Ping clubs without a fitting

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I really don't get all this "fitting" malarkey.
Just pick up a variety of clubs until one of them screams at you "this bastid will shift it" and then just splash the cash.
Rely on your instincts, they're rarely wrong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just pick up a variety of clubs until one of them screams at you "this bastid will shift it" and then just splash the cash.
Whilst many will disagree I just couldn't help but laugh at the reality of this statement.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve no idea how much difference the lie angle makes, but when fitted at Gainsborough the chart suggested red dot (1 degree flat) as I am 5’ 5”, but using the strike board I came out at blue dot (1 degree upright). When a mobile Ping fitter came to our club last year, he queried the blue dot fitting due to my height, but it again came out at blue. What this shows is how you deliver the club to the ball is more important than using a chart.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

unfortunatly it is usually followed a month later by “ this bastid is broke” ?

That said I have had a Ping fitting and it was excellent. Part of the buying process. ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have only been fitted once. Set of Mizuno irons. I couldn't hit a cows arse with them and sold them two months later. I've always bought off the peg and have only made one mistake with irons and that was by getting the wrong shafts.
My current irons were purchased with just a waggle of one in the pro shop and I love 'em.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had two sets of Pings (still have one of them) and got black dot each time as that is what the static fitting chart said. I seem to hit them OK ... but I guess I don’t know how well I would hit irons with other colour codes. I personally don’t think my swing is consistent enough for a fitting ... it would depend on which swing turnEd up on the day.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have only been fitted once. Set of Mizuno irons. I couldn't hit a cows arse with them and sold them two months later. I've always bought off the peg and have only made one mistake with irons and that was by getting the wrong shafts.
My current irons were purchased with just a waggle of one in the pro shop and I love 'em.

Ah the closet waggler.....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing you're a mid to high handicap golfer?
I initially needed a custom fit being 6ft 4 but now I know my spec (1inch longer 3 degrees upright) I just make a purchase

BennyBoy85

Visit site
I’m in the same boat as the author. Got my eye on a set of G400’s, usually I’d wait but they’re in the sale so leave it too long and the price will inevitably rise.
I do see the merit of having a fitting, not quite the same but I had a driver fitting earlier this year and it’s definitely helped me choose the right club.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On second thoughts, surely anyone going through any form of lessons will rule the fitting void as the swing you are fitted for will not be the swing you end up with.

I’m going with smithy, just waggle it!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm guessing you're a mid to high handicap golfer?
I initially needed a custom fit being 6ft 4 but now I know my spec (1inch longer 3 degrees upright) I just make a purchase
I've kind of said this on another thread.
When you've been playing a decent amount of time you have an idea as to what works and what doesn't, what weight of shaft you prefer, grip, length etc etc.
I've had some poor fittings down the years. To be fair it could be down to the way the clubs were built rather than the fitting.
If the fit says +1/2 inch and 2° up with a swing weight of D3 but they come in 1/4 inch long 3°up and swingweight D1 then they're going to perform differently
And unless you're able to measure them you're not going to know., you won't play well with them and you'll sell them within a few months.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've kind of said this on another thread.
When you've been playing a decent amount of time you have an idea as to what works and what doesn't, what weight of shaft you prefer, grip, length etc etc.
I've had some poor fittings down the years. To be fair it could be down to the way the clubs were built rather than the fitting.
If the fit says +1/2 inch and 2° up with a swing weight of D3 but they come in 1/4 inch long 3°up and swingweight D1 then they're going to perform differently
And unless you're able to measure them you're not going to know., you won't play well with them and you'll sell them within a few months.
I can't argue with that. I've taken every set of irons I've baught to my friend and one way or another they've always had issues. Some small, some big

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to a fit and came out at green dot for the G25's. Didn't like them so went for the I25's and came out the same. All good until I got the itch and rocked up at Golfbidder and got a set of blue dots off the shelf. I think there are merits to a fitting but I also think sometimes you can take a punt on a standard set

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rick shiels podcast this week his co host guy (ex fitter) was saying custom fitting is really overated

He goes into a lot of details but the end got me

After you pick your shaft and club set etc what's the one thing that you always touch? The grip. You only ever try the one on the shaft. You get measured maybe for grip size over etc they then order you clubs with grips you have never hit

He did say things like right clubs ie 5-pw not 3-pw etc

And try a few sets see what you like

And if your tall or short get your longer or shorter etc ..

But custom fit complete overated in his opinion

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just bear in mind there's no industry standard in lengths and lie angles, so whilst most are similar, not all are the same.
Instead of working off "1 inch longer" you could take an actual measurement of your 6 iron, that way you can compare that to the "standard" in whatever model you buy next. A standard Callaway might be significantly longer than a Mizuno.
Likewise lie angles of your current set.
That's what I do.