Pebble Beach and Sawgrass

gopher99

Visit site
Personally I would skip Sawgrass, not worth the money in my opinion. Having played it years ago I certainly won’t pay the $500 - $600 they are charging now. Pinehurst is about $1500 for a 2 night stay with 3 rounds of golf including the number 2 course, and you could always travel down to Myrtle beach afterwards to play some courses. At least you will be in the same area for the duration of your trip and it will cut down internal flights and travelling. Pinehurst to Myrtle beach is only a couple of hours drive.

sunshine

Visit site
Not a fan of Sawgrass personally, so I'd be looking at doing Pebble, Spyglass and Cypress Point if going all that way.

Then if there is money left possibly somewhere like Riviera or even a drive across to Vegas to Wolf Creek.

I'd try a few tour operators to see what they can do in terms of bookings for you.

Your itinerary would be really cheap as a lot are private courses. You must have some great connections (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Your itinerary would be really cheap as a lot are private courses. You must have some great connections (y)

Private they may be. But you can sometimes get on these courses. That is why I said I'd look into it.

We're currently considering a trip to Big Cedar Lodge in 2023 followed by a few days in Vegas. Negotiations with the boss are ongoing.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds good, although quite an expensive way to play golf at a couple of name courses.

My two bucket list trips to the US are Streamsong in Florida, nearish Tampa, and Bandon in Oregon.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d do Pinehurst, great courses, gorgeous village and Kiawah Island just outside Charleston, great fun small city - there are great other courses at Kiawah but also some excellent ones around Charleston. Both places aren’t corporate Generica.

not having done any of them - Pebble or Sawgrass, I would much rather do a trip to Pinehurst or somewhere else in Carolinas. Many more good, accessable and affordable courses and probably better entertainment options - plus closer!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Private they may be. But you can sometimes get on these courses. That is why I said I'd look into it.

We're currently considering a trip to Big Cedar Lodge in 2023 followed by a few days in Vegas. Negotiations with the boss are ongoing.
If you work out a way to get onto Cypress Point or Pine Valley please let me know.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another recommendation for Pinehurst from me. The Pinehurst Golf resort is just unbelievably good, with a number of excellent courses easily accessible; we played the following in 2019:

Duke University
Carolina Trace
Pine Needles
Mid Pines
Tobacco Road
Pinehurst 2, 5 & 8

Fly Heathrow to Raleigh, Durham and you avoid all the over the top 'America's first line of defence' hassle at the airport.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If anyone is looking for a great place to go and play golf, can I recommend San Diego. Direct flights from London, great accommodation and food, great weather all year round, cool(ish) at the coast, warmer inland, relaxed place.

Torrey Pines is a muni, not my favourite but some people love it, Coronado is another muni on the island where the naval base is (and the beach hotel from Some Like It Hot), some great resort courses like Maderas, Aviara, Steele Canyon, The Grand Del Mar, Salt Creek and lots more.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
The revised plan is flying into Orland, driving up to sawgrass with maybe a night or 2 at daytona beach for some golf, stay at sawgrass for a few nights the back to Orlando for a few more nights and rounds. Probably looking at 10 nights and 7-8 rounds, any must plays on the way to sawgrass or around Orlando? I do fancy stream song but it”s in the other direction and there seems to be nothing around there if we want to go for a meal and a few beers In a town.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you work out a way to get onto Cypress Point or Pine Valley please let me know.

I was at a Nike golf event and overheard some guys in the bar talk about the autumn trip to Pebble Beach. One of them said that he was going out early and hoping to play Cypress Point. I thought 'some chance' and one of the others in his party must have had the same thought and said something. The guy said he thought he would manage and walked away. Then one of the others turned to the guy who had been skeptical and said 'You do realise that [yer man] knows Arnold Palmer, don't you?'.

Oh. Kay.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds good, although quite an expensive way to play golf at a couple of name courses.

My two bucket list trips to the US are Streamsong in Florida, nearish Tampa, and Bandon in Oregon.

Another vote for Bandon. I drove up to one of the club houses for a nosey when passing through with the family on a road trip. Deffo going back.

I've also stayed and played on Seabrook Island next door to Kiawah and fancy that a trip to South Carolina/North Florida could be off the charts.