Players you can’t see ever winning a major.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why the hell did he want to just go out and make cuts - he was a winner , he didnt just want to compete he wanted to win and when he knew he wasnt good enough to win he stopped.

Point being that you can't win unless you make cuts regardless of age.

If you are saying the fact he stopped playing a full schedule means he's more determined? Then I don't get that logic.

As I said, there's still guys grinding, staying fit, getting better when in their late 40s just for that one chance when things fall into place and they have a putt to win another event.

D

Deleted member 18588

If you are saying the fact he stopped playing a full schedule means he's more determined? Then I don't get that logic.

As I said, there's still guys grinding, staying fit, getting better when in their late 40s just for that one chance when things fall into place and they have a putt to win another event.

And how many Majors have these guys won and were they winning tournaments at the age of 20?

The point of this is that to top level golfers there comes a point where winning or, at least, contending in Majors is all that matters.

Winning the Greater Greensboro Open and another million dollars just doesn't do anything for them.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not really - he is just managing his schedule. He's 48 so he can't play 30 tournaments a year. Especially with the PGA Tour now being heavily condensed between April and August.

It's hardly an issue to play in the tour events that best suit you, regardless of age. He is still playing a fairly full schedule and ranked inside the world top 30.

Also - luck has nothing to do with it. He obviously works very hard to stay competitive.

He literally admitted after the ryder Cup that certain courses weren't worth his effort. It wasn't a scheduling issue to avoid these courses. It was him admitting he has neither the game nor the inclination to try and play that style of course.

I fully accept he works very hard. He's hitting it further now than in the past. But he's admitted he wants to play courses where he can just smash it. Then find it and work his magic. When you're hitting it all. Over the place (as he does), and eliment of good fortune will be required.

Wolf

Visit site
I think Harrington has definitely got absolutely everything out of his career that he could have. Determination, hard work, bloody mindedness.

After winning the '07 Open I remember him saying on the 18th green that he could have been satisfied with the career he was having as a 'journeyman pro' but he no long has to have that career. To then kick on in the following 13 months and win another 2 majors I you what a bit of belief can do.

Personal view of Faldo is he is someone who had that belief and perhaps needed more competition in the GB&I world to push on even more than he did. He was happy enough being top GB&I and even top Euro player (vying with Seve) but he didn't quite have the same determination and doggedness as someone like a Harrington. Clearly still an impressive haul and 6 majors is better than almost everyone else who has ever lived.

But notable that Faldo stopped playing when he stopped being competitive. Fair enough, he went down the broadcasting route but didn't want to go out there and grind to make cuts and scrap for everything just for that one extra chance to maybe be the best player over 72 holes one week.
May I ask where you get your comedy material because your post was going so well then you mention that about Faldo..

He was never happy enough being top euro player, the fact he spent large chunks of even his early career playing the PGA tour full time ahead of European tour proves he wanted more competition, he also took 3 years to completely rebuild his swing at a time when he was already European No1, went through some severely low moments on the course as a result but stuck with it believing in what he was doing.

He comes out the other side Wins 3 masters, 3 opens, has runner ups in the US Open and PGA. Over 40 worldwide victories and your point he should play longer he was the highest finishing European behind Tiger at Bethpage US Open in 2002 at the age of 44 despite the course being far to long for him and the following year at 45 finished 8th at the open. All of that whilst going through some serious low points in his life with 2 failed marriages and a huge loss of money due to bad business deals done on his behalf.

His first 3 kids were all induced into labour to ensure they were born before he went to play in majors to ensure he could ficus on golf not family. But when his 4th came along he chose family over golf stating he had finally realised golf isn't the most important thing in the world family is.. That's why he chose not to play champions tour what's the point he doesn't need the money or prestige he's already earned the respect of the golfing World. Now he does a job where he is well respected again and gets more time with his Young family..

Until last Ryder cup was the greatest RC player of all time. Did you bother checking why he retired when he did or just assume it based on his age.. Because you're so far off the mark.

Oh and as for happy just being Euro or GB&I No1, let's not forget he was world No1 for 97 weeks in his career only 2 people have more weeks at No1 than Faldo and that's Norman and Tiger..

But yeah you're right Harrington was more determined 🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

Faldo is 4th in the all time list and top European player in terms of majors with 6 over a 20 year period into his 40’s- why the heck did he need to grind away to try and win minor tour events ?!

And players getting better in their late 40’s ?! Really - im not sure about that

People will only continue playing later if they enjoy it still or need the money - Faldo was in neither of those camps.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just want to paste the first couple of lines of Faldo's Wikipedia entry:

Sir Nicholas Alexander Faldo, MBE (born 18 July 1957) is an English professional golfer who is now mainly an on-air golf analyst. A top player of his era, renowned for his dedication to the game,[1] he was ranked No. 1 on the Official World Golf Ranking for a total of 97 weeks.

:LOL:

D

Deleted member 1147

Just want to paste the first couple of lines of Faldo's Wikipedia entry:

Sir Nicholas Alexander Faldo, MBE (born 18 July 1957) is an English professional golfer who is now mainly an on-air golf analyst. A top player of his era, renowned for his dedication to the game,[1] he was ranked No. 1 on the Official World Golf Ranking for a total of 97 weeks.

