Patrick Reed positive

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
He also has a chequered US college career but all the players on the team allude to things without full details. Plus split from parents and discussions about his wife being a bit marmite but I think she’s just got his back.

I know there is baggage but I quite admire his resilience and quality of play. Interesting tweet from Eddie Pepperell on Reed today replying to Mcginley saying Reed was putting on a short game masterclass in Dubai “It’s been said before but he really is the best in the world. Stunning on and around the greens.”

We’ll never know him fully from a personal perspective but I watched his feherety interview and he nearly lost his wife when she had a seizure in the bath and nearly drown.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
He’d be in my top three players to watch, all looks so natural and his pitching is ridiculous. He’s done a lot of odd things but to just watch think he’s brilliant. Can’t wait to see who he plays with in next year’s Ryder Cup

sunshine

Visit site
I have just done a search on negative press regarding Reed and barring leaving a tournament a little early in a huff I can't see anything that goes further than someone just having a bad day while being heckled by fans and accepting a penalty without apologising, which from my perspective would have been great but not necessary.

Is it more of an accumulative thing because I cant see him as any better or worse than the average person.

Where did you do your search? In the kitchen cupboard?

Try an internet search. There are several search engines available, but there's one called google which is quite popular. ;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where did you do your search? In the kitchen cupboard?

I always start with the sofa cushions and move on to looking under/behind it.

I looked at a lot of stuff and tried to find things from both angles to see if I could filter out the unbiased positive and negative.

With a bit more reading I see there are a few more instances but I don’t see enough to hate the guy, I wouldn’t say I am a fan either. Everyone has things they could have handled differently or better, what matters is how they handle themselves after the instance (and been served punishment if required).

If called out on things he could do worse than just try to not do it again.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
T

I looked at a lot of stuff and tried to find things from both angles to see if I could filter out the unbiased positive and negative.

With a bit more reading I see there are a few more instances but I don’t see enough to hate the guy, I wouldn’t say I am a fan either. Everyone has things they could have handled differently or better, what matters is how they handle themselves after the instance (and been served punishment if required).

The problem is (well not sure it’s a problem) that the game of golf is based on honesty and we all despise any sort cheating as it questions the integrity of our game.

sunshine

Visit site

It would be irrational to hate someone if you've never seen him do anything wrong.

But as jigger mentioned, cheating is about the most the most taboo thing in golf. People would forgive him more quickly for murdering puppies than improving his lie in a bunker.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Met him at an airport just after his first Ryder cup appearance in 2014, he won 3.5 of 4 points in an otherwise poor US team.

He was understandably upset to have lost (and being benched by Tom when that made no sense) but could not have been nicer. So there’s another positive. Yes there are incidents and none of them are a good look. But Imo golf (and without doubt the Ryder cup) would be less without him.