Ping Fitting - Tips for someone who's not been there before

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Folks,

Having been through an extensive selection / manuf search with the Pro at my club we have decided that the Pings give the best blend of performance and forgivness for my game. I have been booked in at G'brough for the full fitting and would like some tips from those who have been so I get the best from the session.

The Q's I have are:

On youtube I've seen them use a range and indoor nets for the fittings - is a range the norm except in extreame weather (as I hate nets!)

My session is at 9:15 - are there 'spare' bays so I can get a bucket (small - save the energy!) of balls to warm up so I am as ready as I can be for the start of my session?

Irons / Hybrids mix - my current set of clubs is LW-6i and then 5h & 4h. Our Pro only has demo 7i in 3 lies, presumably they will have 5i in range of lies so I can make a 5i / 5h decision?

Time - presumably the slot is fixed as they will have follow-on bookings (90 min for full??) - is there an option to take a couple of options to a spare bay outside this to dither in my time?

Time - will there by time to sort the top of the bag - f/way woods etc within the fitting slot?

Wedges - included as part of the fitting - ie set wedge or tour spec etc.

Any other tips / thinks to think about before I go?

(Out of interest, the Pro and I got to I25 Irons CFS Stiff, G25 Driver with I25 stiff shaft and Ping tour wedges)

Thanks

Simon

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
only heard excellent things about Gainsborough.

It Won't be netts.

Anyone turning up for a fitting hitting into netts or sheets do an about turn.

P.S valid questions so ask Gainsborough, they are very helpful and will put you at ease, you're the customer remember.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
only heard excellent things about Gainsborough.

Anyone turning up for a fitting hitting into netts or sheets do an about turn.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, it's interesting you have said that. Is that a perception thing? I mean things like Trackman etc are pretty accurate regarding ball flight etc aren't they? Precision golf you hit into nets and I thought they were considered one of the premium fitters.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Without wanting to hijack the thread, it's interesting you have said that. Is that a perception thing? I mean things like Trackman etc are pretty accurate regarding ball flight etc aren't they? Precision golf you hit into nets and I thought they were considered one of the premium fitters.

more a personal thing, yes Trackman can 'calculate' what the ball would have 'probably' done but a golfer needs visual feedback - well I do - for affirmation its the flight, shape, height that I like to see.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its a while since I was at Ping for a fitting but from what I can remember; hit into a net while they do some measuring. They make up what looks to be your spec, then off down the range to try the versions out they think will suit you. If that doesn't work, it's repeat the process till they get it right.

They are patient and don't seem to mind if you ask them to tweak it. Don't be frightened to say if you don't like something.

90mins is a long time to be hitting balls/concentrating etc... it's a great experience, and it's in their best interests to get it right.

Don't worry, you'll love it(probably).

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
more a personal thing, yes Trackman can 'calculate' what the ball would have 'probably' done but a golfer needs visual feedback - well I do - for affirmation its the flight, shape, height that I like to see.

The perfect scenario is proper golf balls hit on a range on a no-wind day. If you're banging cr4ppy range balls into a net, that ain't the best especially if you're a power hitter.

For indoor hitting, the GC2 + HMT is the best LM imho.

C

c1973

I attended an Ping open day at the club to get the top end of my bag sorted (irons were sorted earlier), well worth the time taken. Although we went with trackman data (apparently I have lowish driver spin :confused:) I reckon the guy fitting you can pretty much tell what set up you need just by watching you hitting balls. I believe the data will only back up their opinion rather than make it. :)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You will not be hitting into nets.
Ping use trackman with Nflight software installed on them, you will be hitting Srixon AD333 and not range balls.
Your getting fitted in the ping bays, but there is a separate range to warm up on if you want (Not really needed, you'll have a few minutes to get warmed up before you're fitting)
90minutes is long enough for Ping to fit you across the bag, 40 minutes is allowed to fit irons and a full bag is 90 minutes.
Dependant on shaft choice, they may have a 5iron you can hit alongside a 5 hybrid. (should be no issues, CFS S is a popular shaft)
All I have to say is, don't worry about the fitting. Ping have the perfect set up to tailor a set of clubs to you. Go and enjoy the day, you will not walk away with a fit you do not want.