'Ow Much!?

Springveldt

Visit site
I just the other day bought 5 polos from County Golf at £3.75 each. I'm not sure some of them will be quite big enough, but at that price it's worth a go. Adidas, FWIW.
Best golf site on the net. I used to be a bit of a clothes snob when I started golf, would only wear the well known makes. Now I've got loads of Cutter & Buck, Stuburt etc gear in the wardrobe with a lot coming from County Golf. I'm refusing to pay £45 for a t-shirt or £65 for a pair of trousers anymore.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2nd hand clubs, and last seasons bags, clothing etc is the way to keep the costs down.
The price of new stuff is obscence now - bet you could quite easily spend 3 grand kitting yourself fully out with the top of the range (ish) equipment.

And the rest! I played with a guy at the weekend, new to the game (3years) but is very competitive and already close to cat1 at 7hc. He’s easily spent £6k

Top spec power caddy gps trolly,
Taylor made tour bag,
stealth driver and 3w
G425 5w & hybrid
Miura forged irons
Coney wedge set
Ping pld putter (confessed to having 2 Scottie’s on the Naughty step)

Given the stealth was this years go pic I would guess there’s some ping woods sitting somewhere unused also.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
To be fair does anyone ever pay full price for a pizza express? its one of those places that constantly has deals/vouchers available. Similar with Domino's etc.

Golf equipment is ludicrously expensive though, I've spent a lot of money on my kit but the only things I've paid full price for is my putter (which was a birthday present) and my irons (again, a birthday present... that was a good year). For things I buy myself I end up using the likes of Callaway pre-owned which has so far provided me with 3 clubs that were stated to have been in "average" condition but that have arrived with the stickers still on the faces - ie brand new.

For clothing I just raid the sale rails or county golf, I might not be wearing the latest and greatest but it's all decent gear. I've certainly never paid more than £35 for a polo or £45 for a pair of trousers. My two favourite pairs of shorts were £12 each from Lidl.

To be fair, with no wiFi or phone signal that we could connect to, we were a bit stuffed for using that. But that's another irritation that you have to sign up to Apps to get the best price.

Still, once bitten twice shy, the business will go elsewhere in future.

sunshine

Visit site
The price of oil has increased due to macro economic conditions. Bp doesn’t set the price of oil, it just sells it in the market at the index price. BP’s costs to produce oil are essentially the same regardless of the price of oil. Hence super profits and super pay outs. But look back to results impacted by covid and it wasn’t so rosy.
But these profits trickle down: the staff are paid more, they spend more, but anything they buy that is impacted by oil prices is more expensive (basically everything), and so they want to be paid more which means prices go up again and everything keeps spiralling.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But look back to results impacted by covid and it wasn’t so rosy.

• BP gross profit for the quarter ending June 30, 2022 was $22.140B, a 133.05% increase year-over-year.
  • BP gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $58.968B, a 47.44% increase year-over-year.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2021 was $44.121B, a 56.42% increase from 2020.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2020 was $28.207B, a 43.11% decline from 2019.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2019 was $49.582B, a 0.53% increase from 2018.
It must have been hell, only making $28b profit.
Never mind, with the 78% increase due in Oct, that will mean a twelve month profit of over $100b

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/BP/bp/gross-profit

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
  • BP gross profit for the quarter ending June 30, 2022 was $22.140B, a 133.05% increase year-over-year.
  • BP gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $58.968B, a 47.44% increase year-over-year.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2021 was $44.121B, a 56.42% increase from 2020.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2020 was $28.207B, a 43.11% decline from 2019.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2019 was $49.582B, a 0.53% increase from 2018.
It must have been hell, only making $28b profit.
Never mind, with the 78% increase due in Oct, that will mean a twelve month profit of over $100b

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/BP/bp/gross-profit

making good profits is not a dirty pasttime. They are in a competetive market and have gone through some very lean years. They need big profits to transition into the green future that everyone wants. Better a British local company does this and ploughs billions back into pushing the UK green agenda than others. And a large portion of their profits, which they do not break out, is from oil trading, not the pure drill, collect and sell business. Good on BP - and, with a boss that has doubled his salary in a great year, he still earns only 60% of the guy running the PGA tour!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
. They need big profits to transition into the green future that everyone wants. Better a British local company does this and ploughs billions back into pushing the UK green agenda than others.

$3.2bn since 2016 to be precise, and $84bn on oil and gas exploration and development over the same period.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Making good profits is not a dirty pastime.

Sorry Paul, there are "good" profits and there are "immoral" profits.
I don't begrudge anyone making a profit, but make it out of those that can afford the product and who can choose whether to buy the product in the first place. What they are doing is wrong in so many ways. At least Robin Hood differentiated.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
$3.2bn since 2016 to be precise, and $84bn on oil and gas exploration and development over the same period.

we are in a different place now. They were not into renewables in 2016 - they were more worried about saving themselves as a company post a $70bn+ cost of the oil spill in Mexico

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is when people are going hungry.
They are making record profits now and what are they going to do in October?
PUT THEIR PRICES UP BY 78%

not sure what you are referring - i don't think diesel is going up 78% in October! But the margins on selling oil at the pumps is very low and subsidised/ enhanced by retail activities.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Paul, there are "good" profits and there are "immoral" profits.
I don't begrudge anyone making a profit, but make one out of those that can afford the product and who can choose whether to buy the product in the first place. What they are doing is wrong in so many ways. At least Robin Hood differentiated.

i hate the utility risis as much as anyone Rob. Same high petrol prices, just trying to have a little reality check to the Guardian inspired scare stories. They are a lot more complex than the headlines

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My golf kit used today on our Captain's Day.

Cobra F speed driver and 16d hybrid. Cost £25 each in 2010.
Cobra 20d hybrid. Cost £14 this January.
Reid Lockhart irons 3-SW bought a few days ago for £85.51. (£9.50 each) See them on, "I bought today" thread. Lovely grips.
John Letters Golden Goose bought earlier this year £3.
EJP Price bag bought earlier this year £3.
(Those last two were part of a 14-club-and-bag set purchase, so I've divided the total price paid by 15 and rounded up a fair bit! The other clubs were Greentree Accurist Lee Trevino woods 1,2,3,4 and irons 3-SW)
Titleit Turfgilder trolley bought brand new in the 1980s - can't remember price.

I bought a set of brand new Ping G10/i10 in 2008. I had loads of pro-shop credit so only had to cough up about £150 cash at the time. May be selling these soon.

This year I have sold one full set of vintage clubs, one set of irons, one driver, a 3-and-5 wood set and two putters.
I'm hoping for an eventual net-zero cost (or better) for my remaining stuff which includes about 10 sets of fantastic classic clubs and my above (mainly) 21st century set.

Beat my 8th best score by 1 shot today - should be 5.3 tomorrow. Hoping to be much lower by end of Sept. Well, we all live in hope, don't we?

So I could fork out thousands for all the latest gear and fittings and maybe lower my handicap by 1.5 or something.
Where will that get me exactly as I trundle towards my dotage? More enjoyment? I doubt it. :D

And at this point, I would like to say very special thank you to @Crow for introducing me to the Vintage Golf/Classic Clubs genre and all the advice given with regard to my purchases over the last 18 months.

I'm having as much enjoyment from my golf as at anytime in the last 50 years.
I haven't had to spend loads to achieve that objective.

Aren't golf shoes pricey, though? Could not bring myself to go second hand for those.

EDIT: Results in. I came equal 20th place out of 151 entrants in today's Captain's Day medal.

Last edited: