pairings

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Some pretty tasty pairings announced for practice...

Is it me or does the American team start to look an awful lot stronger in this format - sure Taylor and Johnson isn’t going to have the Europeans losing any sleep but the others are a match for our choices

I'm even more convinced this is going to be a lot closer than everyone is predicting - my feeling is that it's going to come down to the line-ups for the last day and if Lehman does a reverse Curtis Strange and picks a stonking running order we could be in trouble

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Woosnam's so predictable - what's with the 'national' pairings ? Garica and Olly apparently don't get on too well and Woosnam's justification was that Garcia needs a "mentor". Garcia is the top-ranked European in the world and has played really well at the last three Ryder Cups. He must feel like he's been slapped in the face a bit after hearing that from Woosnam.

I like the idea of Donald and Casey playing together but I think the Swedes need to be broken up. I'd go for Westwood and Garcia, Stenson and Harrington, Olazabal and Karlsson and Clarke and McGinley, who are close mates. Monty and Howell could be good. Any thoughts ? Hopefully Woosnam is trying to be cunning and confuse us all....

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree the USA are looking a little menacing - although one thing that has occurred to me is that if Woods/Furyk and Mickelson/Di Marco are certainties - will they end up playing all four rounds of the fourballs and foursomes paired up?..if so tiredness has to play a role and if the Europeans end up taking two or even three of those eight points (not unlikely considering records) then they have to be well set to take points off the rest of the US lineup
...Can't wait for it!

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure tirdness will that much of factor for thise four - they're all physically super fit guys, the K Club is pretty easy walking and unlike a lot of resort courses the green to tee walks arent that bad

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
fair enough but playin all four still makes it likely that they will slip up somewhere and it might get better if either pairing suffers a loss early on...what does Lehman do then?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
that's the nightmare scenario for sure

I cant see JJ Henry pulling it out of the fire if Tiger, Phil and DiMarco are seen off