Picking a club to join ?

4 clubs im looking at joining are
1. williamwood
2. Cathcart Castle
3. whitecraigs
4. east ren

has anyone played at all 4 and if so could you rate them in order ? Williamwood is walking distance for me so would probably be slightly more convenient but all the others are a short drive.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
1. williamwood
2. Cathcart Castle
3. whitecraigs
4. east ren

has anyone played at all 4 and if so could you rate them in order ? Williamwood is walking distance for me so would probably be slightly more convenient but all the others are a short drive.

I know you were after someone who's played all 4. I haven't. Only played Whitecraigs and East Ren. East Ren is definitely the better course for my money. Whitecraigs is a great course but just prefer the other. Whitecraigs does have is the par 3 course which will be great for kids and honing the short game.

What I would say if there is no joining fee at Williamwood it's a no brainer to join there for a year or so until you become 'picky'. You can walk and become heavily involved in the social side. Assume it has a practice area that takes no time to get to. Only heard good things about the course itself so I'd look into this.

Not really sure what any of them are like in winter

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So much to consider when joining a club.

Proximity, whether it’s private or proprietary owned (the latter likely to encourage pay and play golfers and societies), drainage (playability in winter and wet weather), prices, the requirement to book tee times, practice and clubhouse facilities. The list goes on.

But top of the tree has to be the members. You can tick every box you want but if the members aren't welcoming then give it a swerve. My previous place was one of the nicest courses in the county, but the members were the snootiest, most insular bunch imaginable, cliques wherever you looked. Every comp was the same 4-balls, the same time every week. No drawn events at all. Virtually impossible to get a look in.

When I moved my new place had been described as a pub with a golf course attached to it. Great golfing attributes but the members make it what it is. Within the first six weeks I’d played with more different people than I had in six years at my old place. I’ve been there now sixteen years.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need to book a week in advance usually.

Thats pretty normal, once you get a regular fourball or threeball usually you can play the same time every week, that was my experience.

Turning up and "putting your ball in a chute" kinds of courses are rare these days and usually very expensive with high joining fees.

Any "normal" club where you can turn up and play on a Saturday or Sunday morning is likely not a good club to be at!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
1. williamwood
2. Cathcart Castle
3. whitecraigs
4. east ren

Crawfords your man, i bet he's been a member at all 4 as well:LOL:

The Hound

Visit site
1. williamwood
2. Cathcart Castle
3. whitecraigs
4. east ren

Hi MrPing, i haven't played CC but I have played the other three, and ended up joining Whitecraigs this summer. East Ren is a great course, one of my favourites infact, but what swung it for me was the 9-holer at Whitecraigs which means my kids can play pretty much when they like. It made sense for us all to be at the same club. I wasn't that taken with Williamwood and would put ER and Whitecraigs ahead in terms of layout and condition (but to be fair it's a few years now since I played Williamwood). I live in Stamperland so looked at the same options as you are looking at now. Whitecraigs has been very welcoming, but it is quite a busy club so you need to be organised in getting your tee times booked in advance (though I suspect all four courses are like that this year given Vivid). There are events too to help you get to know other members. Also ER is possibly less playable in the winter than the other three given its on a hill, so how much you intend to play in winter may have a bearing on your choice too.

The Hound

Visit site
Hi MrPing, i haven't played CC but I have played the other three, and ended up joining Whitecraigs this summer. East Ren is a great course, one of my favourites infact, but what swung it for me was the 9-holer at Whitecraigs which means my kids can play pretty much when they like. It made sense for us all to be at the same club. I wasn't that taken with Williamwood and would put ER and Whitecraigs ahead in terms of layout and condition (but to be fair it's a few years now since I played Williamwood). I live in Stamperland so looked at the same options as you are looking at now. Whitecraigs has been very welcoming, but it is quite a busy club so you need to be organised in getting your tee times booked in advance (though I suspect all four courses are like that this year given Vivid). There are events too to help you get to know other members. Also ER is possibly less playable in the winter than the other three given its on a hill, so how much you intend to play in winter may have a bearing on your choice too.
*Vivid - meant Covid

I am on Stamperland Crescent thats why i was keen to join williamwood. Williamwood has said i can play 30 days unrestricted for £75 so im going to give that a try starting first of next month and in between see if i can get a round at the other clubs and then decide.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am on Stamperland Crescent thats why i was keen to join williamwood. Williamwood has said i can play 30 days unrestricted for £75 so im going to give that a try starting first of next month and in between see if i can get a round at the other clubs and then decide.

