Golf after Heart Attack

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys
Had a heart attack 3 weeks ago whilst on holiday playing golf! Not a massive one but ended up having to go to A&E in Eastbourne.
After various tests, had to have 2 stents fitted. Now back home recuperating and building up my fitness again. I’m intending to play 9 holes n Friday which will be 3 weeks after the incident. I’m feeling fine but obviously on various tabs. I’ve always been pretty fit and my diet is reasonable, unfortunately high cholestroll runs in the family.
Anyone else suffered in the same way and how long before you played again?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Hi guys
Had a heart attack 3 weeks ago whilst on holiday playing golf! Not a massive one but ended up having to go to A&E in Eastbourne.
After various tests, had to have 2 stents fitted. Now back home recuperating and building up my fitness again. I’m intending to play 9 holes n Friday which will be 3 weeks after the incident. I’m feeling fine but obviously on various tabs. I’ve always been pretty fit and my diet is reasonable, unfortunately high cholestroll runs in the family.
Jeepers. We lost a good friend to a heart attack on the golf course a few years ago. Hope you make a decent recovery and get back out there soon enough but be best speak to the doctors for guidance on this.

D

Deleted member 18588

I am sure you will be fine.

In April 2001 I had a major heart attack on the course, had to be jump started in the ambulance and again in hospital.

Hospitalised for a week, initially in ICU but no surgery as it was the heart itself rather than veins or arteries that was left damaged but plenty of medication still.

Played a few holes two months later (scared witless) and slowly stepped that up.

Unless the medical people advise otherwise I cannot see any reason to not resume your golf.

Take it steady but enjoy yourself. Otherwise what is the point of surviving your heart attack. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I had one in January 2019 and also had a couple of stents fitted, I was told to take several weeks before I did any serious exercise and slowly build up via walking.
Played golf maybe a couple of months afterwards and haven't had any heart problems since.

I've struggled to find a decent level of play though and don't feel as strong as I did, not sure if this is to do with the heart attack, old age or the frozen shoulder that's been giving me grief for 18 months.

Take the advice of your doctor re when to start playing again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly, I would go with the doctor's advice rather than a bunch of golfing enthusiasts. :p

But secondly, I imagine you'd be looking to use a buggy at first? Or could maybe get your own golfing mobility scooter thing which would cut down on walking up hills etc.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd certainly play where the club owns a defib. The way the ambulance service is going you'll be in for a substantial wait

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
First of all, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I had a bout of angine brought about whilst cyclicng. Luckily it was caught early, so had a stent fitted but no damage to my heart. I was out walking round The Forbidden Corner the next day (after asking if it would be ok before I had my procedure).

Having said that, I would definitely take the advice of your cardiologist before playing. I would also use either an electric trolley or a buggy, to ensure the least cardio strain.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Hi guys

Good luck whenever you do get going again

Crumplezone

Visit site
Same thing happened to me a year ago last March. I followed all the advice I got building up my exercise over time. I did the same, started with 9 hole games, probably after a month or two, but was playing 18 holes a couple of months later. Some of the meds made me more tired, but I'm off them all now.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi guys

Similar position 4 years ago; cardiac rehab team were insistent on 4 weeks before playing again. I negotiated it down to 3 weeks 5 days on the basis that I'd be playing 18 holes with a paramedic, so "bad nurse"reluctantly agreed. (The cardiac rehab team had two nurses, who had the 'good cop, bad cop' routine down perfectly :D). Did wonders for me mentally playing with a paramedic first time out.

If you get a cardiac rehab referral I'd strongly recommend taking it, & I'd check with your cardiologist before doing anything.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been there done that, should really consider waiting until you can talk to a professional about it. I’m restricted to a buggy or a really flat course now as the warranty run out on my quad BP now waiting to see if sents are the answer. Not sure how useful a course with a defibu is, if your conked on our 4 green whoever ran back for it would have had his own attack by the time he got to the clubhouse.

Your other option is to play with @Blue in Munich as he always has his GTN spray on board.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been there done that, should really consider waiting until you can talk to a professional about it. I’m restricted to a buggy or a really flat course now as the warranty run out on my quad BP now waiting to see if sents are the answer. Not sure how useful a course with a defibu is, if your conked on our 4 green whoever ran back for it would have had his own attack by the time he got to the clubhouse.

Your other option is to play with @Blue in Munich as he always has his GTN spray on board.

A defib is only a call to the pro show away

Visit site
Interesting. I had a heart attack whilst playing golf at Guadalhorce near Malaga in November 2018. Managed to get on the plane that night, feeling terrible, and got back to Bradford. Next day, I had one stent inserted at Bradford Royal Infirmary, where the attention i received was superb. I was discharged next day, but I was not allowed to drive for a month, and I certainly couldn't have played golf for a good while. I think I managed 9 holes between Christmas and the New Year, about 7 weeks after the procedure. I play with two doctors, and THEY thought i was playing too soon. They told me that the muscles around the heart have to settle down, and anything too energetic could have disastrous repercussions. I took their advice seriously.
I would take some advice, and try gentle walks to begin with, building up gradually each day.
Almost two years later, I have managed to gain my lowest handicap in 13 years, (11), and living life to the full, albeit with a bucketful of pills morning and night.
Good luck, and best wishes for a full recovery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sobering post. We now have two defibs, one in the pro shop and one attached to the shelter that is by the 6th and 14th greens and 18th tee so fairly central for most holes on the back nine.

If I was the OP I would be speaking directly to the cardiologist consultant and getting clear and absolute confirmation it is a good idea and any restrictions. If it isn't this week at least you'll have next week and the week after. No need to rush into it