Perfect Putter training aid

evemccc

Visit site
I saw this a few months ago on a Dan Hendriksen YouTube video — it is designed for measuring speed and break and honing putting judgement skills — and I’ve just thought of it as a potential tool for improving my putting and scoring (on my home course!)

Has anyone ever used one or seen them used? I feel like it could be useful for perfecting reads / speeds on my home course (when quiet of course!)

They’re quite pricy tho…could a stimpmetre be used and would it be nearly as good?

Thoughts appreciated

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Get a puttout and a mat. Then spend 10mins a night hitting from different distances.

Then get a decent ball alignment marker and use it every time on the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get a puttout and a mat. Then spend 10mins a night hitting from different distances.

Then get a decent ball alignment marker and use it every time on the green.
How does putting on a mat help you judge pace on real greens? I've always wondered what the point of that is.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How does putting on a mat help you judge pace on real greens? I've always wondered what the point of that is.
Not sure if "judging" is exactly the appropriate word.
But I think the theory is that if you are able to consistently hit particular speeds on a mat, you simply rock up at a course and hit your standardised distances on the practice green so that you can work out your adjusted paces for the day. Obviously relies on the practice green being representative. I think Peltz uses this theory, but takes 7 chapters to tell you.

I dont bother with any of this and usually find that I'm dialling everything in by about halfway through the back nine...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
To be honest if you have a rollable carpet it’s just as good as a mat but to answer your question. It enables you to get your technique right at a reasonable stimp pace. I use mine over the winter when it’s too cold and the practice greens are out of commission with holes and sand.

Other than that you are correct. Wherever I go a spend a couple of quick outs for distance as you’d be amazed how many practice greens run at a different pace to the course. Then I spend time making sure I’m hitting firm putts from 4-6 feet away.

In the end of the day, putting practice is all about confidence building.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest if you have a rollable carpet it’s just as good as a mat but to answer your question. It enables you to get your technique right at a reasonable stimp pace. I use mine over the winter when it’s too cold and the practice greens are out of commission with holes and sand.

Other than that you are correct. Wherever I go a spend a couple of quick outs for distance as you’d be amazed how many practice greens run at a different pace to the course. Then I spend time making sure I’m hitting firm putts from 4-6 feet away.

In the end of the day, putting practice is all about confidence building.
Fair enough. I think misread your bit about different distances as being for pace control. But as you say, it can be different every time. I usually find if I can find the pace on the first 1 or 2 holes I putt well all day, if I can't get it then I can never adjust properly and get it wrong all day. :LOL:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I
Fair enough. I think misread your bit about different distances as being for pace control. But as you say, it can be different every time. I usually find if I can find the pace on the first 1 or 2 holes I putt well all day, if I can't get it then I can never adjust properly and get it wrong all day. :LOL:
I certainly know that feeling! Sometime I find them all different on the course too.