Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How can the subject of tanker driver shortages and solutions be discussed without reference to policy as that is a contributing factor. All that happens is that some reasons and solutions can be discussed but some cannot, and that is inherently imbalanced.

I note that my post actually and implicitly supportive of some things the government is calling for, and that others have posted on in this thread without censure, has been removed.

Close the thread.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How can the subject of tanker driver shortages and solutions be discussed without reference to policy as that is a contributing factor. All that happens is that some reasons and solutions can be discussed but some cannot, and that is inherently imbalanced.

I note that my post actually and implicitly supportive of some things the government is calling for, and that others have posted on in this thread without censure, has been removed.

Close the thread.

1. If the media hadn't caused the current panic buying, there would be enough drivers.
2. How do you know other posts haven't been removed?
3. No, the thread will not be closed, no-one put you in charge of this thread.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1. If the media hadn't caused the current panic buying, there would be enough drivers.
1. That is a subject of debate. I can think of other contributing causes that I cannot post on as they will deemed political.
2. There are plenty of posts on causes and solutions on this thread. I can think of other contributing causes and solutions that I cannot post on as they will deemed political.
3. I requested that the thread be closed as Mod has warned, because 1) and 2) result in the discussion being imbalanced/biased. I think that that is obvious. That alternative causes and solutions might, in the eyes of some, be debunked should not exclude them from being raised and discussed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Everyone is always looking to blame the media etc without looking inwards at themselves

The initial media stories weren’t stating there was a fuel shortage beyond stating a few stations were having to close due to a lack of deliveries

It seems the general public will always look to find someone else to blame beyond themselves.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. That is a subject of debate. I can think of other contributing causes that I cannot post on as they will deemed political.
2. There are plenty of posts on causes and solutions on this thread. I can think of other contributing causes and solutions that I cannot post on as they will deemed political.
3. I requested that the thread be closed as Mod has warned, because 1) and 2) result in the discussion being imbalanced/biased. I think that that is obvious. That alternative causes and solutions might, in the eyes of some, be debunked should not exclude them from being raised and discussed.

Then explain why the week prior to the fuel stories hitting the headlines there were no shortages.

As @Liverpoolphil just posted there were a small number of deliveries that were behind affecting a small number of petrol stations.

PS it wasn't a government minister that leaked the meeting where this was discussed but a civil servant which is now under investigation.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's naive to not consider that there is a bigger picture behind all this.

Think of every Christmas time, there will be a news story stating that toy X that all the kids will want could be difficult to get hold of due to demand out stripping supply.... Then low and behold people rush out to buy and cause the "predicted" issue. It happened over the last year with Xbox and ps5 as well.... This petrol is simply the adult version of it.

I'm not surprised this thread has taken a political tone...in recent years BreXit has been shoe horned in and blamed for everything under the sun because it fits the agenda. We know the score and how it will be the scapegoat for everything rather than looking for a real reason.

As for petrol.... Asda this morning was empty, fully opened fuel pumps and no issues whatsoever.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's very simple and politicians have little real influence in the short term.

JIT manufacture and Lean Supply Chains have no resilience because the buffers of stock no longer exist. The UK fuel sector operates JIT so when there's a disruption or abnormal peak in demand the SC falls over: ìt is a reality of a society where "pile it high and sell it cheap" is the norm.

Media induced demand spikes will find the vulnerability. Its happening internationally. You might remember the car industry being disrupted by microprocessor shortages. You will see more international impact as certain nations flex their muscles on rare earth metals, energy etc

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Asda this morning was empty, fully opened fuel pumps and no issues whatsoever.

Not sure where you are based but it’s definitely a regional thing. I didn’t panic buy but now regret it. Had plans for tomorrow but looks like I’ll be cancelling as there is no where that I can find around me that has petrol. Can’t even queue at the moment, just closed forecourts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure where you are based but it’s definitely a regional thing. I didn’t panic buy but now regret it. Had plans for tomorrow but looks like I’ll be cancelling as there is no where that I can find around me that has petrol. Can’t even queue at the moment, just closed forecourts.
The issue started as a SE thing and it seems as though that remains as the rest of the country stabilises. I'm guessing when the military tankers come into use tomorrow that they will be concentrated in your neck of the woods in order to relieve the pressure. Hopefully you will be okay soon ?

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just outside Hastings... But yesterday I was at my parents in Tonbridge. All the garages en route were open and no huge queues.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mrs was out shopping at Sainsburys... saw no queue at the petrol station, filled up and doen in about 10 mins... But still no diesel. .. hopefully next week, we get diesel supplies.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out and about this morning and, while we still have queues, they seem to be shorter and less disruptive to other traffic than recently.
Proof will be tomorrow and Tuesday.....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Car tells me its got 111 miles left in the tank....didn't go to golf today as that's a 35 mile round trip...last time I was out and about on Friday I went past 5 garages...four of them of them the forecourts were coned off, the fifth had a queue of traffic some 25 vehicles long blocking a main road and causing significant traffic issues.

Missus was out on Thursday evening and said that most garages were the same that she went past.

No real need to go out anywhere frivolous this coming week so hopefully by the time I use up my 111 miles on important non-frivolous journeys, then perhaps there might be a little bit less of this madness.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just had a whizz round the local filling stations in Farnham to check them out for a friend who is almost empty and needs fuel for work tomorrow and through the week. All four closed as out of fuel. Haven’t checked a fifth and sixth just outside of town Aldershot way.

I will update the forum on local situation as best I can find out myself and ascertain from others, given H4H on Friday and pre-H4H on Thursday will see many forummers in this immediate locality. But obviously I’m not going to be able to be driving around looking near and not so near…as I’ve not got that much in the tank myself.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a whizz round the local filling stations in Farnham to check them out for a friend who is almost empty and needs fuel for work tomorrow and through the week. All four closed as out of fuel. Haven’t checked a fifth and sixth just outside of town Aldershot way.

I will update the forum on local situation as best I can find out myself and ascertain from others, given H4H on Friday and pre-H4H on Thursday will see many forummers in this locality. But obviously I’m not going to be driving around looking near and not so near…
There was fuel at the the Morrisons in Aldershot yesterday