Backache - what a pain

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been struggling on and off with backache recently, down to 2 things, too much golf, and a springer spaniel who pulls like a train.

Played on Saturday and was in a bad way, in pain every time I bent down to place my ball or pick it up. Took the dog to the beach on Sunday morning and could feel it going again. Missus had to take over with him. Was down to play in our Seniors Open yesterday, thought I might have to pull out but slapped on the Volterol first thing, went along and was absolutely fine, never felt a twinge all day.

Was due to play early today. Got up at 6am, felt ok but applied the Voltarol "just in case". Missus was starting work early, so I had to do the dog-walking duties. It takes 5 minutes to get to the fields where he can run free, by then I was in a load of pain, and the back felt very weak. Was the same when I got back, so reluctantly cancelled today's game.

Annoyingly, after 3 hours of not doing very much, it feels ok now, but am not going to risk it today.

I'm sure the amount of golf I'm playing is a factor - week before last I played 6 days out of 7. This week I was due to play 5 days out of 6, and next week I've got 4 days on the bounce. I normally play 3 times a week, but this month has been mad due to opens and knockout ties all coming at once.

Think I need to be more cautious about the amount of golf I'm playing, not much I can do about the dog unfortunately!

D

Deleted member 1147

Are you warming up & down properly - stretches, practice in the net etc, or are you just walking up to the first tee and starting?

I have severe back issues and struggle without proper preparation.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are you warming up & down properly - stretches, practice in the net etc, or are you just walking up to the first tee and starting?

I have severe back issues and struggle without proper preparation.

I don't do any kind of stretches, I try to get to the course early and hit maybe 30 balls on the practice ground, starting with half swings with the GW, building up to full-blooded swings with hybrid or 7 iron. I appreciate it's not a great routine.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you know what the answer is - and you won't like it. Don't mess with your back and don't try to mask the pain with creams and pills. Rest and then strengthening exercises are the only way to solve the issue properly - I know as I have been there and you have to be sensible and make some sacrifices now for the greater good

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only way I can manage 18 holes these days without being in agony, is by using a sit on buggy. You should try hiring one and see the difference(y)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really suffer from lower back pain. Crocked myself when I was in the Navy originally, trying to move a gangway Brow.

I’ve realised now though that whilst my back ‘feels’ like it’s sore. The real problem area is my glutes and more Specifically my Piriformis.

I am constantly stretching my hips out and am fairly disciplined with it.

However there is only so much a stretch helps.

I bought one of these a year ago.

Amazon massage ball

it’s a revelation. Now don’t get me wrong it’s bloody painful because it goes very deep into the tissue (especially with my fat arse on top of it ?) but it really provides significant relief if used routinely.

I’ve now carry my bag as it’s improved so much.

That said. To echo the above advice regarding strengthening. That’s the only long term fix.

Deadlifts and other Core exercises are the only way I think I will be fully sorted.

Springveldt

Visit site
Sounds like you need to get a Halti for the dog. My Lab would pull like crazy in a harness, would choke himself out with a collar and lead but the Halti has worked wonders. Before getting it, the wife and daughter just couldn't walk him, he would pull both of them off their feet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halti-Head...ref=pd_day0fbt_img_sccl_2/259-5761326-0027227

Looks like a muzzle but it's not. Really does stop them pulling, my Lab is great on the lead now. He's always walked better next to me with no lead on but I don't trust him next to roads as he's a typical Lab with the attention span of a goldfish and will chase anything that resembles a ball until the end of the earth.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like you need to get a Halti for the dog. My Lab would pull like crazy in a harness, would choke himself out with a collar and lead but the Halti has worked wonders. Before getting it, the wife and daughter just couldn't walk him, he would pull both of them off their feet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halti-Head...ref=pd_day0fbt_img_sccl_2/259-5761326-0027227

Looks like a muzzle but it's not. Really does stop them pulling, my Lab is great on the lead now. He's always walked better next to me with no lead on but I don't trust him next to roads as he's a typical Lab with the attention span of a goldfish and will chase anything that resembles a ball until the end of the earth.

He's got one already, you should see him pull when it's not on! Springers are notorious for pulling.

The only time he walks sensibly (apart from when he is totally exhausted) is on a very short lead, in between me and the wife. It's a great technique but you need two people for it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's got one already, you should see him pull when it's not on! Springers are notorious for pulling.

The only time he walks sensibly (apart from when he is totally exhausted) is on a very short lead, in between me and the wife. It's a great technique but you need two people for it.
Spaniels pull, springers pull more than other spaniels. It is what they do. My daughter worked at a kennels for a few years and she confirmed this theory. Yes, you can train them but you have do it every day, over and over. Life's too short.

We have a cocker and she pulls. She is 12 now and we have been through most of the different harnesses. In the end we have one of the body ones that spreads the pull so she does not choke, we don't get yanked quite so hard. It is a compromise.

I agree about it harming your back, it is a strain and then you compensate etc. No easy answer once you have that type of dog.

I have had lower back pain for 5-6 years now. Golf and spaniels don't help but I don't want to give up either. Swimming was recommended to me but I have not really followed that up. Might be worth looking to do. Otherwise it is stretching and strengthening etc . Sadly, no magic pill.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was out yesterday helping the wife with 2 dogs she’s helping to walk she took both out with halti on the day before and no pulling, but yesterday she took one dog without halti and that one pulled a lot.

Did you watch that program where the dog trainer was helping with troublesome dogs? One couple had a severe problem with a large dog pulling and he seemed to fix the problem very quick.

He did say it’s the owners that are more of a problem than the dogs, he would not let them carry on walking a dog if it was pulling, stop every time and praise the dog.

I’m a senior as well and have to do stretches before I leave for golf, I have also tried gels as well but as been mentioned it just masks the problem.

Look after your back , hope it gets better.

Or get rid of the dog, ?. Only joking.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yep, they pull, and then pull some more.

Spent loads of time on the physio’s table. Exercises when you first wake up; Lying face down push down with your hands whilst keeping your unmentionables pushed into the bed X 10. Then laid with both shoulders on the bed, draw up your right knee halfway then rotate it left till it touches the bed. Alternate both knees x 10.

Good luck.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a long term sufferer from various back pain problems (once had to give up playing for 10 months).

One physio once told me playing golf is good for backs but pounding balls on a range is not.