Playing golf with a hangover - tips?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Our annual trip takes place next week and a general lack of self-discipline will mean that things will get a bit silly - any tips for performing at my magnificent/moderate best the day after too many cooking lagers?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drink a litre of water and take two Anadin Extras before you go to sleep. Another pint of water and a mushroom omelette when you wake up. And if you still feel like :poop: then you're screwed. I usually find the first few tee shots are absolutely awful, but when I start to feel better I actually play better than usual, probably because I'm more relaxed and uncaring, and I don't have enough energy to be tense.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last time I played still under the effects of the night before I was doing great until I sobered up a bit (Before anyone asks, I did not drive). Playing partner made me drink a couple of cans at the half way hut to see if he could get me playing as well as I was in my non sober state.

Then we have the GM centernary final day where I went to try come Cleveland clubs before I started and missed with every swing.

My advisce, lots of sugary, non-caffeinated drinks and starchy food. Staff off coffee and coke as the body does not know whether to fight the caffeine or the alcohol. My old student days classic was orange tango and cheesy wotsits. Bit of that and you are ready for anythign,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My advisce, lots of sugary, non-caffeinated drinks and starchy food. Staff off coffee and coke as the body does not know whether to fight the caffeine or the alcohol. My old student days classic was orange tango and cheesy wotsits. Bit of that and you are ready for anythign,

Imurg will be along in a minute to check your spelling ;)

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Assuming you’re staying in a hotel, a full English, a sugary tea and lots of water. Failing that a packet of ready salted crisps and a can of full fat coke.

If I’m going away I always a take some Dioralyte sachets with me. As well a sorting the inevitable out, they effectively rehydrate you. They’re horrible, but when gulped down in a pint of water do the business.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Last time I played still under the effects of the night before I was doing great until I sobered up a bit (Before anyone asks, I did not drive). Playing partner made me drink a couple of cans at the half way hut to see if he could get me playing as well as I was in my non sober state.
Similar for me this year, felt horrific on the front 9 as knocked it round in +2, I even said to a PP that I was feeling better as we walked to the 9th green, where I missed a 4ft birdie putt, and then lost the plot on the 10th!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My buddy picked me up after a serious session for an away day. I remember being so hungover I had the shakes so bad I couldnt use the pencil to write my score yet I was 1 over gross at the turn. I wondered if being out of consciousness was akin to being in the zone.

Then the back 9 happened. I’ve never been like that again.

Advice? Lower your expectations. Survival is not a bad result.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
Electrolyte tablets are your friend here. Something like high5 zero or SIS. One with water before bed and again in the morning.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I order before teeing off the course will deliver bacon and egg baguette and a Bloody Mary out on the course by the time I clear the 2nd green

All sorted after that