Playing on two cards in 4bbb

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think it is a player playing two balls, it is just that his/her score goes down on two cards.
I now have no idea what we are talking about. What is the meaning of two cards? What would the point be of two cards? You return one card for a normal two-player side, the scores being noted in different columns, If there is only one player in a side, the single score goes down in one column. Job done. There would be absolutely no point in entering the identical score in another column.

I seem to be missing something in this. Enlighten me someone.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
I now have no idea what we are talking about. What is the meaning of two cards? What would the point be of two cards? You return one card for a normal two-player side, the scores being noted in different columns, If there is only one player in a side, the single score goes down in one column. Job done. There would be absolutely no point in entering the identical score in another column.

I seem to be missing something in this. Enlighten me someone.
Two pairs enter a 4BB comp A&B and C&D - player D drops out so now you have A&B and C. The OP's club allows C to play and add his score to playe rA's card and separately to B's card, so the group has 3 better ball cards - A&B, A&C,B&C.

Strikes me as very odd.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two pairs enter a 4BB comp A&B and C&D - player D drops out so now you have A&B and C. The OP's club allows C to play and add his score to playe rA's card and separately to B's card, so the group has 3 better ball cards - A&B, A&C,B&C.

Strikes me as very odd.
You are being remarkably polite. In terms of handicapping it voids an acceptable score for all three does it not, as each of them has two partners and are playing two separate games.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Strikes me as very odd.
Would it be a qualifying for A and C hc round if, the three play, but only 2 cards are submitted A&B, and B&C ? So all three have a meaningful competition round, but B cannot submit for hc. A and C can as they are not playing on two cards ?

LizAig

Visit site

Strikes me as very odd.
Ahhhhh! Now I understand!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would it be a qualifying for A and C hc round if, the three play, but only 2 cards are submitted A&B, and B&C ? So all three have a meaningful competition round, but B cannot submit for hc. A and C can as they are not playing on two cards ?
I don't thinks so. It comes down to the requirement that a round is acceptable only if it is played in accordance with the Rules of Golf and apart from problems and potential breaches in the course of the game there is no recognised format like this in the Rules in the first place.
Ahhhhh! Now I understand!!
I found the sudden onset of understanding quite traumatic. Had to lie down for a wee while. 😁

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

Strikes me as very odd.
the original post stated two cards, not three. I read that as A&C and B&C (as an example, where C is the the player whose score is used on two cards).

D-S

Visit site
the original post stated two cards, not three. I read that as A&C and B&C (as an example, where C is the the player whose score is used on two cards).
You may well be right (I’ve never heard of this practice anywhere) but either way one player’s score counts on two separate cards and he therefore has two chances of winning which just seems to go against the grain.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You may well be right (I’ve never heard of this practice anywhere) but either way one player’s score counts on two separate cards and he therefore has two chances of winning which just seems to go against the grain.
It's okay if it's in the ToC set by the Committee, and the Committee may have considered all the implications. It is their competition.

DickInShorts

Visit site
It’s common practice at Muirfield for a 3 ball to play 2 games of foursomes as only 2 balls are allowed. It may be different for public tee times but certainly applies for the members.
The advantage is it gives plenty of time for 36 holes after coffee with a wonderful lunch between the two rounds!
It is - after all - a dining club with a golf course attached!!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s common practice at Muirfield for a 3 ball to play 2 games of foursomes as only 2 balls are allowed. It may be different for public tee times but certainly applies for the members.
The advantage is it gives plenty of time for 36 holes after coffee with a wonderful lunch between the two rounds!
It is - after all - a dining club with a golf course attached!!
Last time I played there as a visitor (maybe 6 years ago) it was the same - only two balls per group after lunch.

scottyc

Visit site

Strikes me as very odd.
This is not correct for what we do.

It would be a&b have their card, then c can make a 2nd card with a or b. So a or b would be the one one ‘two cards’. The teams are decided before play (supposed to be anyway, we have to have cash sign in for these comps so they could potentially choose the best pairings after the round).

A&b might the normal card that goes into computer and the other card can’t be input. So when we publish results, a&c could have a good score but wouldn’t appear on the howdidido results and it has to be processed manually.

It is odd like I said in my first post but I appear to be the only one at my club who thinks so.