Players you can’t see ever winning a major.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally feel there used to be a real random element to winning a major. Especially the Open and US Open where weather could play a part.

The likes of Ben Curtis, Shawn Micheel, Todd Hamilton, Mike Weir etc. winning majors (and not much else) when seasoned champions such as Monty & Westwood could not despite far more consistent and lucrative careers.

More recently it is striking how many guys only have 1 major - the likes of DJ, Rose, Garcia, Stenson, Thomas, Day, Scott as guys you would say should have more than 1 (and obviously might get more). Plus a pile of guys with solid careers - only on 1 - McDowell, Bradley, Simpson, Walker Reed, Willett, Dufner, Schwartzel, Oosty who you could argue just got hot the right week.

And there is a fairly small list of guys with more than 1 major win this century;
Tiger
Phil 5
Rory 4
Koepka 4
Spieth 3
Harrington 3
Zach Johnson 2
Bubba Watson 2Le
Martin Kaymer 2
Angel Cabrera 2
Retief Goosen 2

Ridiculous that Cabrera, Johnson and Watson have 2 given the games they have and the careers they've had compared to plenty others with 1 or none.

In terms of guys without one, who are certainly good enough -
Casey
Fowler
Finau
Kuchar

Personally think these guys are just missing the killer instinct to get over the line at the biggest events. Likewise think the ship has sailed for Westwood and Donald who are in a similar category.

Another list of guys who will have good careers, but probably not quite up to a major
Fitzpatrick
Hatton
Leishman
RCB
Li
Snedeker

I'd back quite a few others to get majors at some point;
Fleetwood
Rahm
Schauffle
Bryson
Matsuyama
Pepperell
Wallace

Also would not be surprised if the following do not add to their current totals
DJ
Spieth
Day
Scott

Not a million miles from my own views. You never know though, I thought that Sergio would never get over the line, but played some great golf when he needed to.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day you can't discount anyone who tees it up in a Major.
They've qualified by one means or another so must have some sort of game.
Given the right week and the breaks anyone can win one.
You need a big slice of luck, as well as good play, to win one of these things
The likes of Hamilton, Curtis, Beam, Micheel and the rest are all the proof you need.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For arguments sake on here, let us assume a players career as a tour pro runs from 22 (once they have a tour card and have learned how to compete on tour, and that's perhaps a little generous) and runs to 42 (yes I know there have been major winners over 40 but it's not a common occurrence) that would give a 20 year window. Even assuming these players get an invite to Augusta, certainly early in their career and qualify for all four majors every year that is only 80 chances to win. Given the calibre of players out there, add in the one hit wonders like Hamilton, etc then its a tiny window of opportunity and needs an awful lot of factors to align.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That analysis is all over the shop.

Whilst neither are close to my top 100 players, Bubba and ZJ have had fantastic, HoF careers. Pretty insulting comment

Finau has one win so far, in an alternative field event. Not sure how he is comparable to the other 3.

Fitz and Li aren't even 25 Ffs, give them a chance. They've not had close to enough experience to rule them out.

Not insulting ZJ or Bubba - but they aren't Stenson, Garcia, Rose, Scott, Day, DJ level guys. ZJ got a huge amount out of his game, being very tidy with a fairly one dimensional long game. Bubba is simply a wildcard who can only play courses that suit him - got lucky that Augusta is one of those - barely had a top 10 at any other major.

Was going through guys in top 50 with regards to naming other players aside form the main ones that others had mentioned.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Pepperell? No chance.

Wallace I don’t think so, but his swing is quickly becoming my favourite out there

Eddie Pep will compete at the Open most years. And will also have chances in the US Open on the right courses. Very frustrating he was injured for this week.

Wallace has been on a great trajectory career wise and could give himself a load of chances over the next few years.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not insulting ZJ or Bubba - but they aren't Stenson, Garcia, Rose, Scott, Day, DJ level guys. ZJ got a huge amount out of his game, being very tidy with a fairly one dimensional long game. Bubba is simply a wildcard who can only play courses that suit him - got lucky that Augusta is one of those - barely had a top 10 at any other major.

Was going through guys in top 50 with regards to naming other players aside form the main ones that others had mentioned.

Bubba is an incredible talent. To suggest he got lucky is just simply pig ignorant.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry again that’s nonsense about both Watson and ZJ ?!

ZJ has around the same tour wins as all the players you mention plus more majors - those guys haven’t reached his level of results , just because he isn’t a “flair” player doesn’t mean his ability can be dismissed and Watson also got to a playoff in the US PGA - calling him “lucky” is as already been said ignorant to his ability’s- he maybe unconventional but you can not argue with his results.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally feel there used to be a real random element to winning a major. Especially the Open and US Open where weather could play a part.

The likes of Ben Curtis, Shawn Micheel, Todd Hamilton, Mike Weir etc. winning majors (and not much else) when seasoned champions such as Monty & Westwood could not despite far more consistent and lucrative careers.

