How to work with a pro when you don’t

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
...want a swing change.

I’ve been put off going to a pro for lessons for the following reason. I’m following a YouTube instructor (Mike Malaska), and don’t want to deviate from his instruction.

The problem is it’s YouTube and I don’t get any analysis of my own swing. Obviously I can’t get the pro to teach me Mikes swing philosophy. So what are ways around this? How do I get the most out of a lesson whilst keeping in line with what I’m already trying to learn and practice?

Primarily I want to know where my misses and inconsistencies come from so I can recognise and correct them when I’m on my on. I don’t mind taking on tips and corrections, but what I don’t want is to have the pro try teach me a new swing or anything that is too contradictory to what I’m learning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tell him what you have just said. It is your lesson.

I've been before for a lesson on a single club, one shot and was clear that was all I wanted to work on, nothing else. Pro was happy, he had clear instructions.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tell him what you have just said. It is your lesson.

I've been before for a lesson on a single club, one shot and was clear that was all I wanted to work on, nothing else. Pro was happy, he had clear instructions.

My perception is that it’d be harder than that. lol. Are they usually quite flexible like that?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My perception is that it’d be harder than that. lol. Are they usually quite flexible like that?

Ha ha, depends on your pro. I get your point, they may scoff at what you are doing. However I would make this clear before the booking. If they start to question your approach then don't book the lesson with them. If they get what you are trying to do then book away.

I have perhaps not gone with something as different as you are doing but I have usually gone with a specific problem and the pro has usually just stuck to that, not tried to change everything. At the end of the day it is your money, your lesson. If they want you to go back again, and they will, they need to follow what you ask for. You are the customer, don't forget that.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the way to do it is to have the lesson with the pro, he'll identify the issues that you've got, and then you can watch Mike Malaska's YouTube instruction on dealing with the issues that have been identified.

As a general rule, I don't see there being that many wholly different theories on how to swing a club, the number of different explanations and videos out there are more to do with how different people go about explaining the feeling of doing it the right way.

The pro might provide you with a very helpful feeling, but if you choose to ignore it and revert to a Mike Malaska drill then that's up to you. It won't mean the lesson has been wasted by any stretch.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you have a way of contacting this you tube coach?

Some coaches now do online lessons - you video them some swings to analyse and they send you an analysis video back using hudl or similar

Failing that, it really depends on the coach. I wouldn't advocate making any bug changes during the season. Some coaches will help tweak one small thing whilst others will be full steam ahead making wholesale changes if they only teach one method / one way to swing

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had lessons off a few different pros, all have had a different way of teaching, but fundamentally the approach has been very similar. What puts me off going back to someone, is when the person you are seeing starts to criticise one of their peers for the way they teach and thinks their way is best.

As LT wrote, a pro that will listen to your requirements and formulate a lesson around them and being able to accommodate their way of doing things into the lesson so that you don't even notice that you are changing something is what you are after, but you need to make it known up front.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The coach may spot a fundamental issue in your swing which needs fixing before you worry about whatever you think you are working on.

If you want a lesson, get one, but there is no point if all you want him to do is tell you how close you are to a video.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Primarily I want to know where my misses and inconsistencies come from so I can recognise and correct them when I’m on my on. I don’t mind taking on tips and corrections, but what I don’t want is to have the pro try teach me a new swing or anything that is too contradictory to what I’m learning.

What is the problem, contact or direction?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know where you are coming from to an extent. The issue with this is making sure you understand and do exactly what you are being told, even if it sounds wrong.
I can speak from first hand as for 5 years now I've been working on the 1 Plane Swing. Read the book numerous times by Jim Hardy and watched videos. It was only after I had a lesson with a 1 Plane certified coach who told me how much I had misunderstood things.
The trouble with this game, for me at least, is what your brain tells you to do is wrong.
The more most important thing is to find a coach who will teach the principals that Mike Malaska does.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you doing this YOUTUBE coaching all by yourself or are you working with a friend so that you are doing it correctly. Are you making videos of when you practice so you can go back and check what you are doing? The problem is at times, what we think we are doing and what we are doing can be totally different.

