Poor technique or worng equipmnt.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Poor technique or wrong equipment

Im in a bit of a predicament. Im currently experiencing a rather high ball flight, and im now sure its robbing me of distance, especially on holes where your into a head wind. Im currently using 09 burner irons, which im lead to beleive had a big sales pitch in " helping to gt the ball airbourne ". I dont really feel the need to get them changed and actually quite like the clubs themselfs, but im wondering if as GI based irons, are the designed to produce the shot shape which im getting.

Im also not sure if the shafts are correct, currently using the stock reg shafts.

The reason im confused, is i seem to be able to play the 3/4 swing low punchy knock down shots pretty easy, but the minute i really go after one, the flight seems rather high.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say from personal experience you are hitting down on the ball too much, got the same myself, losing about 10-15 yards on all iron shots at the moment.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am guessing here that you are flipping your hands when you try to hit one hard, and are adding loft and spin. I have this issue, and it is the one I am finding hardest to crack. Effectively I need more lag, and later hands, to get them ahead of the ball at impact, which will lead to a lower flight. I can do this, until I try to hit it eyeballs out, and then it breaks down to the familiar hands behind the ball.

You need some decent video to show.

Especially as this is the opposite of what Patrick has posted.

Video please.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i was wondering if my pro would give me my last few lessons on USB so i can upload.

Patrick could be onto somthing, as im coming from a very flat swing plane to a neutral swing plane, so there is a chance i could be getting too steep and crunching down to much. I did also wonder if i was gtting handsy....

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
whats the ball flight OD? I'm assuming pulls and pull fades when you go after one with the occasional straight but very high shot?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
generally straight but with a high ball flight, ballooning so to speak,

I did read somewhere on here yesturday that richg was experiencing ballooning with regular but not stiff shafts, which is making me wonder if my shafts ar too weak.

On a still day, in normal temps, my 7i is about 150/155, 6i is about 160/165 ish

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
OS you are a bit taller than me, stockier and with a (I think) a faster swing speed and you use regular shafts. I need 5.5 project x to keep my flight down and as far as I know 5.5's a verging on stiff. Prior to the APs's I had burners in regular graphite (because of my hips) and they went pretty well as high as some of your did the other day.

I couldn't see too much wrong with your swing plane etc to cause you any trouble, so my guess is the need for a custom fit

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thats the nicest thing you hav said to m this week chris... its been an emotional moment.

Whats funny is my older supersteels had the bubble shaft in stiff, and i had none of thse issues, im not sure if it was because they were aimed at more of a players club, or the stiff shaft, or a combo of both

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i was wondering if my pro would give me my last few lessons on USB so i can upload.

Patrick could be onto somthing, as im coming from a very flat swing plane to a neutral swing plane, so there is a chance i could be getting too steep and crunching down to much. I did also wonder if i was gtting handsy....

Its the same for me old boy, i've come from a very flat swing to an upright one And like you when i go after one its ballooning. Was having the same problem with the driver a few weeks ago and trying to stay behind the ball more, which appears to be working.

I find i move my weight onto my left side too quickly and my left shoulders is pointing down, hence far to steep into the ball.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
on reflection maybe wednesday was a bad example as i know i wasnt getting my weight right through the ball, it seems whn my weight transfer is better it does bring the ball flight down slight, but not as low as id like.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not sure new clubs are necessary. Yes, if your swing is technically good, and you are having issues, maybe a shaft change is a good idea. On the other hand, buying a lower launching shaft to paper over a swing fault isn't a great idea, especially if you are still having lessons. I'd go see the pro, and ask him why your ball flight is so high before changing sticks.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this was my gut feeling, if ive somehow developed a new fault is this causing this new high ball flight. I suppose £25.00 is cheaper than a shaft or iron swap.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i wouldnt use Wednesday as an example of anything to go by, I think we all hit some good shots and some horros too (mainly me).

However, i do think if it is in your head that the cluns arent right then I would go down to Kingswood (£40-50 quid I think) for a custom fit, they have all brands makes and get fit for a particular shaft. Once you have that then headchoice is much down to ball striking (which you do well) and personal preference.

I have the MP53's but am pretty sure the TM TPCB's or Titleist AP2's would give a similar result, I just prefer the Mizzys. if I was buying now I wiould be looking real close at the MP59's.

I think a lower ball flight would gain you more control and with your slight draw, more accuracy. This coupled with you being useful with the flatstick will bring you some good results.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
got a tweek up lesson booked for tomorrow, going to see what that brings first. compared with tuesdays range session my ball flight was around 20% higher even with a tail wind, this tells me that it could be something that just wasnt working on the day, maybe that new base layer was a bit too tight.... ;)

but th seed of a c/f is planted..... just dont want to rush in a splash a grand out if i can help it,

Ive looked online and thre seems a few sets of my current club but with stiff shafts at pretty good money, may have a toy with a used set of the same club but in the stiff shaft....

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Scott is bang on

Wednesday was the worst day ever to analyse a swing, I hate to think what mine looked like! I based my earlier comment purely on the swing speed I observed and feel that a stiffer shaft might suit. Scott and I both said about a custom fit and thats the way I'd go. I think the idea of paying for it and trying all manner of makes with the cost of the fit taken off if you order, is the way forward as you won't get led to what they want you to have.

We havn't played together before so I dont know if your swing is changing but I didn't see anything seriously wrong that would cause major problems, but, it was difficult in those conditions to put two consecutive swings together that were the same (except the shots into the lake on the second)

Chris

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Scott is bang on

Wednesday was the worst day ever to analyse a swing, I hate to think what mine looked like! I based my earlier comment purely on the swing speed I observed and feel that a stiffer shaft might suit. Scott and I both said about a custom fit and thats the way I'd go. I think the idea of paying for it and trying all manner of makes with the cost of the fit taken off if you order, is the way forward as you won't get led to what they want you to have.

We havn't played together before so I dont know if your swing is changing but I didn't see anything seriously wrong that would cause major problems, but, it was difficult in those conditions to put two consecutive swings together that were the same (except the shots into the lake on the second)

Chris

Often the seriously wrong bit can only be seen on video, if you really know what you are looking for, it all happens so quickly. This is where pros earn their money.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Poor technique or wrong equipment

Perhaps consider stiffer shafts now you are at 12 hcap and getting lower all the time. I found moving from R300 to S300 helps to keep the ball lower (I hit highish irons).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would say your swing speed is too high for regular shafted irons, having seen you play - But your pro will know best.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I would say your swing speed is too high for regular shafted irons, having seen you play - But your pro will know best.

X2

Baz, never seen you play but reading on here it sounds like your spin rate is a bit high. Your best bet though is to ask your coach. Again, I do not know which coach that is, but IMO they are all good guys down there and know what they are talking about.
If you do decide to change - get custom fit. Ping highlighted this during my fit that the S300s and my then current irons were producing a much too high spin rate.