More recently it is striking how many guys only have 1 major - the likes of DJ, Rose, Garcia, Stenson, Thomas, Day, Scott as guys you would say should have more than 1 (and obviously might get more). Plus a pile of guys with solid careers - only on 1 - McDowell, Bradley, Simpson, Walker Reed, Willett, Dufner, Schwartzel, Oosty who you could argue just got hot the right week.

And there is a fairly small list of guys with more than 1 major win this century;
Tiger
Phil 5
Rory 4
Koepka 4
Spieth 3
Harrington 3
Zach Johnson 2
Bubba Watson 2Le
Martin Kaymer 2
Angel Cabrera 2
Retief Goosen 2

Ridiculous that Cabrera, Johnson and Watson have 2 given the games they have and the careers they've had compared to plenty others with 1 or none.

In terms of guys without one, who are certainly good enough -
Casey
Fowler
Finau
Kuchar

Personally think these guys are just missing the killer instinct to get over the line at the biggest events. Likewise think the ship has sailed for Westwood and Donald who are in a similar category.

Another list of guys who will have good careers, but probably not quite up to a major
Fitzpatrick
Hatton
Leishman
RCB
Li
Snedeker

I'd back quite a few others to get majors at some point;
Fleetwood
Rahm
Schauffle
Bryson
Matsuyama
Pepperell
Wallace

Also would not be surprised if the following do not add to their current totals
DJ
Spieth
Day
Scott
Mark leishman not quite up to major ? What drugs do you smoke mate especially when you think Wallace and pepperell of all people are better equipped

Wolf

Visit site
Some of the comments on here about players like ZJ. 10 PGA tour wins and 2 majors..

What people should really be thinking is actually he's a good player. I do often wonder about people sanity sometimes

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry again that’s nonsense about both Watson and ZJ ?!

ZJ has around the same tour wins as all the players you mention plus more majors - those guys haven’t reached his level of results , just because he isn’t a “flair” player doesn’t mean his ability can be dismissed and Watson also got to a playoff in the US PGA - calling him “lucky” is as already been said ignorant to his ability’s- he maybe unconventional but you can not argue with his results.

Yip Bubba can out play certain types of course yet has wins in Texas, Georgia and the Bahamas!

Two Masters victories including one of the best shots I have ever witnessed out of the trees, top tens in both the US Open and the USPGA, 2 x WGC event wins also.

Such a lucky guy to have won all these!

😂😂😂😂

D

Deleted member 1147

Bubba has won at Riviera 3 times, TPC River Highlands 3 times, Augusta twice - wow, when he gets lucky, he gets LUCKY !

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pepperell? No chance.

Wallace I don’t think so, but his swing is quickly becoming my favourite out there
I can't see Pepperell ever winning a major, but Wallace I can. He's got some serious game. 3rd in the PGA and 12th in the US this season - I'm going to be backing him for the Open, I think he has a decent chance.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I do totally get where Grant is coming from.

I don't think anyone is arguing that ZJ is a poor player or underserving, but despite his majors I wouldn't categorise him as a top player like those we talk about when discussing "who's going to win this week" etc he is a solid player who due to the tightness of his game will usually be posting decent rounds. No major win is lucky but perhaps we could categorise it as surprising, I doubt many people picked him as a winner, and when you compare his game to those top players who haven't won a major it makes it more surprising. Major results aside I would say Westwood and Monty were better golfers than ZJ.

Bubba is very wild, but when his game is on he can shoot really low as he hits the ball a mile and a whole load of spin. Definitely not lucky but perhaps I would compare him to John Daly who also won 2 majors. I would probably not rate him as one the top players in the world, but there is no denying when it starts clicking he can win big events.

Harrington is another I would stick in that bracket, obviously a terrific player but perhaps surprising he is a multiple major winner.

That's how I would categorise those players, obviously very talented and good golfers, but maybe being multiple major winner is a little surprising when you compare them to players that have never won a major and would be considered objectively better golfers.

I think Rahm will win one, he is always up and around the middle of the pack, he just needs one week where the gods smile on him and putts drop and the bounces go in his favour. Likewise Fleetwood I think he will pick up a couple of Opens, especially if the wind blows his truncated swing is built for tough links conditions.

Fowler would be my pick for players that have the game to win a major but never will. I think if he got one a few years ago he would have picked up 3 or 4 by now, but with each year that passes the mental side just gets harder and harder. And like Westwood and Monty I think that the mental side will kill him when he gets in contention. Sergio did his best not to win a major by messing up at the final hurdle several times, but glad his he fall over the finish line once in his career

D

Deleted member 1147

I would agree that Paddy is probably the most unlikely 3 time major winner

D

Deleted member 1147

But isn't he a bit like Faldo and went away to rebuild his swing and got murdered in the press for doing so and came back to win a major. Definite vindication for me for a single minded drive and desire to be the best player possible
Harrington isn't in the same league as Faldo

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
From the current top 50:

Paul Casey
Shane Lowry
Kevin Na
Ian Poulter
Matthew Fitzpatrick
Cabrera Bello
Eddie Pepperell