Last time I had a lesson the pro told me I was doing something in the backswing, I looked at him like he was talking out of his ass. He filmed it on his Ipad and we replayed it on some swing analysis software and he was right. I honestly thought I was doing something different to what I was and would never had believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last time I had a lesson the pro told me I was doing something in the backswing, I looked at him like he was talking out of his ass. He filmed it on his Ipad and we replayed it on some swing analysis software and he was right. I honestly thought I was doing something different to what I was and would never had believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes.

I've been playing for many decades and when I was videoed a couple of months ago by a pro I would have happily bet him a four figure sum that I wasn't doing what it proved I was! To say I was shocked is a huge understatement.

So, I completely agree that regular, peer referenced, video checks are vital in the sort of situation op outlines.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been playing for many decades and when I was videoed a couple of months ago by a pro I would have happily bet him a four figure sum that I wasn't doing what it proved I was! To say I was shocked is a huge understatement.

So, I completely agree that regular, peer referenced, video checks are vital in the sort of situation op outlines.

Scary as hell isn't it, seeing your own golf swing. We all think we swing like Speith, when the reality is it looks more like Furyk....:mmm:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Every Pro has had that

You're doing this
No I'm not
Actually you are
No I'm not
I'm afraid you are

Film the swing and show it to the pupli

Oh, so I am

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Contact the pro and maybe go and see him and show him a youtube video from the guy who's philosophy you're using. Have a chat with what your getting from them and ask if he can help and work along those lines. If he can, crack on and enjoy the lesson

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
. At the end of the day it is your money, your lesson. If they want you to go back again, and they will, they need to follow what you ask for. You are the customer, don't forget that.

Good point.

As a general rule, I don't see there being that many wholly different theories on how to swing a club, the number of different explanations and videos out there are more to do with how different people go about explaining the feeling of doing it the right way.

Watching Mike has taught me that, but also there’s a lot out there that can screw you up too. I think with a good pro though there will be fundamentals throughout that pervade most swings and maybe a pro can identify those.

Do you have a way of contacting this you tube coach?

Some coaches now do online lessons - you video them some swings to analyse and they send you an analysis video back using hudl or similar

I don’t think he does that. He charges $700 for lessons so I’ll have to stick with YouTube until i come into money haha

The coach may spot a fundamental issue in your swing which needs fixing before you worry about whatever you think you are working on.

If you want a lesson, get one, but there is no point if all you want him to do is tell you how close you are to a video.

No that’s not what I expect at all. I just hope that pro can identify what’s causing problems and I can incorporate that into my understanding.

I know where you are coming from to an extent. The issue with this is making sure you understand and do exactly what you are being told, even if it sounds wrong.
I can speak from first hand as for 5 years now I've been working on the 1 Plane Swing. Read the book numerous times by Jim Hardy and watched videos. It was only after I had a lesson with a 1 Plane certified coach who told me how much I had misunderstood things.
The trouble with this game, for me at least, is what your brain tells you to do is wrong.

As far as I know there are no Malaska teachers in the uk. Maybe there are coaches elsewhere though that might do video analysis.

Are you doing this YOUTUBE coaching all by yourself or are you working with a friend so that you are doing it correctly. Are you making videos of when you practice so you can go back and check what you are doing? The problem is at times, what we think we are doing and what we are doing can be totally different.

All by myself. I’ve done a couple of videos but not nearly as much as I should have done. Maybe that’s just laziness. Easiest place for me is the back garden. But it’s with practice balls hitting into a curtain! But yes I should definitely have done more.

I have one pre-paid lesson I need to take from Affordable Golf. I’ve been putting it off tho as the last one I took the guy wanted me to fire my hips before swinging. That was all sorts of wrong. I’ll approach this one differently and afterwards go a more reputable pro.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is the problem, contact or direction?

I can be inconsistent and dispersion can be wide left to wide right with occasional duff shot but most consistent miss is push right. With the driver it’s a push slice.

I think a lot of this might be down to trying to hit it too hard as well as too much weight shift. Hoping a pro could be able to identify it independently so I can leave the guess work out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Teaching golf is a science based on the ball flight.

If you're missing it left and right I would check your grip.*
And with the driver it will be slightly out to in with the face open (again the grip)
My guess based on what you've said is a weak left hand and a strong right hand (right hander)
An easy fix without changing the swing

*Assuming your aim is ok.