:LOL:
If we're quoting Wikipedia:

Gary Player said "He had a work ethic that was quite unbelievable"

Nick Dougherty said "He's the most driven human being I've ever known. People say Tiger Woods created the new breed of golfer but I believe Nick Faldo did "

Leadbetter said"Faldo's strong work ethic was praised by Leadbetter, who said that during uncomfortably hot conditions in the summer heat of Florida, a conservative estimate of Faldo's practice levels would be him hitting "500–800 balls a day, everyday". Leadbetter said: "I don't know how many balls we hit in total but it was thousands and thousands. He also kept up his short game too – he worked hard on that aspect of his game. "

But conversely, Grant85 said "he is someone who had that belief and perhaps needed more competition in the GB&I world to push on even more than he did. He was happy enough being top GB&I and even top Euro player (vying with Seve) but he didn't quite have the same determination and doggedness as someone like a Harrington"

:unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Faldo is 4th in the all time list and top European player in terms of majors with 6 over a 20 year period into his 40’s- why the heck did he need to grind away to try and win minor tour events ?!

And players getting better in their late 40’s ?! Really - im not sure about that

People will only continue playing later if they enjoy it still or need the money - Faldo was in neither of those camps.

Who said anything about minor tour events?

Tom Watson nearly won the Open in his late 50s. Woods has won the Masters at 43, might win more.
Phil is certainly good enough to win another big event.
Jack won the Masters at 45 I believe.

Sure these guys all need a bit of luck and they need to be competitive when they know there are better players than them in the field.

Point being that if you aren't playing a reasonable schedule, you don't even give yourself chances for the events when things fall into place.

The fact is that Faldo does CBS most weeks so he is still 'on tour' so it's not like he gave it all up for a quiet life to go and tend his garden and play with his grand kids.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If we're quoting Wikipedia:

Gary Player said "He had a work ethic that was quite unbelievable"

Nick Dougherty said "He's the most driven human being I've ever known. People say Tiger Woods created the new breed of golfer but I believe Nick Faldo did "

Leadbetter said"Faldo's strong work ethic was praised by Leadbetter, who said that during uncomfortably hot conditions in the summer heat of Florida, a conservative estimate of Faldo's practice levels would be him hitting "500–800 balls a day, everyday". Leadbetter said: "I don't know how many balls we hit in total but it was thousands and thousands. He also kept up his short game too – he worked hard on that aspect of his game. "

But conversely, Grant85 said "he is someone who had that belief and perhaps needed more competition in the GB&I world to push on even more than he did. He was happy enough being top GB&I and even top Euro player (vying with Seve) but he didn't quite have the same determination and doggedness as someone like a Harrington"

:unsure:

Work ethic and determination are not the same.

The fact he still goes and does commentary every week, when he certainly doesn't need the money, confirms he has a work ethic and he doesn't want to sit on his bum. No doubt he enjoys being relevant as well.

Faldo didn't have the determination to try and compete when he knew he wasn't the best player, or one of the best players.

D

Deleted member 1147

From Faldo's citation in the World Golf Hall of Fame:

"Like Ben Hogan before him, Sir Nick Faldo seeks perfection with such single-mindedness... "

"Faldo had relied on dedication, consistency, tempo and one of the strongest competitive minds the game has ever seen."

and what he was dedicated towards (as opposed to just winning tour events):

"Between 1987 and 1995, Faldo won six major championships-three British Opens and three Masters. Although he has a total of 39 tournament victories around the world, including six events on the PGA TOUR, Faldo’s focus has always been on his performance in the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship. In one stretch between 1988 and 1993, Faldo was never out of the top 20 in a Grand Slam event. "

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well off the mark with some of this stuff Grant, sorry to say.

Who will never win a major?

Fowler, he would have to shoot a 65 in the final round and come from 5 shots back to have a chance, no chance his nerves could do it as a front runner.
Fleetwood, great player but is similar to Fowler, he almost pulled it off with his last round at the us open in 2018.
Kuchar, just can't see it happening for him. Playing some of his best golf atm so would have to be in next year or 2.

Guys who will win majors for sure
Cantley,
Rahm,
Xander,
Bryson

All very young and almost as talented as prime Spieth just not had the amazing run he had.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guys, I think Grant realises he made a mistake and is wrong about Faldo. I'm sure if he could take it back he would, so let's not dwell on it.

Faldo was simply a machine. What he didn't know about the golf swing isn't worth knowing. He was determined, dogged, and downright ruthless in the pursuit of perfection.

He is the most decorated European golfer of all time (currently). 6 majors. Six. Yes, many didn't take to him because of how he was, but no one could doubt his golf or determination.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guys, I think Grant realises he made a mistake and is wrong about Faldo. I'm sure if he could take it back he would, so let's not dwell on it.

Faldo was simply a machine. What he didn't know about the golf swing isn't worth knowing. He was determined, dogged, and downright ruthless in the pursuit of perfection.

He is the most decorated European golfer of all time (currently). 6 majors. Six. Yes, many didn't take to him because of how he was, but no one could doubt his golf or determination.
Although, in keeping with the original thread, I absolutely can't see Faldo winning another major now. :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
Grant, when are you releasing details of your forthcoming comedy tour? Although have you got enough material to fill a show? :ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I am also starting to believe Ricky won't win a major, shame really as he's a player I like.

Casey in my opinion hasn't got the game to win a major, again don't mind being wrong on that one either as Casey is another I enjoy watching, very simple swing.

Although both these guys just need to look at Adam Scott for inspiration, didn't think he was ever going to get it over the line either and he did so there is hope if you have the determination.

Or you can look at Clarke and see it just takes one week where your stars align.