Peter Finch - Sky sports presenter

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wish Tubes all the luck in the world, seems like a lovely chap and very likeable. However, the cockney/football bants is a bit too much for me and so I only watch when they’ve got a decent guest on. Same with Bullard, who’s had some great matches on there in recent months.

sunshine

Visit site
I wish Tubes all the luck in the world, seems like a lovely chap and very likeable. However, the cockney/football bants is a bit too much for me and so I only watch when they’ve got a decent guest on. Same with Bullard, who’s had some great matches on there in recent months.
I tried watching some of their youtube stuff a while ago but found it painful. The lads banter was endearing for a few minutes then started to grate.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Matty Cash is really good at golf…. & Snooker…& football 😣

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Matty Cash is really good at golf…. & Snooker…& football 😣

Some people are just annoyingly good at whatever sport they try.

At 18 a mate from school was offered a pro contract at rugby, pro contract at cricket and semi pro footballer - for a 3 or 4 times a year golfer he shoots comfortably in the low 80s most rounds as well.

In the end he decided to go to uni thinking those opportunities would still be there for him but ended up discovering girls and got fat.

He now lives off his billionaire in-laws so I guess it worked out for him 😂.

The FiL is another one - former pro footballer, still a scratch golfer at 59 and casually throws 100+ turns at darts etc.

B**tards.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

At 18 a mate from school was offered a pro contract at rugby, pro contract at cricket and semi pro footballer - for a 3 or 4 times a year golfer he shoots comfortably in the low 80s most rounds as well.

In the end he decided to go to uni thinking those opportunities would still be there for him but ended up discovering girls and got fat.

The FiL is another one - former pro footballer, still a scratch golfer at 59 and casually throws 100+ turns at darts etc.

B**tards.

Matty cash comes across as a sound lad aswell,makes me sick 😂😂

D

Deleted member 29109

B**tards.
Apart from the billionaire in-laws. That pretty much describes my brother in law.

It’s very annoying when he shoots in the low 70s the two time a year he plays golf.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does Mia Baker manage to get in on the action?

This with bells on. First time I heard of her was on ricks podcast moaning about American golf not stocking enough ladies shoes
The following week she's been employed by them

Then suddenly she's everywhere as a pundit having next to no ability in A presenting and B playing the game

Yet you have people like Iona Stevens who are great players .. they are who I want to see and hear from not a golf influencer

At least with people like finch and Rick is they can play golf

It would be like Jon Robbins presenting on the open , he's funny yes but couldn't play to the level of the golf they are debating on

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This with bells on. First time I heard of her was on ricks podcast moaning about American golf not stocking enough ladies shoes
The following week she's been employed by them

Then suddenly she's everywhere as a pundit having next to no ability in A presenting and B playing the game

Yet you have people like Iona Stevens who are great players .. they are who I want to see and hear from not a golf influencer

At least with people like finch and Rick is they can play golf

It would be like Jon Robbins presenting on the open , he's funny yes but couldn't play to the level of the golf they are debating on
Welcome to the new world order. A world where talent and charisma are secondary to subscribers/followers.

This is what many wanted to engage with young people and entice them in to golf.

My son plays golf because he’s grown up with it between me and his grandad (who is also his coach) but my my two mates sons (same age) know who all the influencers are but couldn’t care two jots about golf, that would mean going outside and abandoning the games consoles.

I do feel for the golf authorities, but they have to strike a balance of making it accessible and enticing to the yoof, but not alienating the cohorts that currently pay the bills, so to speak.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the new world order. A world where talent and charisma are secondary to subscribers/followers.

This is what many wanted to engage with young people and entice them in to golf.

My son plays golf because he’s grown up with it between me and his grandad (who is also his coach) but my my two mates sons (same age) know who all the influencers are but couldn’t care two jots about golf, that would mean going outside and abandoning the games consoles.

I do feel for the golf authorities, but they have to strike a balance of making it accessible and enticing to the yoof, but not alienating the cohorts that currently pay the bills, so to speak.

See I don't mind the golf influencers like Pete, rick. The me and my golf .. crossfield who get people into golf by easily teaching lessons and catchy videos

Just seems odd that someone with not much golf ability is suddenly a pundit for sky

Where as Iona is doing a fantastic job at presenting on the back of a decent career in the game

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is happening in spades on R5 regarding football. When discussing a match or club, instead of speaking to a local journalist or former player they now interview Dave or Karen, who have a podcast put together from their bedroom, no talent, struggle to put a coherent sentence together and fill the time with umms, ahs and likes 🙄. It's painful 🤬

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
See I don't mind the golf influencers like Pete, rick. The me and my golf .. crossfield who get people into golf by easily teaching lessons and catchy videos

Just seems odd that someone with not much golf ability is suddenly a pundit for sky

Where as Iona is doing a fantastic job at presenting on the back of a decent career in the game
I’m on the flip side. Too much of the YouTube content comes across as forced joviality and “bants” that it grates on me.

Someone said it above too, it doesn’t come across as genuinely engaging and is all designed at clicks and subs, in most cases at the cost of quality or insight.

But this is the world and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is happening in spades on R5 regarding football. When discussing a match or club, instead of speaking to a local journalist or former player they now interview Dave or Karen, who have a podcast put together from their bedroom, no talent, struggle to put a coherent sentence together and fill the time with umms, ahs and likes 🙄. It's painful 🤬
Unsurprisingly, Sky are front and centre on this as well. Load of folk I’ve never heard of (and so can’t contextually understand why I should listen to them) talking a language that I struggle to comprehend (and not just because I’m a Fifer).

As above though I do understand that companies have always tried to keep up with the latest trends and I’m sure each and every “passing generation” have found these new methods cringeworthy and un-engaging.

If that makes me a social-media dinosaur, then just call me Fifeasaurus.

D

Deleted member 29109

Many of the presenters from YouTube do a far better job than ex golfers.

They know how to engage with a younger audience and have a similar perspective to golf as your average viewer.

I’m just watching sky coverage and they have Beef trying to explain golf terminology. He’s awful and looks uncomfortable in front of the camera.

There is a good mix at the minute apart from Laura Davies and Beef.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

B**tards.

Shaun Murphy is the same, probably the only person in the world to have had a 9 dart finish, hole in one and a 147 break.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

They should've banned microphone sales during lockdown. Seems everyone has a podcast now.