Golf after Heart Attack

Visit site
Really interesting thread and good to hear most of you are back playing again after a heart attack.

I am curious, do you all think the heart attacks were lifestyle factors or just bad luck / genetic?
They told me that it was likely to be genetic, as my father suffered a heart attack aged 62 in 1967. Sadly they didn't have stents in those days, so he never fully recovered.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Really interesting thread and good to hear most of you are back playing again after a heart attack.

I am curious, do you all think the heart attacks were lifestyle factors or just bad luck / genetic?

When i had my cardiac arrests i was told there was no apparent reason for it , blood pressure,cholesterol all within acceptable limits ,ok a bit overweight but
non smoker , did not drink much but because they could not pinpoint anything was fitted with the device as prevention for further arrests along with a
mix of medication .Was told to carry on with life but would never be able to drive an F1 car ,strange that as i never did before :unsure: and to cut out
and Adrenalin raising sports ,,,,so tried golf .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Those i have come across re work mates. Deffo/ mainly lifestyle.

Swango1980

Visit site
A chap I played with last year had a heart attack. It was strange, as he didn't get to the stage of collapsing and losing consciousness. He seemed a bit quiet and slow walking down the 9th, I assumed it was because he was having a bad round of golf. On 10th, he sat at half way house and said he wasn't feeling the best. He was talking normally, and not really in a lot of pain, but could sense something was up. He told us to continue on, he would sit for a while and then walk back to the car park (a decent walk) and go home. Even though he passed it off as something like a bit of indigestion, we didn't feel comfortable just leaving him there. So, I phoned clubhouse to see if anyone could come and pick him up. 5 minutes later the owner turned up in his car, but by that point, although he was still talking normally, we all agreed it would be far better for the owner to drive him straight to hospital to get checked up, rather than to his car in car park. So, that is what he did, and we continued the back 9. When we finished round, owner had just returned from hospital, and told us that as soon as they got there and wired him up, they confirmed he was having a heart attack, and immediately brought him to surgery to get a stent fitted. Remarkably, about 20 minutes later, the guy phoned the club to thank the owner and said he is doing great. I literally could not believe it. In the space of 9 holes of golf and a further 20-30 minutes, a guy was driven to hospital, diagnosed as having a heart attack, operated on, and then phoned club sounding in really good spirits.

He did take a month or two off, but he returned after that. In fact, he is playing some brilliant golf. At the time he returned, just over a year ago now, his handicap was 28 and hadn't had a round better than handicap in years. His last 4 comps he has suddenly beat handicap, had an exceptional score reduction, and is now off 22.8.

Moral of the story: 1. if you ever just don't feel right, never pass it off, Get checked out asap. Had he tried to continue on the back 9, doctors said he would have likely gone into cardiac arrest at some point. 2. If this has sadly happened to you, there is hope that your golf game won't be negatively effected when you come out the other side.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The biggest thing I noted was when you said “ but he could sense something was up”. Ave said it times a plenty. You have to listen to your body. Ignore at your peril. Chuffed to bits with a happy ending story.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A chap I played with last year had a heart attack. It was strange, as he didn't get to the stage of collapsing and losing consciousness. He seemed a bit quiet and slow walking down the 9th, I assumed it was because he was having a bad round of golf. On 10th, he sat at half way house and said he wasn't feeling the best. He was talking normally, and not really in a lot of pain, but could sense something was up. He told us to continue on, he would sit for a while and then walk back to the car park (a decent walk) and go home. Even though he passed it off as something like a bit of indigestion, we didn't feel comfortable just leaving him there. So, I phoned clubhouse to see if anyone could come and pick him up. 5 minutes later the owner turned up in his car, but by that point, although he was still talking normally, we all agreed it would be far better for the owner to drive him straight to hospital to get checked up, rather than to his car in car park. So, that is what he did, and we continued the back 9. When we finished round, owner had just returned from hospital, and told us that as soon as they got there and wired him up, they confirmed he was having a heart attack, and immediately brought him to surgery to get a stent fitted. Remarkably, about 20 minutes later, the guy phoned the club to thank the owner and said he is doing great. I literally could not believe it. In the space of 9 holes of golf and a further 20-30 minutes, a guy was driven to hospital, diagnosed as having a heart attack, operated on, and then phoned club sounding in really good spirits.

