Player annoyances

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today at my course and tee is closed from 08:00 - 09:30 for the seniors. We teed off just after this and as you can imagine, were a little held up, which doesn't bother us.

When I collected the cards, there was a 3 ball who were just paying fees to play, not something I ever see, and they were on behind us.

They weren't the best players in the world, spraying the ball all over the place, not shouting fore, etc... but we just let it go.

What really winds me up is they were playing speed golf, literally sprinting to their balls and hacking their way down the course and then standing there with hands on hips all the time. It doesn't put me off, just really frustrates me when looking behind.

Does this annoy anyone else. We weren't holding play up, it was just a slow morning.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it annoys me as well and have had this a couple of times recently. One one occasion I let the group through and they then slowed right down to such an extent that they were holding people up. On the second instance I was waiting for a green to clear (was well within range so not being over ambitious) and a pair game off the hole behind yelling to hit the ball and stop holding them up. I am not a slow player by any means so people acting in such a way winds me up.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with the sentiments expressed. When i go to play golf either on my own course or at a society outing my wife and family know i am gone for the a reasonable length of time-If players want to get around a course in the quickest time possible they should take up pitch & putt or just play a par 3 course.

I think people are so busy in their lifes that they find it difficult to relax even on the golf course.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That type of behaviour bugs me to bits. Sometimes the course just isn't moving fast and you can't let groups through as there is just no where for them to go - we face the same when playing saturday afternoon medals behind the ladies, they themselves are not slow, they are held up by the parties of visitors in front. The result being the pay and play visitors behind us end up stomping their feet complaining of slow play.

christian

www.tourgolfblog.com
Yeah, this irritates me also. I dislike having fast people on my tail more than playing behind slow people. I hate feeling rushed, and it's difficult to get that out of your head when you have guys like that pushing you all the way around. I generally try to let the fast guys play through, even if there's no where for them to go.

Tour Golf Blog

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Caught up a fourball on Friday, they started an hour in front of us, and we caught up on the 12th. No one in front of them, but would they call us up, no. Now I reckon our 4 ball would have been round in 3 1/2 hours may be less (and it never felt that we were rushing, we just don't waste time). The lot in front were painfully slow, pretty much exhibiting every annoying trait you can have.

If the course is chokker, then I am happy to play slow, but if it is empty, I am going to be up the arse of any group that is playing slower than me. Always nice at this time of year to get in before it is dark.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing 4-ball Friday, we were slowed by society 4-balls in front so nowehere to go. Caught up by later starters with no patience, no manners and no sense.
They were driving closer and closer to us, felt like chucking their balls in the lake. If there's a next time I hope I keep my temper and get them chucked off the course instead.
As it is I know who was hosting them so hope I remember to mention it next time I see him.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The art of calling the 4ball behind through has DIED. Slow golf is blamed on tv coverage. Rubbish. It's guys out on the golf course who think because they had expencive golf clubs and a BMW in the car park they have every right to be good. Sorry to dissapoint them but just because a flash car works at a wine bar dosent mean it works on the course, so would all these flash harrys leave the club houses.