar tastes to you. That person for Tash may take some finding. Oddly enough I cannot get along with Spanish wines, taste nice but flippin eck they give me a headache.

A few years back I was in Sorrento with Lisa and Alfredo and was searching for my 1963 bottle ( DOB). I was astounded by the price of some wines. It seemed that bottle for bottle compared to whisky wine seemed expensive.

Re wines I remember one day talking to Lisa in Italy re wine. I was in the local supermarket with Lisa stocking up for my return to the UK when you could carry wine ( 6 bottles ) in hand luggage. Some of the wines were on offer at 2 euros each. She Mentioned that some of the wines they would not send to the UK market as they were wasted On us, we would just not appreciate them.

One day I was off on another jaunt around Italy. I read a piece where it was mentioned that if in a very good restaurant ,Vino Tavalo (Table wine ) is one of the best value for money wines you can buy, if your not sure what wine to buy with your meal. The idea is that a good restraunt is not going to ruin its meals or reputation with a rammel wine. It usually comes in a carafe and usually goes down quiet well And is usually sourced from a local pal.

That said, Tash has had a rather stressful day on Missis Ts family side and 3 glasses of new world wine has helped to soothe.

Good post Foxy.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to agree with you Tashy. Unless you really know your wines, or want to splash out/impress, then you will rarely go wrong with the "House" wine. Let's face it. If they are going to buy X number of cases of a wine, they will make sure it's a decent one for the money. (In my uncultured opinion of course).

NearHull

Visit site
Today marks my 25,001st day alive.
17237 days as a husband?
16003 days as .............
etc etc....

Looking forward to tomorrow’s post........... No?
ok then, I won’t do it again

D

Deleted member 1147

Today marks my 25,001st day alive.
17237 days as a husband?
16003 days as .............
etc etc....

Looking forward to tomorrow’s post........... No?
ok then, I won’t do it again
Try it again and the day after can start:

Today marks my LAST day alive!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At work on Tuesday (Morrisons Delivery Driver) I got back not just on time but EARLY for the first time, to much disbelief all round!!!! Then....did the same on the second run, again to disbelief and huge amounts of comments on our Whatsup group, "you've not done the double????????" etc etc

I was chuffed to bits, as I was thinking of jacking it in as I was always late back, which meant that the person using the van after me was late starting their runs in the evening.