He did take a month or two off, but he returned after that. In fact, he is playing some brilliant golf. At the time he returned, just over a year ago now, his handicap was 28 and hadn't had a round better than handicap in years. His last 4 comps he has suddenly beat handicap, had an exceptional score reduction, and is now off 22.8.

Moral of the story: 1. if you ever just don't feel right, never pass it off, Get checked out asap. Had he tried to continue on the back 9, doctors said he would have likely gone into cardiac arrest at some point. 2. If this has sadly happened to you, there is hope that your golf game won't be negatively effected when you come out the other side.

Some story that and goes to show you that you don't know what's going on in your body and that you need to act if you feel something "doesn't feel right". I had chest pains a while back that I thought was indigestion but got progressively worse after I went to bed. Dialled 111 and eventually they put through a 999. Paramedics arrived and wired me to the ECG and said I should go to hospital (so assume they saw something although didn't say a thing). Got there and had repeat ECG's and a triponin blood test. Didn't show anything untoward but they repeated the triponin again. Decided I wasn't having a cardiac episode but was suppose to have stress tests etc but it never got followed up (and to be fair I didn't push it)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Some story that and goes to show you that you don't know what's going on in your body and that you need to act if you feel something "doesn't feel right". I had chest pains a while back that I thought was indigestion but got progressively worse after I went to bed. Dialled 111 and eventually they put through a 999. Paramedics arrived and wired me to the ECG and said I should go to hospital (so assume they saw something although didn't say a thing). Got there and had repeat ECG's and a triponin blood test. Didn't show anything untoward but they repeated the triponin again. Decided I wasn't having a cardiac episode but was suppose to have stress tests etc but it never got followed up (and to be fair I didn't push it)
Homer, having worked in the medical profession, not following it up. Is that the wise thing to do. How long ago was that?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Last year. I was suppose to be sent to outpatients but never got an appointment and then Covid came. Lack of follow up from the hospital didn't help but could have pushed it harder

A stitch in time Homer. Am sure it would only take one phone call. You owe it to yourself. ?

Steviefella

Visit site
Take it easy and wish you a speedy recovery. I can’t imagine rushing into it is going to do much good, take a wee break.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, I played 9 holes today, walked round slowly with electric trolley. The G.P. had said I should be fine as long as I took it steady. I was quite nervous and my wife kept a very close eye on me. Hit the ball well and no problems although I felt a bit tired at the end. No reaction so far but not going out again until I‘ve reported back to the G.P. and waited a few days.

Crumplezone

Visit site

I'm pretty sure in my case it was smoking, drinking too much and not enough exercise. I have now given up smoking, cut my drinking but still probably don't do enough exercise.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi guys
Had a heart attack 3 weeks ago whilst on holiday playing golf! Not a massive one but ended up having to go to A&E in Eastbourne.
After various tests, had to have 2 stents fitted. Now back home recuperating and building up my fitness again. I’m intending to play 9 holes n Friday which will be 3 weeks after the incident. I’m feeling fine but obviously on various tabs. I’ve always been pretty fit and my diet is reasonable, unfortunately high cholestroll runs in the family.
Anyone else suffered in the same way and how long before you played again?

I wish you well, but you need to seek advice from a doctor.
No-one else, a doctor!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
A guy I work with went to the hospital with chest pain that ended up being indigestion. However, they said that he's previously had at least one heart attack ?. He had no idea and said he can't recall any previous pain. How they tell I have no idea

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm pretty sure in my case it was smoking, drinking too much and not enough exercise. I have now given up smoking, cut my drinking but still probably don't do enough exercise.

The last 10 - 15 years or so I did in the pits, doing a health surveylance on the lads was a 2 yearly affair. 99% of lads were overweight. Ate to much, smoked and drank to much. Chuck in no exercise and the cocktail was a bad un. High blood pressure was the norm. There was 2 answers. Alter your lifestyle or go onto blood pressure tablets. Most choose the later. But it’S not just high BP that was a problem. Diabetes, obesity, cholesterol. Which led to heart problems amongst others.
Those that went onto Blood pressure tablets were happy short term, but they ended up drinking , eating, smoking to much, there lifestyles had not changed. So the dosage of medication went up. Unfortunately there erections went down. BP tablets are not good for libido. This creates problems for the Missis who still wants some occasional rumpy pumpy. It was a vicious downward cycle.
fortunately for some the pits shut and lifestyles have changed. They had to. For some it was to late.