Peter Finch - Sky sports presenter

D

Deleted member 29109

Yeah I've no idea where that came from. A bit rich to presume they have influence. I'd prefer "content maker" or "web wally" or something. 😄
I think some of the oldies have heard the word influencer and decided it applies to anyone who does SM. 🤣

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
This with bells on. First time I heard of her was on ricks podcast moaning about American golf not stocking enough ladies shoes
The following week she's been employed by them

Then suddenly she's everywhere as a pundit having next to no ability in A presenting and B playing the game

Yet you have people like Iona Stevens who are great players .. they are who I want to see and hear from not a golf influencer

At least with people like finch and Rick is they can play golf

It would be like Jon Robbins presenting on the open , he's funny yes but couldn't play to the level of the golf they are debating on

It’s mad with her like fair play seen a gap in the market and exploited it perfectly

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s mad with her like fair play seen a gap in the market and exploited it perfectly

Yeah don't bother applying for jobs just slag off the company publically on social media and get a job

I mean don't take the facts like ladies golf isn't quite as popular ATM as men's so American golf are not as likely to stock a range of shoes because the demand isn't there and they should be shamed as such ..

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s the same in football. All the big clubs release their new kits and other merch through football influencers because they can reach millions of followers in seconds. They all get the tickets to the games and all that jazz. Infuriating to us oldies, I guess there was something our parents hated 30 years ago that we thought was the best new thing!

Final straw for me was watching some celebrity quiz show (chaser, weakest link or something), didn’t recognise many of the guests and one of them flashed up as a ‘football influencer’. Kill me now.

I guess with Mia it’s no different to Tubes or the golf mates chap. Not professional golfers but they produce something and have personalities that thousands want to watch. How long it all lasts is up for debate!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the same in football. All the big clubs release their new kits and other merch through football influencers because they can reach millions of followers in seconds. They all get the tickets to the games and all that jazz. Infuriating to us oldies, I guess there was something our parents hated 30 years ago that we thought was the best new thing!

Final straw for me was watching some celebrity quiz show (chaser, weakest link or something), didn’t recognise many of the guests and one of them flashed up as a ‘football influencer’. Kill me now.

I guess with Mia it’s no different to Tubes or the golf mates chap. Not professional golfers but they produce something and have personalities that thousands want to watch. How long it all lasts is up for debate!

Tubes had minor celeb status before tho , he was a feature on sky sports

Has brought in an ex footballer who's got gift of the gab, bang there's a channel

Golf mates you don't see on open coverage

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tubes had minor celeb status before tho , he was a feature on sky sports

Has brought in an ex footballer who's got gift of the gab, bang there's a channel

Golf mates you don't see on open coverage
I was just talking about influencers in general.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

The fast paced, chatty, smiley stuff with a few celebrities thrown in is what gets all the views though.

My YouTube channel is semi-serious, but only attracts insomniacs.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The fast paced, chatty, smiley stuff with a few celebrities thrown in is what gets all the views though.

My YouTube channel is semi-serious, but only attracts insomniacs.

Really beats me why people choose to watch bad golf on some of those channels. Much more fun playing mediocre golf and chat with your own mates. No need to watch it in youtube.
The like of Rick Shiels (Surely a Mrs Browns Boys phenomenon - seems to have a big following, when you would wonder why his channel has anyone at all subscribing), Good Good, or the white teeth guy just playing rounds on average courses. Why??? Whats the appeal.

Proper golf chat I like - Crossfield, No Laying Up, etc. Experts talking about golf, rather than just showcasing their own mediocre skills. There is enough PGAT and LPGA to see real skills rather than the never made its.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I genuinely don't think there's a bigger fraud in the world of golf than Mia Baker. Why the world gives air time to these talentless, narcissistic plebs is beyond me.

Best you don’t watch her and her equally annoying and bad golfing mates playing a round.

All they do is laugh and tit about.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to watch a lot of golf related you tube channels, but have given up on the laddish average golf types like Golf Mates. Agree there is little value in watching mediocre golfers play and try to be funny. I do like Tubes' channel though, more so since Bullard joined, as he is a seriously good golfer (watch him compete with Poulter and Westwood in a recent episode - even they were impressed). They also have some interesting guests especially if you also like football.

No Laying Up is excellent, but its as much a travel channel as it is a golf channel in my view.

A few of these Mia type channels have come and gone and I think they have limited shelf life as golf fans will soon realise it becomes repetitive and doesn't help them with their own game or provide any real entertainment, unless they just seek eye candy!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not understanding this. If she can do it, then I could - I'm probably just not considered quite as pretty :p

Thing is Iona is pretty but can actually play golf aswell 🤔 her insight into the game is well for want of a better word insightful

Mia saying oh I'd struggle here.. well thats good so most of us .. relatable I guess 🙄

sjw

Visit site
Thing is Iona is pretty but can actually play golf aswell 🤔 her insight into the game is well for want of a better word insightful

Mia saying oh I'd struggle here.. well thats good so most of us .. relatable I guess 🙄
Thing is I actually don't think Mia is particularly pretty! :p Her friend Emily on YouTube though is super cute (if crap at golf), but she's too busy the other side of the cameras. Booo!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
just had a look and was surprised how few subscribers channels like Mia Bakers have (45k). Even "On the road with iona" only has 38k, and she probably offers the most valued content as shes a very good golfer, presents well but also seems very relatable.

I wonder what the threshold is before you start to have some influence?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
just had a look and was surprised how few subscribers channels like Mia Bakers have (45k). Even "On the road with iona" only has 38k, and she probably offers the most valued content as shes a very good golfer, presents well but also seems very relatable.

I wonder what the threshold is before you start to have some influence?

I guess it'll depend on the audience demographic and how they use social media (i've only ever seen them on YT but just had a look & they've got 170k and 130k followers respectively on 'insta' so 3-4 times their yt followers)