Playing TOC St Andrews

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I think the fear of missing out factor is huge here. Lads are saying this will be our only opportunity to play it and if you get that opportunity then you have to do it.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don’t play it , you have already made your mind up , but certainly it’s nothing like how it plays on a computer 😂😂
It seems to me that the OP expressed his current view, but was willing to be persuaded otherwise. He stated this clearly.
It requires positive views about the St Andrews experience for this to happen.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think the fear of missing out factor is huge here. Lads are saying this will be our only opportunity to play it and if you get that opportunity then you have to do it.

For someone who has 3 young children i am breaking the bank just to get there. Nearly £750 for 4 nights is way above my budget.

Then another £320 on top where I am potentially hacking my way around in silly weather conditions is possibly my worst nightmare.

They also may not get the chance if not pulled from the ballot.

You're young enough to get the chance again mate and already playing some great courses there.

You could caddy for them and not miss a thing...

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
They also may not get the chance if not pulled from the ballot.

You're young enough to get the chance again mate and already playing some great courses there.

You could caddy for them and not miss a thing...

I think we have a strong chance as all 8 of us are going in the ballot for 3 days.

Caddying for them will mean I miss out on a round at other courses that I have paid good money for. I have zero interest in losing out for that idea.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Difficult to reply to all but these stood out.

We have played TOC on virtual golf Top Tracer a lot recently.

And I will be honest, it’s my least favourite track on there. I know it wouldn’t be the same in real life but on there it’s

Drive, wedge

Drive, wedge

Drive, wedge

Big yawn

It more comes down to the fact I couldn’t afford to play it, and they would be real b*tards to rub that in my face for many years!

I splashed out once and took my misses to a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris for her birthday just for the ‘experience’. I paid a fair lump for this fancy meal.

She ended up with the shits. It’s up there with one of the worst dining experiences we’ve had.
That's where you're going wrong then:

Drive, 5 iron, wedge, wedge, wedge, putt putt putt

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think we have a strong chance as all 8 of us are going in the ballot for 3 days.

Caddying for them will mean I miss out on a round at other courses that I have paid good money for. I have zero interest in losing out for that idea.

Duplicate entries are disqualified so be careful on entering the same groups too many times.

Id honestly just worry about playing TOC another time. And depending on your tee times it could be possible to both caddy and play on the same day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another heretic here. The whole 'walking in the steps of others' does nothing for me. Unless I'm walking with them, it doesn't mean anything (to me). St Andrews as a course doesn't appeal so I would save my money.

I'm not anti spending big, although I have never gone that big, but it would have to be on a course that grabs me.

Save your cash, play the other courses you are booked on.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Duplicate entries are disqualified so be careful on entering the same groups too many times.

Id honestly just worry about playing TOC another time. And depending on your tee times it could be possible to both caddy and play on the same day.

You are only allowed to enter the ballot as a ‘group’ ?

I assumed there’s 8 of us so surely we would all be allowed to enter individually

Albo

Visit site
I don’t understand all the opposition to paying a premium for a premium course.
How often do you have a night out, or go for a beer?
Have 2 less beers a week between now and June and you’ve already saved half of the cost of playing! ( assuming £5 a pint).
As for this thread not being a wind up, the OP has said it’s dull, flat and boring, has admitted he can’t afford the £320 anyway, yet is somehow open to having his mind changed?! Lol

babylonsinger

Visit site
Would love to play the course personally. Hearing the experiences of others just intensifies the desire for me. That feeling stood on the first tee must be unlike most other courses. Same with the approach to 18. Not sure it's about how you play either but just simply being there and experiencing it (playing well would be a bonus)

The green fee is over the top for a regular purchase but not something I'd think too much about as a one off or treat.

Can understand the differing opinions of others but each to their own

D

Deleted member 35504

I kind of share the OP's view.

I'm near the opposite end of the golfing experience scale with well over 40 years of playing, I've watched many historic moments on the OC on TV and I've walked around it, I really get the St Andrews magic and vibe, it's a special place.

But £320 is bonkers, chuck in a caddy for your first experience and that's well over £400+, not worth it in my book to be honest.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally i think The New and the Jubilee are better courses, but i think every golfer should play TOC at least once. its the home of golf more or less, how often do you get to play Twickers, Wembley or the center court at Wimbledon/

The Price only sky rocketed in the last couple of years, before that it was probably the cheapest open venue. i suppose it made good economical sense to put it up, after all they could fill every tee time all year probably twice over even if the charged more.

its a great experience and the town oozes golf. personally i would bulk at paying the current price but ive played it a few times as a guest of an R&A member, but if i hadn't i would pay if i hadn't played it before

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I rang up earlier and was told the day we arrive on Thursday (our non golf day due to travel) is our best chance to play TOC as there are 30 visitor slots available out of around 150+ entries, so a 1 in 5 chance in the ballot.

The Friday and Monday have 13 visitor slots available and the Saturday is completely out the equation.

Quite relieved speaking to the reception now as it seems TOC curveball is unlikely to be drawn out for our group. Thursday is our best chance but not many will want to play after such a long drive up. Completely ruins the groups itinerary if we are lucky enough to get drawn out but reading people’s comments I feel I will be happy enough just to swerve it and play one of the other tracks.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s not just £320 though is it, ( or however much you get to pay)

Travel costs there and back, you won’t be going just for 1 day, at least 3 with a days travelling either side
So 4 nights accommodation plus food plus green fees for the 2 other courses you will play

It all adds up

Would I do it?
Hell yeah 😬

D

Deleted member 15344

It seems to me that the OP expressed his current view, but was willing to be persuaded otherwise. He stated this clearly.
It requires positive views about the St Andrews experience for this to happen.

The OPs current view that it’s “ugly boring and easy” - it’s based on playing it on a computer

Either the Op is having a bit of a giggle or genuinely judged courses on how they are on simulation- if it’s the latter then it’s jr most ridiculous thing I have ever heard or said on here - and there has been a lot

You only getting true feeling of TOC by being there and being on the course

Now it’s a lot of money but that’s the price to pay to play such an iconic illustrious course

TOC is more than the course - but if someone isn’t interested in that then save the money for another course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As others have said, it is something that needs to done. It is expensive and Frag makes a valid point regarding the additional costs for most to get there, stay there and then the green fee but as a one off, bucket list experience, its so worth it.