Pointless feature (in car or elsewhere)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Do you gents have any easy time driving on the right when you go to the continent?

I'd kill myself driving on the left for sure. I close my eyes in a cab not driving. (I like your cabs by the way.)

Our rural postal carriers have right hand drive mail trucks, but they still drive on the right; it's just to easily access the mail boxes on the side of the road.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have a heater in my Cobra. ?

Windscreen defogger, too?
Those Cobras are pretty sparse in creature comforts.

When I was a young boy in the immediate post war era, British roadsters were a very popular thing among young single people in America, at least ones with a few bucks. I'd never seen a car without roll up windows (if not electric ones) before. Always enjoyed getting a ride in one...lot's of fun. Never got to own one, though. I've only owned one manual gearbox car in my life...a Pontiac GTO in the 1960s.

Must be fun to fill up a Cobra where a liter costs as much as a gallon over here.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it has a demister which is also useless. The tank holds about (10 imperial) gallons and if I'm extremely frugal I can get 20 mpg. On the other hand, when I've had it on track at Silverstone or Le Mans for their Classics, I'll be lucky to get 5 mpg. The cost of American Ford V8 engines I guess!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just realised that the new Beemer comes with mood lighting inside the car... this seems to be the in-thing.. the new Merc has a similar setup. Not sure i fully like it. It is good funky thing, but i am sure i will ignore it after some time

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just realised that the new Beemer comes with mood lighting inside the car... this seems to be the in-thing.. the new Merc has a similar setup. Not sure i fully like it. It is good funky thing, but i am sure i will ignore it after some time
Its a by product LED lighting .. nothing special don't pay more for it,

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think Merc charges extra for its 'Premium' line. This is all over the trim on the doors and dash..
Nice little money earner .. bit like wheels .. profit margin is horrific on them as well. You will pay thousands but in the end the wheel will be less than £150 in total and less if it's not diamond cut and smaller.
The only wheels that are close in piece price and sale price are carbon wheels .. they are just expensive from the get go

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Driving back in the heavy rain and wind.. suddenly this comes up. It’s the first time I had something like this (and in a brand new car)
C26F29F9-4A04-4E12-80FB-A9B7CB232241.jpeg

Luckily I had someone in the car who could read it out, else would have crashed trying to read and drive. All it meant was that it was too dark and rainy for the mirror cameras to look at the road...

Bloody frightening

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was testing a Porsche panemara .. very sporty but the passengers complained about head room in the rear and vibration on the rear seats. However it had an infra red camera .. absolutely awesome it would then target bodies so you could see people walking between cars and those cyclists who don't wear lights.
Soon we will have full on head up displays with gesture control .. but I am pretty sure they will be abused and cause accidents !

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine recently wrote off his BMW M135i.
Whilst sitting in the wreckage, wondering what had just happened, an American voice came through the speakers asking whether or not he needed medical assistance!!
He thought that was great, but was terrified that GPS may also have plotted his speed!
Not so much pointless, just something that some cars have that you hope you'll never need to use.
He was unaware he had it, he said it was scarier than the actual accident.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What are Ties about! A thing that hangs down the front of a shirt and has absolutely no useful function. Whoever invented them must have been having a laugh.
Mine's really useful they keep food off my shirt front, they let others know which club I belong to and they can be whipped off and used for emergency bondage gear if I've forgotten my regular kit.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Its a by product LED lighting .. nothing special don't pay more for it,

Got iit in the Seat door cards & dash. Choice of about 10 colours. Trouble is it doesn't change the backlit switches from red to match your choice of colour, so anything other than red looks uncoordinated, aka stupid.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mine's really useful they keep food off my shirt front, they let others know which club I belong to and they can be whipped off and used for emergency bondage gear if I've forgotten my regular kit.
How wide is your tie?
Why would anyone want to know what golf club you belong to?
Isnt bondage on the golf course against the rules? I think its something to do with non conforming equipment.