Ping clubs without a fitting

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi
in non-COVID times I would happily and enjoyably arrange a proper fitting.

However with this not possible any tips for getting the right Ping iron set ups?

For those that have seen my other post I am torn between the launchpad and ping g400

C

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you Google Ping dot guide you should get a table from Ping giving you an idea of what will suit. After that, get what you want and see how they go.

I bought some second hand G25 irons a while ago. I asked a similar question and then someone asked 'how are you hitting them?'. Nice trajectory, direction, distance was the reply. 'They are right for you then'. It doesn't need to be overly complicated all of the time.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I bought my G400s without fitting I had hit them and like them. But then I fit black dot regular length and flex bang on.

Reactions: MrC

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bought my Ping I series off the peg from Golfbidder - blue dot. I have been fitted previously but assuming you aren't overly tall or short then the standard fit (some confusion over whether that is still black dot or now blue dot) should suffice

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should add, if you buy Pings and you are not hitting them cleanly then a pro somewhere should be able to offer a loft and lie check. If that shows it isn't right for you then either they can alter them or you can send them to Ping and they will adjust them for a fee.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I should add, if you buy Pings and you are not hitting them cleanly then a pro somewhere should be able to offer a loft and lie check. If that shows it isn't right for you then either they can alter them or you can send them to Ping and they will adjust them for a fee.

Interesting - that helps

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought my Ping I series off the peg from Golfbidder - blue dot. I have been fitted previously but assuming you aren't overly tall or short then the standard fit (some confusion over whether that is still black dot or now blue dot) should suffice

I am just under 5’9”

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Is the correct answer.
A good few years ago now I bought a set of Ping irons from the pro at Highwoods when I was a member there. They were on display in the pro shop, "standard" black dot, so after a bit of negotiation I went for them.
He said to try them out to see how I got on with them, if I wasn't 100% happy he'd take a look at them and alter them FOC to suit. He didn't need to do anything, they were fine.
I don't know if you are looking to buy them online, but Ping are the one make of club I'd suggest buying from your local pro, even if it costs a "little" extra, as it will save a lot of faffing about in the future if adjustments were needed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am just under 5’9”
I'm the same height. Mine have a yellow dot which technically shouldn't be quite right but are fine and don't need changing. It may be how I swing of course, your swing may require a different lie angle.

I do wonder if we over think this at times. I doubt my swing is accurately repetitive enough to definitively need one dot version. I could probably hit one of 3 dot colours and not notice any difference. This all depends on the quality of each golfer of course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am just under 5’9”

As already said by Imurg use the static fit system on the on the Ping website. It is not just about height but also wrist to floor measurement. I am between 5'9" and 5'10" but still have a flatter lie with Pings and a recommendation of a shorter shaft. If you are buying from a proshop that should be able to change the lie but they would not change the colour code.

A full fit from Ping would get also get you the right shaft length and flex and grip thickness.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm the same height. Mine have a yellow dot which technically shouldn't be quite right but are fine and don't need changing. It may be how I swing of course, your swing may require a different lie angle.

I do wonder if we over think this at times. I doubt my swing is accurately repetitive enough to definitively need one dot version. I could probably hit one of 3 dot colours and not notice any difference. This all depends on the quality of each golfer of course.

When I was fitted for my last set of Mizuno one of the comments made by the fitter was "how often do you get a truly flat lie and will one or 2 degrees really make that much difference" I know where I play about the only time you get a flat lie is on some but not all tees and even on the par 3s I am often hitting wood or rescue.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to Ping in Gainsborough and the fitting is ver good.
If your buying new I would get fitted.
How much golf are you going to play in the next few months?
COVID and the weather will be limited.
The static fit is good but there’s a lot that goes on in your swing that it cant see.
We’re all different and one size does not fit all .