Attending a Major tournament for the first time!

jack_reg

Visit site
Hi everyone,

It's my first post on here so sorry if it isn't in the right place.

I'm lucky enough to be attending The Open next week at Royal St Georges, and I'm extra excited as it will be my first major tournament. I have tickets for the practice day on Tuesday and the Saturday.
I was wondering if you guys have any tips or course knowledge that will improve our experience, i.e, is it best to follow a group around or stay at a particular hole, what holes or tee shot swill be the most entertaining at Royal St Goerges, and from your experience what is the best thing to do on a practice day to get the most out of it?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think theres other threads on this, if you search.

Practice days are pot luck as to who you might see, there arent usually start sheets, worth following a group round as you'll get a better view of the holes than you will at the weekend.
For the Sat I'd get there early and follow a match round, better to pick one of the lesser known as the famoua players attract large groups.
PM Id head for the the 6th it has large banks you can find a spot on too watch groups go by, the 18th has public stands you can get into to watch groups come in also.
Wear comfotable shoes, its a long day on your feet.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Take some binoculars.
If there’s a top player you really want to see find a good spot & wait for them to come to you,we did this for Tiger,the crowds following him were crazy.