Playing off parched fairways

Lindyhop67

Medal Winner
www.perfectequilibrium.co.uk
As with most courses at the moment, my course's fairways are parched and as hard as concrete in places. I played today (and carded nett 5 under!) and found it very tricky to play off the fairways. I couldn't get much loft and thinned a fair few. Is there a different iron technique off parched fairways?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you are fairly close to the greens, putt. Normally though on hard fairways you want to be hitting into the back of the ball taking a slight divot, saves any strained wrists.

B

birdieman

I think it's just the margins for error are smaller with baked fairways. You shouldn't be changing iron technique unless you're going for a knock down shot into the wind. Your iron shots should be played with a descending blow no matter the surface. If you are slightly off as the clubhead approaches the ball you'll get found out more easily, that's all.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said bob etc should know better, I tend to play summer golf more akin to links as the greens just arnt receptive so landing short and running them on is the better option.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played today (and carded nett 5 under!) and found it very tricky to play off the fairways. I couldn't get much loft and thinned a fair few. Is there a different iron technique off parched fairways?

And you were 5 under nett :D :D

Wouldn't play you for money. :eek: Your game off the tee and short game must be fantastic if you found playing off the fairways so difficult.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm struggling alot with this atm too. I really strike down on the ball and with the club head just bouncing off the fairway its made me change my swing for the worse. Thinned most of my fairway shots today. I feel your pain.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our fairways were 25% brown today. Not good.
However, our green were lovely deep green and in perfect condition.
I had a few (3 or 4?) horror lies today. I don't think they cost me any shots, but I do wonder if there comes a point where preferred lies might actually make some sense.

Just throwing the idea out there? :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
but I do wonder if there comes a point where preferred lies might actually make some sense.

Sorry. Preffered lies because the fairways are a bit dry?
Welcome to links golf.
It doesn't metter how hard your fairways get, if your swing is good enough, you can always take a divot, albeit smaller than normal.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ball then turf, eh! Bob?

Can hurt the wrists a bit in these conditions though. :(

Not that that's a problem at Sundridge Park I hasten to add. When are you and Teegirl coming down to visit? :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
but I do wonder if there comes a point where preferred lies might actually make some sense.

Sorry. Preffered lies because the fairways are a bit dry?
Welcome to links golf.
It doesn't metter how hard your fairways get, if your swing is good enough, you can always take a divot, albeit smaller than normal.

Oooh..... :D

and of course I never play links.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If your greens aren't receptive, you might want to play a few knock downs or bump and runs. If they'll take a full shot, but not a half shot lay up appropriately.

This is one time the cavity backs clubs which tend to have a wider sole may not help, though if you hit the little ball first it won't be a problem

Lindyhop67

Medal Winner
www.perfectequilibrium.co.uk
Leftie...yes, the 5 under was a nice surprise at the end (I carded about 8 pars too but had some disasters to make up for them). The reason for success was 1)my putting and chipping is in very good shape and 2) although I was having trouble getting a good flight out of the ball at least they were going straight.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
enlighten me, bump and run I understand but how do you play a knock-down and what are you trying to achieve?

Same thing really,bump and run would be a more extreme version.

By knock down, I would mean take more club, grip down, swing smoother resulting in less spin and height.

Full shots which use spin won't really work to stop a ball when it's really firm. So you can run it in and allow for the run or if you're close enough you can use height (risking a dodgy bounce). This is how extreme flop shots like some of Mickelsons work, he uses height to stop it with a more vertical angel of incidence(?) as opposed to spin. These conditions require a high effectice loft and shallower angel of attack.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love playing off of bone hard, parched fairways.
They are the perfect excuse for the cutty, low, sliced blocks right.
I never play that shot off of fluffy fairways.
Never