Player asks another person to check ball is his

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This happened in a 4somes comp at the weekend.

Group A had let Group B through. The player in Group B shanked his ball on a par 3 into rubbish where a player from Group A was standing. When player in Group B arrived he was long sighted and asked the player in Group A to check that the ball was his as he could not see whether it was his or otherwise.

Group A player picked up his ball WITHOUT marking it. The ball was the correct ball and he then placed it on the spot. Should the player in Group B be penalised 1 shot?

Spark.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When a third party disturbs a ball it should be replaced, without penalty stroke, to the place that it was when disturbed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When a third party disturbs a ball it should be replaced, without penalty stroke, to the place that it was when disturbed.

H'mm. Having been asked to do so, the Gp A guy is 'authorised' by Gp B gu, not an Outside Agencyy. Gp B guy is responsible for breaches of Rules. (20-1)

So Penalty for the Gp B. Not the normal 2 Shot/Loss of Hole in this case though. Just 1 Shot (both Stroke and Mtch Play).

Had he picked it up without authority, there would have been no penalty (to Gp B guy)

A ball to be lifted under the Rules may be lifted by the player, his partner or another person authorised by the player. In any such case, the player is responsible for any breach of the Rules.
The position of the ball must be marked before it is lifted under a Rule that requires it to be replaced. If it is not marked, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke and the ball must be replaced. If it is not replaced, the player incurs the general penalty for breach of this Rule but there is no additional penalty under Rule 20-1.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interested as to views on what constitutes authority from the player whose ball it is.

Couple of scenarios.

The ball is sitting down in the rough. Player A says, "My eyesight is dodgy, can you check if it's mine, I'm playing a Titleist 2 with 3 red dots", Player B looks at ball in situ, can't see any dots, so lifts ball to check, without marking it.

I'd be inclined to say no penalties in that case. Player A didn't explicitly authorise Player B to lift the ball.

Same situation; Player A says "Can you pick it up so I can have a look", assuming player B knows the Rules and will mark it first. Player B doesn't. Under the Rule as I read it, that would be a penalty to player A. Seems harsh and might make relations rather strained for the remainder of the round.

Do those interpretations seem right?