Pelz Short Game Test

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or even tried the pelz short game test. We did it at county training and it gives you a short game handicap. I did really well and came out on top. Just would like to know how accurate it is?

By the way if you didn't know:
You hit 10 balls on each shot. 4points if you get it within 3 feet. 1 point if you get it within 6. 0 Points out of that.
There are 8 shots they are:
50 yard pitch shot
30 yard pitch shot
20 yard chip from rough
15 yard lob shot
10 yard bunker shot
15 yard bunker shot
10 yard chip from fringe
15 yard chip from rough

I thought it was a really good test and would like to hear any views on it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd seen it in his books but never actually gone out and tried it. Might give it a go this weekend (snow permitting) or over the Christmas break. It'll be the longer bunker shot and the thirty yard pitch that I'll struggle with. Well done for coming top

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pelz recommends trying it once to give yourself a base score, then practising to improve, then testing yourself once a month to monitor your progress. You can also work out your "short game" handicap.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
50 yard pitch shot ... that'll be 0 then
30 yard pitch shot ... might get a few 1 points, maybe more?
20 yard chip from rough .... a few 4 pointers
15 yard lob shot ... um, dunno
10 yard bunker shot ... ZERO, NOWT!!
15 yard bunker shot ... might get a few! all my bunker shots go about 15 yards!!!
10 yard chip from fringe ... that'll be 40 points then!!
15 yard chip from rough ... what's rough?

How do you work out the h'cap?

Sounds fun though. :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here we go

DavePelzsghcap.jpg

:cool:

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is an excellent test!

I have done at whilst practising as a junior and it is not as easy as you would think.

Would recommend it to anyone!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might give this a try when it lightens up a bit, I think I would do reasonably well apart from the bunker shots.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd feel confident of scoring 80 plus. If I played all ten from each spot one after the other, maybe 100+. If I did them randomly one at a time, even 60 could be tough.

Am I right in thinking the max is 8 x 10 x 4 which is 320 points.

ClarkeCAGC

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are you sure that handicap thing is right i did it today and got 162pts which is of the charts?? i got 74 pts on the last two locations??

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You hit 10 balls on each shot. 4points if you get it within 3 feet. 1 point if you get it within 6. 0 Points out of that.

It should be 4 points if you hole it, 2 if you get within 3 ft, 1 within 6ft......

It's a top drill though....now I just have find somewhere that I can do it!!!

RichE

Club Champion
Visit site
Just a thought but this would be a nice 'side' competition at your local golf club. Be a good warm up for a lot of people before an actual comp if people wanted the option to participate and if done over the course of the season, provide a good measure of improvement, or not!
Many a time i've taken 3-4 shots from 50 yards or less to ruin a card and this kind of practice/ test would certainly improve people's short game as it would provide more focus on these aspects whilst under the same on course pressure. Shame it's just started snowing - would have been a good one to try out!! :D

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Bumping an old thread I know but I tried this test today and found it great for focused short game practice....will be a staple of my practice routine this season with a view to sharpening the short game. Great to have a score to aim to beat every time I practice.