Picking a club to join ?

Been looking and noticed theres a right good few gold clubs in my area. Wanted to join the one right across the road but it always looks mobbed during the day. Had a lesson today and pro did say you need to book a week in advance usually. Cant really be arsed with that want a club i can just wake up that morning and if i want to play i can get on. Are most clubs like this you need to book in advance ? And what do people look for when choosing a club to join ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the private clubs near me are flipping expensive so I would look at price first of all.

I think every club has it's own rules on getting on the course, some clubs you'll have to book a time, other clubs you'll be able to just walk on and play (but you might have to wait a bit if a lot of people are turning up at the same times obviously). You'll just have to research them online, or give them a call. Try and play the courses at least once as well of course, see if you like them. You wouldn't want to sign up for membership and then realise the course is an absolute chore to play. Some places will give you a discounted or even free round if you tell them you're interested in joining and want to sample the course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
At most clubs the cost is aligned to the ease of access.
Fewer members = greater cost as the club running costs must still be met, the more expensive clubs will often spend more on the course too.
Lots of members = lower cost, opposite to the above, course is often (but not always) of a lesser standard too, not least because it's used a lot more than a club where there are fewer members.

From your previous posts money doesn't seem to be an issue so in your shoes I'd look at joining a more expensive club, although this can mean waiting for a place to become available and then meeting their selection criteria, which might mean being proposed by an existing member.

The best thing to do is to visit as many clubs as you can and asking these and any other questions you have directly at the course.

Sekiro

Visit site
Also depends what you are wanting out of it (joining a club) is it just pure golf and nothing else or are you wanting to partake in the social element that goes with joining?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look around a few, think about what you want from it. My club is 14 minutes away, I can get on pretty much any time I like. It is quite open, a good test but not somewhere that will beat me up. The social side is poor but the ability to get on the course outweighs that, for the time being. It's always in decent condition but never exceptional.

The above gives an example of pro's and cons to think about.

There are a few on here from Glasgow, hopefully they can give you some pointers about clubs near to you.

It varies massively from club to club. Don't underestimate the benefits of proximity, but even if your nearest place is busy, it will have quiet times.

Folk on here will know about courses near you.. but there are lots of factors in choosing...
Thats the problem but i only want to play when my kids are at school so if the course is empty say after 3 ill never get down at that time. I probably want to play mon to fri starting about 10ish

Also depends what you are wanting out of it (joining a club) is it just pure golf and nothing else or are you wanting to partake in the social element that goes with joining?
No just golfing to give me something to do mid week. If i meet a few people then great but most people work during the day. So might end up with a few mates who are double my age lol

Diamond

Visit site
I was in the same position last year so I played a dozen courses during the winter. You see the course at it's worse so if in good nick and open then a good sign. I also looked at distance and cost.
The nearest and cheapest was only 9 holes and I wanted 18 holes so I picked a course about 15 minutes drive. A tough 69 but not too long where accuracy is key. Good for me as a novice.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I can only comment on mearns castle but usually pretty busy. Just looked at tee sheet and pretty full every day next week from 8am to 1pm so if you wanted to play at 10am would likely need to book a week in advance as the tee times become available.
From chatting to mates who play at other clubs in the area this is pretty normal, also if you book on at 10am there is every chance others will add onto your booking as its peak time. This might not be ideal when you are learning the game, i know i wanted to play alone until i could get round without embarrasing myself.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been looking and noticed theres a right good few gold clubs in my area. Wanted to join the one right across the road but it always looks mobbed during the day. Had a lesson today and pro did say you need to book a week in advance usually. Cant really be arsed with that want a club i can just wake up that morning and if i want to play i can get on. Are most clubs like this you need to book in advance ? And what do people look for when choosing a club to join ?

Our club is book online 8 days in advance at 8 pm in the evening by 8.01 all the really popular slots have gone.

You can just wake up in the morning and decide to pay during the week as there are normally quite a few unbooked slots. Saturdays all day and Sunday mornings are a different matter.

Mind you as a single player there are normally 2 and 3 balls you can join up with.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Think most club's up this way are rattling with members playing all the time at the moment. Once furlough is over you'll see a huge difference during the week. Weekends not so much.
I'd use the next few weeks to acquaint yourself with a few club's then by the time you join they'll be less busy.

Diamond

Visit site
Think most club's up this way are rattling with members playing all the time at the moment. Once furlough is over you'll see a huge difference during the week. Weekends not so much.
I'd use the next few weeks to acquaint yourself with a few club's then by the time you join they'll be less busy.

Some clubs do a reduced rate over winter for winter. Might be worth looking at that.

Aye thats a good point. Ill just keep on the lessons and get to the driving range until that furlough is over.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
You say the course opposite you is busy during most days and you need to book a week in advance.

I would check and see if they have a roll up most days which might be why it is busy which as a member you could be part of.

It is a great way to meet new people. play some golf and have some fun.

One other thing to consider when looking at new courses is do they have ladies day during the week?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd contact a couple of clubs expressing an interest in joining, normally they'll give you a complementary round - Then you can weigh up the good and bad - knowing that you've tried before you commit.
I actually have a few more local courses to me, but I joined because 75% of my golfing friends play at my club.