Playing golf after a heart attack

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming you are making a decent recovery, then exercise is usually recommended to maintain good cardiac function and keep weight off. Golf is pretty good for that as a low intensity exercise.

Make sure you have taken meds with you if you will need some during the course of the round, some anti-angina pills if you suffer from that, and make sure someone in the group has a mobile phone just in case. If you are on a diuretic (water tablet) you might need a pit stop or two on the way round. Take some fruit or healthy snacks and try to skip the bacon sarnie at the turn.

Take it easy and take your time up steep hills and don't be afraid to tell the others you need a minute if you do. Don't regard the game as life and death, but as a good way to get out and enjoy something. You will probably play better that way anyway. If you smoke, STOP!

My coronary arteries are fine, but I had an episode of heart failure a couple of years ago, due to a viral disease of the heart muscle. At one stage I thought my ticket had been punched, but the diagnosis improved to a resolved acute myocarditis and shouldn't have any long term consequences. I had an angiography (look at the coronary arteries) as part of the investigation. That was fine, but is a rather weird experience seeing your heart with a wire going into it up above you on a TV screen.

This guy is worth listening to OP, he knows........

Ping Paul

Hacker
Visit site
Thankyou all for the kind words and encouragement,it is apprieciated.Totally agree with Ethan as I had an angiogram as well,the bruise it has left is the size of a small country.
As for the golf well looking outside at the mo is depressing as there is approx 4" of snow,a sign from above eh!:thup:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tis indeed,not to bad at the mo as they have invested a bit of money in the place,ok for practice though

I was down there the other week and spoke to Steve (the Pro). He was really positive of the investment secured for the place and it certainly did look better than it did a couple of years ago. :thup:

Although personally, I have never seen the problem of an old car on the range for a bit of target practice....... Who cares IMO, don't aim at it if you don't like it!

All the best

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should be getting cardiac rehabilitation after your event, that should be your springboard back to full fitness, if that hasn't been arranged ring your cardiologist.