That’s a cracking introductory offer - fair play! It’s good to see a club trying to entice people through the door.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
There's little better than being in walking distance of your club - I've had that at two clubs (including my current one).

I can only comment on mearns castle but usually pretty busy. Just looked at tee sheet and pretty full every day next week from 8am to 1pm so if you wanted to play at 10am would likely need to book a week in advance as the tee times become available.
From chatting to mates who play at other clubs in the area this is pretty normal, also if you book on at 10am there is every chance others will add onto your booking as its peak time. This might not be ideal when you are learning the game, i know i wanted to play alone until i could get round without embarrasing myself.
Hi mate. When you posted this i didn’t really understand what you ment but my friend who i was playing with the other day was also saying the same thing. If i book on myself at say 10am 3 other random people possibly will show up and tee off with me. Is this the norm at all golf clubs ? I seriously think i would struggle waiting on 3 other people. Even playing with my mate the other day, i was telling him to hurry up. I must just play fast. I just want to hit my ball and go, hate waiting around.
My friend was saying the campsie course we played I could basically walk on most days without booking and even the day we played we only seen two other groups the whole day. Thats what im looking for but thats just too far for me and would soon get annoying traveling there multiple times a week.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Hi mate. When you posted this i didn’t really understand what you ment but my friend who i was playing with the other day was also saying the same thing. If i book on myself at say 10am 3 other random people possibly will show up and tee off with me. Is this the norm at all golf clubs ? I seriously think i would struggle waiting on 3 other people. Even playing with my mate the other day, i was telling him to hurry up. I must just play fast. I just want to hit my ball and go, hate waiting around.
My friend was saying the campsie course we played I could basically walk on most days without booking and even the day we played we only seen two other groups the whole day. Thats what im looking for but thats just too far for me and would soon get annoying traveling there multiple times a week.
Yeah i reckon its gonna be the same at most courses in our area as they are all pretty packed.
I know what you mean about wanting to be quick, i play 9 holes when im on my own in an hour, sometimes takes double that when i play tuesday medal in a 3 ball. Just need to grin and bear it unfortunately.

Diamond

Visit site
Yeah and that's exactly why no club should be offering free rounds.
What they should do is deduct the green fee from the membership fee if someone subsequently joins after playing the round.

During the Autumn/winter of 2019 I contacted 12 clubs and had 5 free rounds. I joined one of the clubs and they have now had £2k fees and several hundred pounds in bar food and beer and my mate joined So let’s say £5k.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Hows the hunt for a club going? I'd probably go with williamwood if i were you. Im lining that up as my next club just so i can walk to the course and have a beer afterwards or perhaps during.
Having to take the car all the time limits the social aspect massively i reckon.

Hows the hunt for a club going? I'd probably go with williamwood if i were you. Im lining that up as my next club just so i can walk to the course and have a beer afterwards or perhaps during.
Having to take the car all the time limits the social aspect massively i reckon.
Pretty sure thats the one im going to join. had a lesson today there and tried to pay for the 30 day trial but just missed the lady who deals with it. So hopefully get the 30 days started next week at the latest and play as much as i can just be sure I enjoy it there.
Its the walking across the road for a game that’s swayed it for me.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Pretty sure thats the one im going to join. had a lesson today there and tried to pay for the 30 day trial but just missed the lady who deals with it. So hopefully get the 30 days started next week at the latest and play as much as i can just be sure I enjoy it there.
Its the walking across the road for a game that’s swayed it for me.
Its a course held in pretty high regard so im sure it'll be spot on. Good to know they do a 30 day trial, might give that a bash myself.

Its a course held in pretty high regard so im sure it'll be spot on. Good to know they do a 30 day trial, might give that a bash myself.
Yea 30 days unrestricted play, 30 min lesson and one hour in the swing studio for £75 great deal.