PCC adjustment

DickInShorts

Visit site
Played at Murcar Friday in a bounce game ( 2 of us) but noticed at least 12 Americans playing the same day.
3 club wind at times - no PCC adjustment

Played Edzell Saturday - same wind (remnants of Tropical storm Alex) - in a Mens Open. PCC adjustment 3 (THREE).

As I understand US players are required to enter all scores I would have expected a PCC adjustment of at least 1 if not 2 on Friday.

I strongly suspect that only Scottish players rounds are included in the PCC calculation for Scottish courses - and that less than 8 of those Scottish players playing Friday put GP scores in!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Murcar Friday in a bounce game ( 2 of us) but noticed at least 12 Americans playing the same day.

Played Edzell Saturday - same wind (remnants of Tropical storm Alex) - in a Mens Open. PCC adjustment 3 (THREE).

As I understand US players are required to enter all scores I would have expected a PCC adjustment of at least 1 if not 2 on Friday.

I strongly suspect that only Scottish players rounds are included in the PCC calculation for Scottish courses - and that less than 8 of those Scottish players playing Friday put GP scores in!
If the US players returned their scores when back in the USA it is probable there weren't enough scores for a PCC to be calculated.
Only scores returned before 'midnight' are used for the PCC.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

My brother has played Trump and Murcar last few days and was going to play Royal Aberdeen today...but he's feeling too wind-blasted and not bothering. He lives just outside the city and seems to be able to play RA without much bother though not a member. He mentioned that Trump is the best links course he's played...and he's played all the NE courses and is a member of Islay...so he knows his links.

wjemather

Visit site
My club pro says the software won't let them change the rating. ? Given it's often very windy it's disappointing
And nor should it. The last thing anyone needs is an individual making a subjective judgement as to what the Course Rating should be each day.

If it's commonly very windy, that will (or should) have been accounted for during the rating process.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
And nor should it. The last thing anyone needs is an individual making a subjective judgement as to what the Course Rating should be each day.

If it's commonly very windy, that will (or should) have been accounted for during the rating process.

I don't know the process ?, I just asked him if they do ever account for it as it was a very windy that day, and he replied they couldn't do it due to the software. Clearly he didn't know how it works either ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club pro says the software won't let them change the rating. ? Given it's often very windy it's disappointing
That's part of the purpose of PCC, to take one person's subjectivity out. But as mentioned by wje, the Rating Team will have taken normal prevailing conditions into account.

D-S

Visit site
That's part of the purpose of PCC; to take one person's subjectivity out. But as mentioned by wje, the Rating Team will have taken normal prevailing conditions into account.
I thought prevailing wind was not part of the rating process, not or non links courses anyway.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought prevailing wind was not part of the rating process, not or non links courses anyway.
It is in Section 7 Clause 4 of the Rating Manual

It does include the statement 'For courses where wind is not a factor. a yardage adjustment for wind should not be made.'

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
If they are anything like our course raters “We only take wind into account on Links Courses”.
This is apparently the interpretation that our rating leaders had/have as well. Odd really as some links courses (Weston-Super-Mare) springs to mind as it is guarded from the sea by a high bank are not as affected by the wind as some hilltop courses, the stunning track that is Cleeve Hill is a classic example.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they are anything like our course raters “We only take wind into account on Links Courses”.
I suggest you contact your County. If that is the case the team leaders need sorting. We only have one true links course in Yorkshire but the wind on the top of the Pennines is vicious.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I doubt that wind was taken in to account where I play (hill top course in the West Country). Days without wind are an absolute rarity.
Some days one of the par 5s is out of reach to most in 3 shots and if the wind is in the other direction the same thing happens on the adjoining par 5 going in the other direction.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt that wind was taken in to account where I play (hill top course in the West Country). Days without wind are an absolute rarity.
Some days one of the par 5s is out of reach to most in 3 shots and if the wind is in the other direction the same thing happens on the adjoining par 5 going in the other direction.
Why would you think they had ignored the procedures in the manual?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't understand why so many players are concerned about PCC. Imo, it was never intended to be a significant factor in the WHS handicapping system. It is not based on weather conditions; it is only based on the scores reported for handicap purposes on that course on that specific day. The fewer number of scores reported for handicap purposes on that course on that day will significantly lower the probability of any PCC adjustment.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I don't understand why so many players are concerned about PCC. Imo, it was never intended to be a significant factor in the WHS handicapping system. It is not based on weather conditions; it is only based on the scores reported for handicap purposes on that course on that specific day. The fewer number of scores reported for handicap purposes on that course on that day will significantly lower the probability of any PCC adjustment.

You are absolutely correct... maybe this should have been explained better in the players' communications?