Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From experience putting military on the streets for anything causes more public concern not less.

It did result in a good number of well made cakes though.
Well you need to direct and voice your concerns towards the government who, given your view on this matter, you must believe clearly don’t understand that it is both impractical and risks worsening the situation. Meanwhile I will accept your voice of experience and no longer argue for military involvement.

Last edited:

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see the highlighted video on sky news of a lady filling up water bottles with petrol.

I don't know if I'm more upset about her filling the water bottles with petrol.... Or the fact that she poured the water in a bin first. Who pours liquid in a bin?

Just proof again that people need protection from themselves.... But yet people like this get as much of a say as the rest of us.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well you need to direct and voice your concerns towards the government who, given your view on this matter, you must believe clearly don’t understand that it is both impractical and risks worsening the situation. Meanwhile I will accept your voice of experience and no longer argue for military involvement.

You convinced me, I’m off to work
64667140-CB35-4E63-91D6-92A379ACA2DB.jpeg

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
So all the talk of key workers getting special status to get fuel

Didn't the last lockdown mean every single man and his dog was a key worker?
The key worker was for child care, the ones with priority access to shops were emergency services and nhs.

Still think the key worker stuff is wrong because of what you already hint at.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The key worker was for child care, the ones with priority access to shops were emergency services and nhs.

Still think the key worker stuff is wrong because of what you already hint at.

There is a massive difference between key and essential workers

Railway industry is always essential as we allow millions to get to work without the need for a blooming car

Pleased to report our ridership is up.. finally people realise you don't have to drive just because you can

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The fewer people you train the shorter the queues down the line.

But seriously, is there a longer term plan of training students on electric vehicles?
I learned stuff in my CBT which are already redundant on my NIU scooter.
I've touched on this in previous threads..
At some point EV tests(automatic) will take over from manual ICE tests.
As we won't be able to buy new ICE cars, from whenever it is, the switch to EV is an issue of timing.
Most instructors run fairly new cars - you get warranties and they're less likely to fall apart.they do take a bit of a hammering.
As EV takes over, more and more instructors will switch
The problem is that your average test pass is in the 17-20 age range and they're not going to be able to afford an EV as their first car.
It'll be an old manual car - but their test will have been an automatic test and so they won't be allowed to drive a manual...
Catch 22 - stay manual and hope your car holds together or switch and have pupils pass who then can't afford an EV.
Its going to be a good few years before EV 2nd hand prices drop, in the necessary numbers, to the level of a current 15 year old manual Fiesta.
Hopefully, for me, I'll be out of the game before the song and dance begins..

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don’t have any concerns, not sure where I wrote that. Having been the lackie for a few governments of all colours ranging from digging graves, picking up the public’s bins, flood and snow relief and being a non trained fireman I get slightly hacked of when a member of the public shouts for the military to deal with something that, if it wasn’t for the normal selfish public, is not required.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The whole key worker thing is clearly a matter of some debate. Where do you draw the line. I had a key worker letter from the last lockdown as solicitors who worked in the preparation of wills (I helped our firm with the rush as the pandemic kicked in) but really do not consider myself one. Does anyone with an NHS ID count or is it only frontline staff and their necessary support (guessing there is quite a bit of back office admin in the NHS as well as those doing vital medical work). If they are not on base, how do the forces get to work to help out etc. Suddenly your list of key workers does not massively limit who gets to use reserved petrol stations.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The whole key worker thing is clearly a matter of some debate. Where do you draw the line. I had a key worker letter from the last lockdown as solicitors who worked in the preparation of wills (I helped our firm with the rush as the pandemic kicked in) but really do not consider myself one. Does anyone with an NHS ID count or is it only frontline staff and their necessary support (guessing there is quite a bit of back office admin in the NHS as well as those doing vital medical work). If they are not on base, how do the forces get to work to help out etc. Suddenly your list of key workers does not massively limit who gets to use reserved petrol stations.

We've got friends who work for in media and they were classed as key workers as if they were journalists however one worked in accounts whilst the other in the digital marketing department. They made full use of the key worker status in terms of having their kids in school throughout the pandemic and to be fair I didn't blame them, they were put on a list and made the most of it.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Grant Shapps says the fuel supply issue is starting to stabilize. Perhaps we are just finally running out of idiots.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So why are some posts deleted as political but posts complaining about "Trots", as if there actually are any such people involved, are OK?

Gosh, there are several threads that cannot be anything else... Given the context of what it replied to, I'd would have hoped that you would have seen the attempt at humour or the irony of certain left-leaning members of this esteemed forum calling for "troops on the streets!"

Apologies for any offence caused!

This situation is one of Joe Public's own making. Sadly.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gosh, there are several threads that cannot be anything else... Given the context of what it replied to, I'd would have hoped that you would have seen the attempt at humour or the irony of certain left-leaning members of this esteemed forum calling for "troops on the streets!"

Apologies for any offence caused!

This situation is one of Joe Public's own making. Sadly.

Never blame the public, especially the public that are causing the problems.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely I just qualify?
I train people to pass their driving tests so they can go out and buy a car and then fill up with pe.....oh hang on a minute:unsure:
This is basically your fault.;)

Pity we don’t have lessons in not being a dick.( general public do qualify.)

Most NHS staff were off work during the pandemic due to the kids being off school.
So add Teachers and school staff to that list.